Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I have been wanting to post about this for a while, so I apologize if this is old news.

I try to leave the ads on at BGG. In fact, BGG is one of the few sites for which I disable Adblock (the browser plug-in), even though I already contribute at the level which allows me to use the site's ad blocking option. The ads have introduced me to some interesting Kickstarter projects, and even saved me money, such as the CSI Secret Santa discount code I heard about from an ad.

Many ads are not relevant, which is fine. However, a few months ago, the advertising system on BGG got a lot worse. There are at least four things in particular:

1 Some words are underlined like URLs, but show supposedly "relevant" advertising. See the first image below.

2 An annoying "Similar" button that appears over images. See the second image below. Both of these seem to come from "DealCabby."

3 Video ads, which play audio in the background and are hard to find and shut off.

4 Sidebar of ads, which appears on the right side and will occasionally cover other ads. The worst case is the sidebar covering a video ad. I hear audio, but I don't know where it is coming from.

This got annoying enough today that I am turning off the ads with the Adblock browser plug-in. I don't see an option to disable them separately in the BGG Ad Block page (third image below).

Am I right about the items above? Is there a better way to deal with this? Thanks.

UPDATE: It turns out that this is caused by adware... quite annoying. See replies below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terrible Advertising System
That's not BGG. You have some adware installed on your PC.

Searching "dealcabby adware" on Google gives many results for removal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
MVives wrote:
2 An annoying "Similar" button that appears over images. See the second image below. Both of these seem to come from "DealCabby."

I could be wrong, but i don't think those DealCaddy ads are BGG originated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webster
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
Totally NOT a Cylon!
badge
Keep watching... he eventually makes it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't experience any of those things you're talking about and I do not run adblocker for this site.

I think you have malware on your system.

Topic subject should read 'Terrible Advertising Malware on my PC' cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha... you are right! Apparently this one is not a virus, but can be installed by other apps. I never choose install any of those optional browser extensions, but I guess I was not given a choice for this one. It shows up plainly in the Windows program list:

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cline
United States
South Whitley
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure, however, that the audio/video ads are part of the actual system. They're infrequent, but have woken us up a few times in the middle of the night, as my PC starts talking to us from across the house. Gotta stop leaving the page up, or start muting it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.