Popular Tags: contest [+] christmas [+] [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merry Christmas!

I’d like to thank everyone who played in my second annual Christmas Contest. I had fun checking back in to see what game people had guessed, the methods they used to decide and read their comments as well.

I had more than triple the guesses that I had last year which was really nice, but I'm still kind of surprised that there wasnt more considering how simple and fun it was. I have a bunch of Geekbuddies who were mysterously absent from making an appearance and I ran the contest as long as feasible to allow them all a chance to show up! I'm sorry if you missed, out, you''ll have to wait until next year!!

I learned a few lessons from last year's contest and had a list of several games that I had in mind if noone picked the first one (it could happen so I thought a back-up or two would be nice). Where last year, it was a game I had a duplicate of, this year that was not the case. During the year I made a purchase with just this contest in mind, just in case there were some Sherlock Holmes types out there who were checking the post from last year.

So I'm sure you want to know who won...

Well, first of all, you all took the time to respond and I’m going to take the time to do the same. Think of these as little Christmas Ecards from me to you! These are the names of everyone who played this year in order of their guesses.

Jonathan Witt (jmw23) was the first to make a guess. He wanted Aladdin's Dragon's and was correct when he said that I seemed to like it. He chose it because it was one that he wanted That was a good guess but not the right one Jonathan, Im sorry. I see you enjoy AGoT as much as I do - though Im not a fan of Diplomacy at all! Go figure. Have you read the books?

Robert Zurfluh (Noaceyet) Was straight and to the point... La Citta. La Sorry Robert. I DO need to break that one out again, it has been way too long. You have Aladdin's Dragons as one of your Hot 10 games. I may have to look around for a copy to possibly give away next year since so many want it.

Dave Wilson (daw65) Arkham Horror was a good guess with the exception that I dont own a copy... yet. I think this game has potential and I surly dont want to write it off after one bad experience. Dave I see you are in my area (sort of). Have you been to any of the local gaming conventions around here? - I'm wondering if I may already know of you.

Ted Torgerson (TedTorgerson) went right for the gusto and picked Carabande! Man you gotta like a guy who thinks that highly of you. I WISH I had even considered giving away Carabande but I mean..C'mon it's like one of the Holy Grails of collecting board games. I wish I was half as generous as you think I am! lol!! Ted is an Axis & Allies fanatic like I am a Man O War one. How'd you get that image to work in your profile?? I have had ZERO luck with that.

Kane Klenko (Favre4MVP) Also picked Carabande - and right after Ted did too! I'm thinking I should make a list of a few games that wont be considered just so people can pick something where they have a realistic chance of winning. Kane is the creator of the Very 1st Ultimate Trade list and already a Geekbuddy of mine. You should check out his ratings if you have me for a Geekbuddy. (pssst... I'm not on your list though! lol)

Erik Von Burg (djbrickhaus) Wasted no time and picked Formula De. Although it doesnt get played like it used to, it does come out on occasion and is a nice way to spend an hour or two with a beer and pretzels group of friends. Eric has over 200 game in his collection but needs a few more Geekbuddies - I encourage you to take a peek at his collection and see how compatible you are with him.

Tom Jukic (Dreadnaut) Took a wild guess with Ivanhoe. He's a big Formula De fan and also likes George R.R. Martin. Have you played A Game of Thrones yet Tom?

Drew (Drew1365) wanted my original copy of Torres. Sorry Drew but I do still play that on occasion. We all need to encourage drew to add his gaming collection to his profile so we can check it out!

Matthew Vantries (Burnham) wanted me to give up my Secret Santa gift (Colossal Arena) from last year! I love that one Matthew! He is into a lot of GW miniatures games so I HAVE to ask... ever try Man O War?? Btw, is Woodbury anywhere near Rosemount?? (I have gaming friends there).

Tom Vasel (TomVasel) thought it might be Atilla. Good guess Tom, but I think I'm gonna hold onto that one a bit longer as I've only had a chance to play it a few times. I'm glad you found the story of this contest from last year heartwarming and got the Secret Santa exchange going, there will be a LOT of happy Geeks this year. Btw I've finally started to listen to all the backlogged Dice Tower podcasts I've had for a bit. I'm really enjoying them. It's weird cause I agree with both of you at different times! Joe has got it right about certain Euro games as you do about some of his Wargames. Keep up the good work!

Mitch Willis (otha62) chose Puerto Rico because of my not so high level of enthusiasm for the game these days (and I've neverwon the damn thing). Great Guess Mitch and I considered it, but the wife still loves it so it's staying here for another year. Nice collection of games there Mitch.

Michael Chapel (MWChapel) said it was Tongiaki, which if I had let the wife pick the game, it could EASILY have been this one. She didnt care for it much, but I really like it. It stays for now. Michael I see you are a big Dune fan, have you read any of the stuff by Herbert's son? Wow, another profile with a pic! How are you guys doing that? I've tried adding pics using the BGG feature and I get nothing! Good selection of 10's there too Michael. Check out Michael's Gaming Timeline in his profile too.

Melissa the talking Badger (melissa) made an astute guess y choosing Ticket to Ride: Europe, knowing I still had the original! Smart thinking but wrong guess Melissa I'm sorry. Melissa, you'd get along with my wife great, your favorite TV is just like hers. I know you are a true member of the scooby gang too as only they refer to their favorite show by just the single word - Buffy. Looking at your collection I see we like lots of the same stuff too, it's Geekbuddy time!

Brian Campbell (lambda) made another great guess with Java. I don't get to play it that often and I like Tikal better, but that wasnt the one I picked. Thanks for adding me too, I plan to go back through this list and really look at everyone's collection and add me some new GB's as well. I juggle a bit too, though Im not proficient at much besides the standard 3 ball. You have a lot of abstracts that you like, which one is the one you couldn't do without?

Chris Sjoholm (Chris Sjoholm) deduced it would be another light Knizia game and guess Formula Motor Racing as last year Dane got Galaxy: The Dark Ages. Excellent strategy, but I'm afraid it isnt the correct guess. Chris, your rating system is elaborate!! Age of steam is a 8.75 and Carcassonne is a 8.14! How the heck do you decide how to determine it to such a fine degree??

Joe von Brainwash (rinseandspit) Picked another game that my wife (and sister) didnt like, Nautilus. I REEEAAAALLY want to like this one more as the bits are so cool! Turns out If been playing wrong, so until I give it a fair shake, it's staying here. Mike's comment with his guess was pretty funny too...

A game that should be full of 20,000-leaguey goodness but like the president of the AV Club always gets a wedgy when it tries to hang with the cool kids.

Richard Pardoe (RPardoe) first thought about Formula De, then switched gears and guessed Speed Circuit by Avalon Hill (which is far better!) You were right about then having to get rid of all my Formula De tracks too so good reasoning. Also you figured I might have a spare copy and you are right I do have some duplicates though not of Speed Circuit). Great guess Richard, but not the correct one. Richard I see you are in San Ramon, so surely you've been to a local gaming con haven't you?

Becky Zamborsky (Zambogirl) wants my copy of Mexica! Boy, that sure is a fun game and I need to reeally play it some more before I let it get away. Maybe next year though! Btw, Where is that hubby of your in his Santa's Hat this year? I was expecting to see a guess from him as well! Love the selection of 10's you have Becky.

Jon Ben (JonBen) REALLY put on his thinking cap and tried to logically figue out what I was going to give away. Actually several of the games he listed I even considered. He ultimately chose ZOMBIES (which he already knew wasnt the game somehow). A good guess but not the right one Im sad to say. However, I am his FIRST evaaaar Geekbuddy!! I am honored and humbled.

Michael Bourgeois (mbourgeois) made a brilliant guess with Roborally as it is once again available and would make a good gift. I'm sorry I didn't pick that one Michael! Another Fire and Ice fan, go play A Game of Thrones!

Karl Deckard (djflippy) took another guess at Colossal Arena but by now you know that wasnt correct. Karl designs video games (and some REALLY good ones too - Half Life, Metroid Prime!) I also like your game ratings which is why I've had you as a Geekbuddy for some time now.

Jeremy Likens (Royalflush) a new use to BBG, made some great deductions on the way to making an incorrect guess of Taj Mahal. All the ones you didnt pick are great games too Jeremy, maybe next year!

David DeGregory (gamer_dd)Picked Bohnanza cause it sounded like fun. It is fun and you should get a copy, but its not the right guess David. Better luck next year my friend!

Stu Skywalker (Stuey) made a Kingly guess by deciding against Kingmaker and then picking Wizard Kings (both are incorrect Im sorry to say). Stu has some good Old school AH games as his highest rated games.

Matt Cobb (cobbz20) read my comments about probably not playing 1776 again and guessed that. Good thinking! But it isnt the game I chose. Nice collection of games there Matt.

Ben Harris (Hallow) boldly stated Cartagena - to which I'm forced to reply is not the correct game. I must be out of it completely because I couldnt tell you I had ever even heard of ONE of the groups you enjoy listening to!

Stink Beard (dreadpirate)thought he found a loophole and guessed "other" just incase noone guessed correctly, he'd win! That was clever Stink Beard, but there IS a definate winner.

Jeff Paul (TnT!) gave us another cleaver entry by guessing my unpublished prototype. I wouldn't (yet) subject that on anyone Jeff, there is still a lot of work to do on it.

Jonathan Haar (CMOT Dibbler) took a stab in the dark with Dwarven Dig. Unfortunately for you , my copy is autographed by Japji who designed it, so it's staying here with me! Anyone who rates Man O War a 10 is alright in my book! have you joined up over at my yahoo group for Man O War? Check it out, we have over 1100 members and it's still a pretty active and friendly bunch of fans of the game. Btw, Happy Holidays to you too Jonathan.

Bob Matthews (bob_matthews) bought looked at my favorite game of Man O War and thought maybe I'd try and make a convert if I gave some of it to a fellow gamer. Well, Bob, as much as I'd like to get more players, it's just SO hard to get MOW stuff and you really would need more than I could afford to give out to get started to really have fun. Your guess was Wooden Ships and Iron Men though, which still was wrong unfortunantly.

Ninja Bob (Ninjabob)picked a great little game from the past called Ace of Aces. Turn to page 34 to see that you are shot down. You wouldnt have wanted the game I picked either, you already have it!

Robert Best (Elbourne) simply stated Starfarers of Catan. Nope. ANOTHER fan of George R.R. Martin. Go play the game!!

Mike Kollross (MK-Ultra71) zapped a guess with Power Grid. You are right in that I'm not yet sure about Power grid. I WANT to like it more than I do, but it seems so dry and the board (USA) is tough to cross over from one coast to the other. A few more plays will determine its fate. Mike, looking at your collection I say you ned to go get a copy of Ticket to Ride, it fits well with what you have and you'll like it.

Chris Okasaki (cokasaki) can breathe a sigh of relief as I did not pick Peg Poker (or your guess of Battle Line which I just played with the wife last weekend). Sorry for the typo inmy review, it will be changed to say "IS" not "was". Better luck next time.

Jeff K. (jeffk) Guessed Simply Cosmic and come to think of it, that WOULD be a great game to giveaway... maybe next year Jeff. Have you seen my pics of the 10 player set-up in the database for Cosmic?

Larry Rice (larryjrice) must have been hungry for some Primordial Soup but it's not today's special Larry. I see you have History of the World as a 9, I JUST played it for the first time recently and really enjoyed it.

Lukas Litzsinger (Rukasu) Thought that you couldnt guess the same game as someone else (you Can), so he guessed Frag instead of Ivanhoe. Both are incorrect Lukas, but thanks for playing along. I see you are one of the FEW that have one of the best Blake Edwards comedies out there... THE GREAT RACE! I introduced it to my kids years agao and every once in awhile one of us quotes the movie and we all have a good laugh. It has the worlds BEST EVER pie fight in it. Nice to see someone else appreciates that movie too.

Adrian Acu (Darkholmme) took a chance that I was being OH SO SNEAKY and guessed the same game from last year! HA! that would have been clever but unfortunately I didnt think of that.

Tom Rosen (Thommy8) picked Evo. Lots of 2nd guessing to get there, but it was incorrect Tom. Excellent choice of games, I found myself agreeing with many of your ratings. Im envious that you have the Complete Far side Collection too. That looks awesome! Oh and I just have to sit down and read the rules for Through the Desert, it looks great and Knizia always is a good time. I added you as a geekbuddy too as it was pretty obvious we share real similar tastes.

Gordon Walsh (Gordon Walsh) also guessed Tongiaki....hmmm this one is pretty popular, maybe next year. Gordon likes to read the literary classics, something I'd like to do, but never seem to get around to actually doing.

Jon David Faeth (roujin27)took a stab at it with Shadows Over Camelot. Im sorry Jon, but advance the Black Knight, that is not the game I chose. I need to play Carolus Magnus still, I noticed that you rated it fairly highly, what's the best number I should try with it?

John Marsella (thecvw) is a good friend of mine here in Modesto and the dictator of our gaming group - The Central Valley Wargamers. Our modus operandi is best described as a game of Junta. ANYONE can attempt a coup to ursurp John's position as Il Duci (our leader), but we are all too busy with our mistresses to care - ( wait that isnt what I meant!) Oh and John, Primordial Soup is incorrect my friend. See ya Friday nite for the Christmas Party.

Peter van der Raaij (vandini_p) will run me off the rails when he hears that Stephenson's Rocket is not the winner. Great collection of games by the way.

Shawn Low (shawn_low)was added as a Geekbuddy last year and he also guessed Tongiaki. That is definately a contender for next'years choice as a lot of people seem to want it. Atilla too, which is another game Shawn considered. Nice to see ya again Shawn.

Bas Luyten (BaSL) went for the classic Alexander the Great. How can I give away a game with charging elephants?? And how did you determine that Geekbuddy corelation? Is there some feature here on BGG Ive overlooked?

Patrick Goslee (dragonewtking) went with a great guess - The Age of Mythology, still available, and inexspensive, but not the correct game - sorry Patrick. I think you are right about number of Heroscape sets I need to have. Im hoping the kids were paying attention when I showed them some gift ideas lol! Merry Christmas to you too.

Dave Desmond (Desmondloki) picked Twilight Imperium: 3rd Edition as from my comments he can see I perfer the original slightly over the new one. Good guess, but I do like them both. I recently have been catching up on past BoardGamSpeak episodes and I was listening to Christian Petersen from Fantasy Flight Games talk about the evolution of the game. He really clarified what I was feeling in his comments. TI:1 is an old style (AH) combat game at heart with politics. TI:3 is a new style euro game of politics with combat. It just depends on my mood.

Scott M (agashamirv) picked Pirate's Cove. Althought not the deepest game out there, it still gets played a bunch so it's not the one Scott. Speaking of Pirates, have you seen the new teaser in theaters for Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest yet? It was showing with the new Harry Potter movie.

Bob McMurray (Islay) probably had the most detailed process of anyone to try and figure which game was being given away. With about 250 possibilities he winowed the list down to that politcal game of banana republic diplomacy, Junta! I'm sorry to say meeester presidente , but that is not correct. Great thinking on your part, as I HAD considered that one too.

Stephen Smith (seppo21) picked a great game of mine, Canyon - something I used to play a lot of, but now don't game with the same group so it sits there, desperate for some play. I can't give this one away just yet as New Years is coming up and I think I'll be able to squeeze in a game. I gotta say Stephen, it's rare to find someone else who enjoys Fluxx on the Geek as it seems like it's the in thing to do to hate it as much as Monopoly. I, however DO enjoy it. It is silly, there is a lot of luck, BUT there are strategies too. I liked reading your game comments, Geekbuddy.

Herschel Hankel (BakeliteTM) picked the better game of Andreas Seyfarth in my opinion, Manhattan. I think Joe Steadman agrees on this one too. However, Manhattan is well liked in my gaming group and they'd lynch me if I ever gave it away. You've the start of a really nice gaming collection goint there Herschel.

Alexander Shearer (sanguine) picked the game based on a great series of books... DUNE. I've only played the game once before but had a blast. I guess I need to add some comments to my Dune game entry. I'm in the process of updating all my reviews anyways. I know how much it goes for on eBay and my copy is opened, but unpunched, yet I still want to try this one with the gaming group I have. Hmmm....Maybe JOhn already has a copy that has been played...

Pat T (Patt) picked Modern Art and used some numberology (sp?) to determine if she would be the lucky recipient. She had thought about Nautilus as well, but neither are the right guess Pat. I enjoyed reading about your HEROSCAPE TREK to the US! I love it!

Mark A. Luedi (LudesFactor also went through a lengthy deduction process, but ultimately it was "flawed' as he chose Settler's of Catan which is incorrect. I think it's interesting that alot of people who list Chess or Bridge (like yourself, have those games as their only 10 rated game. I think that kind of loyalty is cool (not that I practice it!).

Eddy Richards (Ed_the_Red) picked a nice obscure game of mine, Serenissima - something that I enjoy but rarely get to play. I can't part with it just yet Eddy, but try again next year.

Jon Power (EYE of NiGHT) found the one strange rating in my collection - Corsairs and it's rating of 6.27! Yes that is freaky Jon, I have no idea how I did that! Jon has one of the most prolific collection of games rated a 10...27 of them and I like most of those too, perhaps thats why we're Geekbuddies!

Alan Faller (pish) went for a semi random approach and ended up with the wrong guess of Munchkin as well. Alan has some classics as 10's... Backgammon, Chess, Othello (though much less so) and Magic. How many hundreds (thousands??) of dollars have you spent on Magic Alan?

Bil Noppers (WildBil) though *new* to the Geek, wasted no time in making a very good guess of Heroscape I could have picked up a coy on the TrU sale and it would have made a great game for someone regardless of whether or not they had it already. I wish I had thought of that! Sorry Bil.

Jonathan Nichol (quozl) just stopped by to thank me for being a Geekbuddy. I thought that was a very nice thing to do. He has quite a collection too but I was a bit surprised to see Tic Tac Toe and Don't Break the Ice as 10's! I sense that he has a few kids.

Matthew Wills (mjwills) made an obsure guess mith Duel of Ages Set 3 - Vast Horizons - appropriate since he is on the opposite side of the planet from me! Now that would be a great gift If I had a 2nd copy, G'day Matthew.

Philip Thomas (Philip Thomas) wanted a 2nd copy of Shogun to give to his gamign group, but I'm afraid that wasnt it Philup. No 10's in his collection as off yet... do you think no game is a 10 (a valid belief) or are you still looking?

Chester Ogborn (cornjob) picked an appropriate game considering his avatar and went with Monsters Ravage America. Dr Sleestack, you have a message at the nurses station... "Your guess is incorrect I'm sorry to say". It's a silly (but fun) game as well
Chester, have you tried it?

Richard Young (W0tever) went for the old Star Wars Starfighter Combat game - Star Warriors. I thought of this one I have some great Star Wars Micro Machines to convert this into a miniatures game so it will be staying here. Great guess though

Jonathan Franklin (grandslam) said "Thanks for spirit even in the unlikely event I don't get the game." and picked Medieval Merchant. Of these three unlikely things, which has probably occured?

1. Hell has frozen over.
2. Elvis is alive and well.
3. Jonathan didnt get the game he wanted.

I wish it was either 1 or 2 Jonathan. Better luck next time.

Paul Heldrup (Doomfarer) went for something a bit more obscure with Die Neuen Entdecker as I have yet to make any comments on it. I have not yet played it Paul, so thats why I didnt have anything to say. Now about this comment here...I was just about to add you as my Geekbuddy as I felt, wow this guy has great taste in games, then I saw you rated Tikal as a 10 and you're no longer my buddy.

You didnt like Tikal or you think Im way off base? I know some dont like the AP that sometimes get associated with it but c'mon it aint THAT bad!! lol

Ian Connolly (cloudstalkerian) used a Hal 2000 supercomputer to arrive at the perfect answer to his question, 1621. Unfortunately the question was not "what is the BGG ID# of the game Scott picked." Great game though. Cosmic Encounter is a 10 for you as well. Exxxxcellent.

Peter Loop (Peter Loop) sang a song about the Red Baron and Snoopy as he guessed Wings of War. I hate to shoot you down here Peter, but that was a miss! You should check out Grognads thread on Soft Rock though...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/68621/page/1

Erik Loop (Flaunty Golem) made a good choice too. Traders and Builders. I wish I had made that choice too. Try again next year though!

David L. (Gelatinous Goo) (one of the funniest Geeks at BGG), graced this contest with some more Goo'isms. I repeat it here for any that missed it:

mmmmmmm
ooooo
momomomo
aki-aki-pooey
don't want no Clue-y
bandy wandy sandy band
better not be candyland
mmmmmmmm
oooooooo
I think I'm getting something
a card game
inemaysudomine
ipso facto
habius corpus
lalahmmm
I got it

Clearly, it's Queen's Necklace.
Clearly, the reason that's the one you picked is because I kinda want it.

Although that WAS a game I thought about Goo, it wasn't meant to be. Oh and another thing. WHERE is Yorba Linda? You are in California so you must have been to some game conventions. Next year, KUBLACON. Be there.

robin goblin (noddingoff) went for the gusto and picked Advanced Civilization - I actually considered this one too,

but choose something else. I see your two top rated games are based on some great books, Dune and Lord of the Rings. As I've mentioned a few times in this reply to others, you should play (and read!) A Game of Thrones.

Ken McNeil (Genghis) picked a game I've never really cared for, but my copy is pretty beat up so I don't think it would make a great gift - plus my gaming group really enjoys this one so I guess it has to stay. Maybe next year though!

Leonard Petch (Terraliptar) chose Tower of Babel with his great mental powers. Leonard, I think you are getting some interference there. I still need to grab Tower of Babel for myself - I've only played it so far!

Scott Bolderson (scooterb23) channeled his inner child and picked Weapons and Warriors. I wish I didnt have to disappoint you and say I didnt pick that one.

Randy C. (counterfeit) went for a really fun game with the right group, Wiz War. My copy is the 7th edition I believe (the last one) but I couldnt bear to part with it just yet - especially since If laminated all the cards! Randy but has over 280 Geekbuddies but is on just a few which is surprising since he has great taste in games. I added you Randy.

Jeremiah Lee (texasjdl) really wanted a few other games, but ultimately picked Shogun, which is unfortunately incorrect. You like the game I DID pick however. Is that your dog i=on your avatar? It looks like an Austrailian Sheepdog.

Cameron Iwan (beauuka) had a hankering for Ticket to Ride, even thought he really wanted Monster's Ravage America. Cameron ALSO has the game I am giving away... (we're getting close now people).

Thumis Dalidalisa (Kolumel) picked die Hanse - a game I think is really beautiful to look it. I've pnly played it twice so far, but I need to try it a couple more times to see if it's got a permanent home here.

Dave Peters (rynelf) took another guess for Ace of Aces. I'm sorry Dave, not this time. Another Californian... Do you go to the cons around here Dave?

Dane Peacock (Sky Knight X) - our winner from last year, got in under the wire and was going 2 for 2 with a guess of Bean Trader. Dane, I'm sorry to say you are now 1 for 2. Merry Christmas to Yvette and the kids from me (and my family). I'm glad you got over here and took another stab at it.

Scott Gowell (Penguinix) wanted the expansion to Mississippi Queen, The Black ROse. Scott, one of the guys in our group wrote rules for combat and made MQ into a miniatures game. It's called Mississippi Gunboat and it is a HOOT at gaming converntions. What Im trying to say is that the Black Rose expansion is still needed and was not the right guess.

Matthew M. Monin (Octavian) said it was Battle Cry and that that was the right answer as I havent played it yet. That's actually correct, but only because I just recently found a copy of this at Kublacon (used). I may see if I can get the wife to try this one too. Thanks for playing though Matthew.

Charles Hasegawa (Tatsu) picked History of the World - a game I just recently played and picked up the new version from Hasro. I really like this one, so i can't part with it just yet Charles. Charles also owns the game I am giving away.

Bob Menzel (baub64) wanted my prized copy of Anzio. Bob, you said if you got it, we could play on-line on Vassel... but I don't see how, You'd have my copy!! lol. It is a good game and really innovative in it's time. I see you love B-17. Im gonna find the info for a local guy here who runs MASSIVE B-17 games at the local cons - up to 50 people at once. He sets up a target, we get briefed (with actual photos) and then fly in squadrons in formation. Planes tha go by you, then attack others in the formation. It is a blast! Added you as well.

Josh Wheeler (Xxcha Tortoise Primus) (Nonamnon) also was in a monster mood and went with Monsters Ravage America because King Kong just opened. If you have been reading, you know that wasnt it. Btw, the movie was good in parts and disappointing in others. Kong is a better actor than Jack Black.

Kevin McFarland (kchunks) picked a game I don't get to play enough, Samurai. I played it last night and I still like it. Try again next year though Kevin!

D.W. Sparks (dwsparks) went with a very small and easily shipped card game, Dungeoneer, Tomb of the Lich Lord. That was a good guess but not the right one D.W. I laughed at the comment in your profile about obsessively collecting Heroscape.

Jonathan Nichol (quozl) realized his error and came back to make a guess of Democrazy. Nice to see you again Jonathan - but that is incorrect my friend. Thanks for the nice comment earlier.

David Spencer (eschaton1000) picked a really cool looking game when all set up, Star Wars - The Queen's Gambit. My youngest daughter is just about the right age to play this one with, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe next year this will be the game I pick.

Phil (sbszine) read my glowing review of Raj and based his guess on that and that it was a small game to ship. I"ll give you all a hint. I never considered the SIZE of the box at all for shipping, only if it was going to be outside of the USA. I picked a game that looked like people would want it. Phil is a big GO fan btw.

Chip Lee (chiplee) made a clever pick, Pick Picnic - something that is fun for all ages. I wish I had picked it too.

Charles Reese (TexasToast)said (and I quote)..."I'll go ahead and throw out Lord of the Rings." You go ahead and throw yours out Charles, this one is staying. Seriously though, that was a great guess - I had even considered it. I had to smile when I saw your top game Charles - 42. I played it once at a local Con and was clueless as to what i was doing. I lost miserably and it still is a joke to this day. "Hey Scott... Wanna play 42?"

Ken H. (Rubric) went with Carcassonne: The Castle. I hate to disappoint a fellow Cosmic Encounter fan, but that isnt it Ken. Have you ever used any of the zillion Alien Powers off of the net in any of your games? I printed out everyone that Gerald Katz posted on rec.games.board.ce (was that the right name?) at one time. I wish this would get redone (again) with the internet submissions in mind - maybe a pack of blank Alien Powers that you can fill in or print on.

David Matchen (David Matchen) also went with Junta. Lots of great reasoning there David, but not the right game. is that the Man from U.N.C.L.E. hiding in your avatar?

ALMOST THERE!

Big C (Csteb) is the very LAST contestant to make a guess (besides the winner), so if you haven't seen your name yet... Big C picked Settler's of the Stone Age which is a great game but not one I was willing to part with (this year anyways). He also already owns the game I'm giving away....

Martin Villemaire (mnv_iii) got in under the wire with a guess for Deadwood + the expansions. I hadnt yet posted the winner at the time of his entry so his guess is still a good one and would have counted had he picked the right game! better luck next time Martin.

Well that is everyone who made a guess except for the winner. I'm sorry for the dealy in posting this but I wanted to make a (small) personal comment to everyone who took the time to make a guess. It is a lot of fun for me and I enjoy making someone's Holiday a little bit brighter. I think it's cool that Tom Vasel read about what happened last year and organized a very large Secret Santa giveaway, Check out the top of the front page to see the latest on that.

And without further ado I present the winner this year.

This year's lucky winner is Jeff Adair (adonismayhem). He simply picked a game that nobody else had. BLOKUS! Jeff is in Cedar Park, Texas and I will ship out his new copy of Blokus as soon as he sends me an email with his address on it.
Congratualtions Jeff!

Thanks to all who played this year, I hope you all have a Happy Holiday and I wish you and your family the best for the New Year.

Man, that took a loong time to write!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Great contest Scott. It was interesting reading everyones picks and the reasoning behind it.

I have considered buy TTR but by now I fear I have outgrown it and would be disappointed by a gateway game now that I am chest deep in gamers games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Re: WINNER! - Manowarplayer's CHRISTMAS GAME GIVEAWAY - WIN
Wow! You're a dedicated fellow!! Thanks for the great contest and for taking the time to make such individualized commentary....for the record I have read the books and played AGoT and am very fond of both....I just never get around to rating games for the most part...

thanks again,
Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a fun contest, I have read the Game of Thrones books, quite good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun finish to a fun contest. You put a lot of effort in on this and I enjoyed it! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this Scott, & congrats to Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tom Rosen (Thommy8) picked Evo. Lots of 2nd guessing to get there, but it was incorrect Tom. Excellent choice of games, I found myself agreeing with many of your ratings. Im envious that you have the Complete Far side Collection too. That looks awesome! Oh and I just have to sit down and read the rules for Through the Desert, it looks great and Knizia always is a good time. I added you as a geekbuddy too as it was pretty obvious we share real similar tastes.

Yeah, I was really happy to get the Complete Far Side last year for Christmas, or was it two years ago now, I'm not sure. Either way, it's definitely one of the best books ever created in my mind. (BTW Amazon dropped the price on it to $85 if you're curious). But now they had to go and come out with a Complete Calvin & Hobbes too (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0740748475/qid=1134872567/s...), well that one will just have to wait. I already have a lot of Calvin & Hobbes books, whereas the only Far Side book I had before getting the Complete book was the 10th Anniversary Prehistory book, which by the way is extremely good. I love all the old sketches and comments, and stories about complaints he received... and it's even better because I was able to have Jane Goodall sign it, which will be hilarious to anyone who has read the book and knows why she's mentioned in it. She thought it was pretty funny. I also wanted to get the University of Chicago professor mentioned in there (for naming a species of flesh-eating tick after Larson) to sign it too, but he was no longer at U of C when I was a student there.

Anyway, I definitely encourage you to sit down with Through the Desert when you get a chance and try it out. The rules are simpler than they appear because the rule book (at least my copy) comes in about 10 different languages, wow. Oh, and let me know what I'm missing in Attika, should I try with more players, not sure what I failed to grasp.

Lastly, thanks for running this contest, great idea!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

Thanks for running this contest and for the thorough follow-through.

I honestly did think that I already had you as a GeekBuddy. Well, you are now anyway!

-Kane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

Wow! You replied to everyone. Now that is some follow-up!

Thanks for running the contest.

PS All those bands were Christian :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Scott... I don't suppose throwing myself onto the floor and holding my breath would change your mind any?

Probably not... thanks for the game... I did enjoy trying to guess and I'm glad that someone is getting a Christmas thrill this year. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Best
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome...thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Campbell
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Brian Campbell (lambda) made another great guess with Java. I don't get to play it that often and I like Tikal better, but that wasnt the one I picked. Thanks for adding me too, I plan to go back through this list and really look at everyone's collection and add me some new GB's as well. I juggle a bit too, though Im not proficient at much besides the standard 3 ball. You have a lot of abstracts that you like, which one is the one you couldn't do without?

Wow, that's great that you replied to everyone, and must have been a lot of work. It's awesome that you juggle, too. If you want to learn a few tricks beyond the standard 3-ball cascade, you should check out http://homepage.mac.com/abramr/juggling/tutorial/category/in... . That's where I learned my first tricks after 3 balls. As far as abstracts go, picking one desert island one is so hard. If it was one set of components, I'd probably say Icehouse, since there are so many great games you can play with them. If it was a single game, it would be a hard toss-up between Go and Zendo. I guess I'd have to say Go, because you can always look for patterns and test theories without it having to be a game.

Also, a theme I noticed in your replies was A Game of Thrones. I'm reading the second book now, and loving the series, and would really like to try the board game. I do actually like Diplomacy, but the extra strategy and dose of luck offered by AGoT sounds like it would be a lot of fun, too.

Thank you again for doing all of this, and may you have a merry Christmas,
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That must have been a lot of work, andit was fun to read. Merry Christmas, looking forward to next year!

Too bad I can't say "You LET me win!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott; thanks for running the giveaway. Loads of fun: the best part was reading your replies to all the entrants! For my part, though I live only a few miles from the Kublacon site, I've only been once - and that in '04.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic stuff, Scott. Thanks for running the competition.

Now if you PM me your mailing address, we can see if some of my Gingerbread Meeples will survive the transpacific flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great contest, and WOW! on the replies!

Quote:
And how did you determine that Geekbuddy corelation? Is there some feature here on BGG Ive overlooked?

For all your BGG-features-no-one-knows-about: Richard Pardoe. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/700315#700315

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Zamborsky
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott for running the contest and taking the time to write out your winning post.

As for Steve and his Santa hat, he's taken it to a whole new level this year. Check your geekmail for details as I don't know if he'd want me sharing the info publicly.

Hope you and your family have an awesome Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
I need to play Carolus Magnus still... what's the best number I should try with it?

If you look through several of the comments that people have made, you'll notice a lot of people saying three is the magic number. I would tend to agree. Two is good, and I've played with four once. Those games played well with my crew, but I like the 3P games best.

Anyway, you have a groovy Solstice (or Xmas, since that seems to be your thing). Stay left-handed.

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Wow, I think it's very cool that you went through everybodys profile to learn a little bit about them.
As for your question, No, I have not tried Man O War, I stopped playing GW stuff about right when it came out, and then came back to GW in '99/'00 so I missed the boat on that (no pun intended). Though Battlefleet Gothic fills the void in my life for a miniatures "boat" game (yeah, I know it's a spaceship game, but if you ever play it, you'll see what I mean).
Woodbury is just about the Eastmost suburb of St. Paul.
As for my guess, I hadn't yet read the post about the whole gift giving "scenario" that happened last year. Also, even after I had read it, I thought that perhaps you got so much joy out of it, that you would want to "duplicate" it by purchasing a new copy to give away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tom Jukic (Dreadnaut) Took a wild guess with Ivanhoe. He's a big Formula De fan and also likes George R.R. Martin. Have you played A Game of Thrones yet Tom?

Sadly, I have not. Hope springs eternal though, so maybe soon. Otherwise, it collects dust, just as too many of my games do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Great Scott!

Nice job with the contest. You are doing your part to make the world a better place.

Yorba Linda (Richard Nixon's birthplace and home of his Presidential Library) is in Orange County. There are a lot of conventions and boardgame meetups around here, but I have not made any of them. The last con I went to was when I was a teenager I went to an RPG con (Stratacon? Orcon?) at Chapman College circa 1985.

Again, great job here. You and your family have a wonderful and joyfull Christmas.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk-ultra71 wrote:
Great contest Scott. It was interesting reading everyones picks and the reasoning behind it.

I have considered buy TTR but by now I fear I have outgrown it and would be disappointed by a gateway game now that I am chest deep in gamers games.

I dont think that would be the case, Mike. TTR IS still a lot of fun even though there are plenty of other great games out there. I prefer it over TTR: Europe as it is a little more cutthroat. Plus it's a GREAT game to hook non gamers into the hobby. (Like my brother).

I'm glad you enjoyed the contest. I'm gonna have to start writing the replies in November if this thing keeps growing! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Great contest... doubtless we'll all see you next year to pick greedily through your collection once more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for having this contest. It was fun even though I didn't win.

You might get to be my buddy after all. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Adair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My GeekBadge
badge
My Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooo Hoooo!!!! I never win anything! I kept looking for my name, and scrolling, and scrolling.....

This is really great because I was not expecting any games under the tree this year. Too much Real Life(tm) has intervened. I've been looking at Blokus since many of the people I play with are casual players.

Thanks manowarplayer! This is an awesome idea. The personal comments were a nice touch too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.