Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday, I was on HourCNY, which is a local news show on the Syracuse area PBS stations.

It's the same show I was on a few months ago; they liked my first clip, so asked me back.

They told me it would be a 12-minute segment, and it ended up running 17 minutes, which is a huge amount of time on live TV. They were doing their pledge drive, and told me later that people had called in during my segment. (I wonder if they decided to keep it going because of this...).

This time was much more crazy, as they only had a single desk for the whole show. This means I had 2 minutes to set up all of my games, which is not much time to lay out:
Ticket to Ride
Ingenious
That's Life
Nexus Ops
Techno Witches, and
Wits and Wagers.

Thankfully, I had brought three 2*2 felt-covered boards, which I would use to raise up the board for the camera. I was able to set up the boards in the wings ahead of time, but didn't have the time to put the boxes in easy-to-grab locations. (Watch for the special Scott Disappearing Act when I go for the Ticket to Ride box...)

In the two minutes after the segment, it was a mad dash to clear the desks and set up for the next segment.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Live TV is tough becuase you focus on what you should have said; I bombed on the 'Educational' question, but at the time, I was thinking about the Educational opportunities in Nexus Ops without explaining the dice rolls in the game...

You can see more about the segment and watch the segment itself through my Web site, which is at

http://scottnicholson.com/games/hourcny.html

Thanks again to everyone for giving me advice for the segment, and feel free to pass along this clip to others to introduce them to the hobby!

Scott Nicholson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice spot. I just wish TV hosts didn't make the simplest games look like rocket science. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,
Nice job - that was great - that's another couple of games added to my want list! Just goes to show a moving picture is worth 10,000 words.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job Scott. As I was watching it my wife came over & watched too. Looks like you chose a good mix of games to show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickel Knight
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had fun just watching you guys play wits and wagers. I think that game was a hit with the hosts and the next guests. Nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great job Scott! I just downloaded and watched both the older segment and the new holiday segment, and think you did a good job in both explaining the games and publicizing the hobby. Hopefully you'll get some new members up at Syracuse Boardgamers as a result. Oh, and now I think I might actually want Wits & Wagers laugh

P.S. I dare you to try to explain Puerto Rico next time, I think you would scare the beejezus out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you did a great job. I think you improved over your last on-air presentation. The ending was really good, having them play a couple of rounds of Wits & Wagers (which you sold me on, it's going on my wishlist) and showing how easy it is to play, and how interesting it can be was perfect.

Congrats!

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excellent! Had a smile on my face the whole time. I was enthralled - thank you for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. Two great TV segments.

One question.... why do you pronounce Blokus as bloke-us? It's played with square blocks and is surely pronounced block-us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:
Congrats. Two great TV segments.

One question.... why do you pronounce Blokus as bloke-us? It's played with square blocks and is surely pronounced block-us?

There's actually a thread on this over on the Blokus "General Articles" thread at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/79467. There's a great post in that thread from Norman Petry where he analyzes from the rules of pronounciation and concludes that the spelling leads to "Blow-kus".

I did, however, screw up the pronounciation of "Cluzzle". Dominic Crapuchettes wrote me and let me know that it rhymes with "puzzle" (like Clay Puzzle); I had conceptualized it as "Clue-zzle" (like giving clues off the hizzle, for all you hippity hoppity fans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Mark: I'm with you on Blokus...but I'm alone in my gaming group on it and get laughed at every time I say "Block-us". But I will perservere.

Scott: nice sweater!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Mark: I'm with you on Blokus...but I'm alone in my gaming group on it and get laughed at every time I say "Block-us". But I will perservere.

Scott: nice sweater!!!

Thank you. The rules of pronunciation are only guidelines, afterall. They do not work on all occasions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice !
I wish that boardgame presentations become a weekly show in every country all around the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought we'd settled the pronunciation of Blockus thing. If you go to their web site, you'll see a TV spot in which a representative of the company calls it Block-us (not Blow-kus). That's enough for me. Besides, to me Blow-kus just sounds stupid. It's a game of blocking involving blocks. Perhaps I'm being too literal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And no weird death threats this time either. What ever happened with that whole thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sat Elg
United States
Vast
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
And no weird death threats this time either. What ever happened with that whole thing?

Not yet, at least...

The local police took the e-mail, tracked it through Yahoo to their local ISP, then traced that to the house. It was a house about 20 miles from here, and had a mother and two kids. They were going to go follow up, and that's the last I heard of it.

So, I'd guess it was one of the kids. Hopefully, a visit from the cops will let the kid know that the Internet isn't as anonymous as one might think and that threats are not funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lassonde
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
- I could now finally burn my monopoly set
- And perhaps you SHOULD!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bloodworth
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. It be great if you or someone in the community could do a regular feature like this - ten minutes or so of video each teaching and demoing one of "our" games.

Any chance of getting a downloadable (non-streaming) copy of the Quicktime version of the first clip? I use 64 bit linux so the windows media versions are nigh impossible for me to view, and for whatever reason the streaming isn't working for me. The full quicktime download of the second clip worked fine, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic job (again), Scott! You do a great job of describing the games in just a few sentences, and I think you chose a wonderful set of games for demonstration. Showing the boxes was a good idea. And it was great to get the hosts involved in playing a round of Wits & Wagers. Very nice idea! I hope your gaming group sees some new faces as a result of your appearance. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent job - even better than the first episode (I'm thinking series here). You were more comfortable this time around (was any eggnog involved?).

As to live TV making games look complicated (as implied above), think about explaining Monopoly's rules in 15 seconds (and not skipping the auction and mortgage parts of the rules). I think you have a steep training curve with that male host.

As for educational, you did fine - they picked a poor point in the presentation to ask the question but any game that causes people to think, strategize, and interact with others is just fine educationally.

By the way, while the moose sweater was stylish, I would have expected a bear given your preferred handle.

- Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Scott, fantastic job! I was amazed at all the things you did get to say. You remembered to say where people could buy the games, you got a plug in for BGG and your group. Saying that folk could come along and be taught the games, that they didn't need to know anything in advance was very smart. And you got some jokes in too, your opening gag was very clever.

Go on Scott, parlay this into a regular spot. Get a half hour each month, and get some more space and time to show things off. How about asking for a family to volunteer to test some of your recommendations and report back? Like TtR, you teach the game, they take it home, play it, bring it back and report.

Good luck Scott, you're doing a great job. And the rest of you, don't just watch, do something yourself. Get onto your local paper, your local radio station, your PBS, and get our games into the public eye.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quarks wrote:
Nice job. It be great if you or someone in the community could do a regular feature like this - ten minutes or so of video each teaching and demoing one of "our" games.

Any chance of getting a downloadable (non-streaming) copy of the Quicktime version of the first clip? I use 64 bit linux so the windows media versions are nigh impossible for me to view, and for whatever reason the streaming isn't working for me. The full quicktime download of the second clip worked fine, however.

I've added one to the site; you'll find it listed down with the other first-episode files.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bloodworth
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Strangely, my media player didn't have the codec for sound on this one. Conveniently, it would play the sound from the windows media version (but not the video). So by playing the two concurrently I got to watch and hear the segment, just a little out of sync.

Again, good job. I hope they have you back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Go on Scott, parlay this into a regular spot. Get a half hour each month, and get some more space and time to show things off.

Today PBS, tomorrow Oprah. Way to go Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.