Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GEEK OF THE WEEK: Goats are evil (DWTripp)

profile: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/DWTripp

Geek of the week is an open forum focussed on getting to know our Geek of the Week. Join in the obstacle course of Tripp's interrogation forum by asking some questions that even his stunt double would be afraid to approach will test his skills and balance.

Goats are Evil? Why? Were you headbutted when you were a kid? If goats are evil, what are good?

You had more info on your personal profile until you knew you were the next Geek of the Week. Are you trying to hide something? Is it so you can make two truths and a lie harder or were you planning on taking on a whole alter ego for the forum? I usually use the favourites info and profile statement to get some basic questions out to warm things up and make them personally relevant to the Geek of the Week. For you I remember what seemed to be a striking love of all things motorbike. So:
What type of bikes do you ride? What did you start off with? How did you get into motorcycles? What are some of the crazy things you do with your bike? Have you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Did it have anything to do with motorcycle maintenance or was it largely metaphors for philosophy? What are some of the injuries you have inflicted upon yourself (or that others have inflicted upon you)?
Is mosquito acres aptly named? Coming from Idaho, how many different ways do you know of cooking/preparing potatoes? Are there any alternative uses for potatoes that we might not know about?

You seem to derive a lot of pleasure from offering avatars (30GG) for peoples stories of why they deserve it. Is it because you like to give or because you like to manipulate people to do things to entertain you? ie are you a generous almoner reaching out to the people or a bored nobleman making the jesters dance and play for their supper.

Speaking of contests, I looked in at the Rabbit of Doom one about the source of your avatar. Well I'll be... it is a rabbit. I always thought those ears were the wings of an eagle. Huh. For those who have not seen your best forums tell us a bit about them...including the source of the rabid rabbit.

A game I know is called two truths and a lie.
You tell us three things about yourself. Two are true one is a lie. We have to guess which is false. (hints: Try to make your truths the most unexpected things about yourself to trick us. The lie can be very close to the truth.)
Don't tell us which one is the lie til the end of the week.
Happy Geek of the Week week geek.

You can read up on previous Geeks of the Week using this handy list of forum threads:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/84208

Though they are not the active Geek of the Week forums they can have new questions and answers posted. It is a good idea for previous GotWs to add their own link to their forum in their personal profile too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Better yet... have you read The Art of Motorcycle from the Guggenheim Museum Exhibit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, I feel mighty proud being in such esteemed company. I can honestly say now that being Geek of the Week on this globally influential forum pretty much caps my long career of socially unacceptable behaviour. And following in the footsteps of Louise is just an added bonus. There's something just uber-hot about a tax collector in leather... especially one from a foriegn country.

I'll do my best at opening the eerie door to my addled brain and hopefully sway a few more game geeks out there in the direction of games unlike Caylus.

Quote:
Goats are Evil? Why? Were you headbutted when you were a kid? If goats are evil, what are good?

Actually Andrew, my grandpa's goats attempted to assassinate me, en masse, by herding me into an open well in Texas. Goats are the cloven-hoofed spawn of Satan and operate in a chain of command only two levels down from the Lord of Pestilance himself. They answer only to cats, then the big guy. What are good? Why, dogs are good.

Quote:
What type of bikes do you ride? What did you start off with? How did you get into motorcycles? What are some of the crazy things you do with your bike?

Ah... motorcycles... anyway, my current scoot is a 2002 Harley Fatboy. A fitting bike for an aging motorcycle geek. Nice big seat, cushy suspension, loud pipes, the whole works. The bonus is, it weighs 700 pounds. Which means if I fall over on it I wouldn't even try and pick it up. Just call Triple-A and 911, pretty much in that sequence.

I started with a Honda 90 back about 1964. Then I bought a Honda 125 Twin, a rare bird that some Geeks here may know something about. I have owned several BMW's, several Harleys, a couple of Ducati's, a couple of Moto-Guzzi's, a passle of Yamaha's, a BSA, a Bultaco, a Can-Am 125, one of the first Kawaski Z-1 900's in the USA and probably a couple more.

Pretty much everything about being testosterone-drenched teenager with a motorcycle was crazy. But in my 20's I put my money where my adrenaline was and went road racing. I managed to stay alive for seven whole years and burn through a lot of money. Suffice it to say, I sucked. As my very good friend (who trained a couple of world champions) Keith Code put it, "You have more than enough willingness, but you lack talent."

Most of my injuries were garden variety broken bones and ligament tears, along with some semi-permanent brain damage, which I'm still hoping to recover from. I did have an interesting one once though, my buddy and Moto Guzzi mechanic Chuck, drilled a hole completely through my hand when we were fixing the race bike. That was... different. It felt all warm and gooey.

I did read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I'll go with the metaphor answer because I remember very little of the book, actually, I don't recall much of that decade either.

Quote:
Is mosquito acres aptly named?

Sort of. There was a local organic farmer who managed to get the entire mosquito abatement program for the county shut down one year. Given the amount of mosquitos and the fact they can carry West Nile virus, which affects people and horses, the horse owners managed to get abatement back to save their valuable animals. People not getting ill was a collateral benefit.

I need to update my profile as I just last month sold the entire property to my ex-girlfriend and her parents. Long story, so I won't tell it. Now that I have some extra money I'm sitting around waiting for something cool to happen.

Quote:
Are there any alternative uses for potatoes that we might not know about?

Yes, but this is a family-friendly website.

Quote:
You seem to derive a lot of pleasure from offering avatars (30GG) for peoples stories of why they deserve it.

You're right. That was great fun. I think I need to auction off some more goodies and do another contest like that. To answer your question about why, I'll make it a contest. The first person who can describe, in rich detail, the scene from the movie, "The Magic Christian" that inspired that contest will win 5GG from my dwindling supply.

Quote:
Speaking of contests, I looked in at the Rabbit of Doom one about the source of your avatar. Well I'll be... it is a rabbit. I always thought those ears were the wings of an eagle. Huh. For those who have not seen your best forums tell us a bit about them...including the source of the rabid rabbit.

I love that damned Rabbit. You're correct, I ran a GG contest for who could identify the source of it. Basically, it's a mutant rabbit from a series of miniatures produced by Dark Horse Miniatures. They were the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle miniature line and the mutant animals were for Palladiums RPG supplement "After the Bomb".

I painted the little guy and I was also one of the two owners of the miniature company. Yes, I was blessed by rubbing shoulders with the duo who brought us the dancing turtles... we also made Groo miniatures, mainly because I think the world of Sergio Aragones and I stalked him until he granted us a license.

My favorite forums are the ones where I can draw people in saying truly dumb stuff that is based on their own prejudices and blind adherence to a dead-end and pointless philosophy of life, gaming, politics, human nature or animal husbandry. I admit to having started one or two, even an incendiary Geek List every now and then. My favorite personal Geek List is the one that proved how evil George DubYa Bush is:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=46...

Quote:

I'm terrible at this game. Every time I read the GotW answers to this I am stumped. Louise in particular left me hopelessly confused and I believed everything she said. Anyway...

1. My first wife was a Las Vegas showgirl who, when we moved to Los Angeles, became one of the first all-nude dancers in the USA. She plied me with baubles to keep me happy and our marraige ended when I refused to become an actor in a toothpaste commercial.

2. I once became so infuriated at another gamer, because he was stupidly mis-interpreting the rules to Blood Bowl, that I took the rulebook and slapped him repeatedly in the face with it. He stormed out but then later apologized for being so dense.

3. One of the earliest games I recall playing as a lad in dusty old West Texas was called mumbly-peg, a game played barefooted with pocket knives. You throw the knife between an opponent's spread-out feet and he must touch it with one foot and then throw it between your feet. So your feet keep getting closer and closer together. First guy to chicken out loses the game. I was not a chicken, so I am missing part of one toe on my left foot from a game that went bad on me.

From the acerbic Pronob:

Quote:
Better yet... have you read The Art of Motorcycle from the Guggenheim Museum Exhibit?

Sadly, no. Since I have no formal education, and therefore no real hope of an affluent lifestyle, I usually buy my books when they come out in paperback, or at the thrift store. I have visited the website is all. But, I was given the limited edition, leather-bound history of Harley-Davidson last year at Christmas!

Quote:
What does DW stand for and does everyone call you that or do you go by something else?

Well Ted, I'm usually secretive about the "D". The "W" is for Wolfgang. Something I owe to my mother's German heritage. But since this is BGG, I'll admit my first name is David. I like that name. But people end up calling me Dave. I hate that name. Dave is a fat guy in a wife-beater, drinking cheaper beer than I do and farting in his pick-up truck. Dave is not me. Which I think is why my brother (who is nearly 60 and should stop tormenting me at this point in our lives) always calls me Dave... and then chuckles. Many people call me Wolf, but then, many don't. I am often very confused about who I really am and have been known to answer to pretty much any old name that's called out, particularly, 'Hey You!"

I haven't been around as much because untangling yourself from a piece of property, a relationship and winding down a 23 year old game store is draining. In 10 more days I will have completed all three. Then I don't know what the hell I'm going to do. Any suggestions?

Quote:
I think you are a NASCAR fan do you follow Nextel only or some of the smaller circuits and have you ever raced bike?

I love NASCAR. In fact, I love all forms of auto and motorcycle racing. I love the technical aspects of it, the team aspects, the strategy, the tires, the personalities, the whole bit. Advancements in camera technology over the last decade and the addition of Speed TV to my line-up means I can geek-out totally nine months out of the year. I love Tivo. It makes life worth living.

Quote:
You seem to be a bit on the normal side to be the Geek of the Week? Tell us something shocking about yourself.

You're kidding, right? Heh...heh. I've been called a lot of things and normal has never been one of them. But I guess it's my cultured upbringing and rudimentary language skills that throw people off. I suppose the most shocking thing I can think of is that I have never been convicted of a felony. I did live in California on and off from 1969 through 1981, and what was normal then, and there, would probably alarm many people today. In fact, I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Our blog, http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/, is Coldfoot's idea. It's fun and I enjoy being a part of it. Everyone who writes on it is way more talented than I am and they are well worth reading. They might even be nice people, but I've never met them so the jury is still out on that aspect of the group blog experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read Memoirs of a Geisha? And people who like Age of Steam are one species and those who like Railroad Tycoon are another species. Just wanted clarification if those are the facts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
Have you read Memoirs of a Geisha? And people who like Age of Steam are one species and those who like Railroad Tycoon are another species. Just wanted clarification if those are the facts?

No I haven't. I think I'd like it though. But I have watched Firefly and Inura is my ideal certified companion.

AOS vs. RRT eh? I think that people who defend one over the other are different species. RRT is clearly a better game for many reasons, one of them being the same designer, who I feel improved everything about it. But, AOS has it's place. There are those who can't stand the notion that something they slavishly promote as superior has been bettered. It all kind of reminds me of the snooty audiophiles who look down on the little-folk who buy CD's or download music into their I-Pods rather than, like them, have the truly wonderful hiss and pop experience of turntable listening.

I enjoy both games though, which I guess makes me multi-specied. Is that a word?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I enjoy both games though, which I guess makes me multi-specied. Is that a word?

For a moment I thought that said "is that a sword." I was quite confused. Completely random question: do you like swords?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Hey DW. Sorry you couldn't make it down to BGG.Con - yours was a hand I was looking forward to shaking.

The question: As gamers our perspectives on the different game companies are based almost entirely on the products they put out and occasionally on how they handle customer service issues. Have your experiences as a retailer provided any different perspectives that you'd care to share? Any publishers particularly nice or awful to do business with?

Bonus question: In the spirit of the Book of Gord, tell us the story of your most nightmarishly stupid customer.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
You got rid of your job/business, your girlfriend and your property. Did you also get rid of your support for Bush and his gang?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on becoming Geek of the Week…nice to see another nutter in the hot seat.

Fifteen questions some of which are a bit heavier – but I like hearing answers to those sort of things as I think they’re revealing of other aspects of a person’s thinking.

As usual the first 15 are general: 5 are games related and 5 aren’t. The last 5 are just a bunch of stuff that I’m interested in.

1. Do you enjoy Party Games once in a while? If so which ones have done it for you? Do any deserve more than 5 in ratings terms?
2. Your “Euro snoot” comments about Conquest of Empires made me laugh out loud. But if I can get you serious for a moment, I’m going to play this one soon and will be intrigued to see how it contrasts to the sublime Struggle of Empires. Have you played both rule sets for CoE and if so which was better? You give SoE and CoE both 9’s. See ‘em getting to 10?
3. Which 5 games would you say were the most pure fun you ever played? You can define “fun” in anyway you feel is right.
4. Railroad Tycoon is one you’re waxing lyrical about. I too like Train games and am intrigued by your comments. How would you sell this one to us? What are its best features?
5. Are there any kids games that deserve to be rated higher than they are and why? Are there any you’d like to try out and maybe bring the kid out in yourself?
6. Have you ever been to Europe? If so, which place was the most interesting, if not where would you most like to go (apart from Essen).
7. Should the rapidly melting glaciers of Greenland keep us all awake at night? …Where do you stand on the whole global warming issue? Is it the biggest problem facing mankind which some folks are choosing to ignore at their peril or a colossal red-herring that gets way too much media-coverage?
8. What are the best 10 albums of all time? Goat’s Head Soup in there?
9. Which three characteristics in a person do you most like and dislike?
10. Who were your 5 greatest people of the 20th Century? Name 10 if you really want to.
11. Do you have nightmares about the Three Billy Goats Gruff? Would you consider the Troll to be a misunderstood and tragic hero?
12. Do you ever feel that Euro game design is getting a bit stale these days? Have you ever groaned either aloud or inside when you’ve seen yet another game with the same mechanic you’ve played scores of times already? Name names if you like!
13. Which films and songs bring a tear to your eye?
14. When have you been most scared in your life? I mean really scared?
15. Would the song Paddy Mc Ginty’s Goat really “get your goat?” * A British expression meaning to wind you up. http://www.lyricsdownload.com/val-doonican-paddy-mcgintys-go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo DW, What are the best and worst things about owning an FLGS? And what's with the obsession with bizarre rabbit-images?

BTW, an answer to YOUR question from the busy and badgeless...

Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr stand in lab coats next to a large vat. A tanker truck drives up, delivering vast quantities of feces, blood and urine, which are emptied into the vat. Guy and Youngman Grand (Sellers and Starr) produce gas masks. Sellers then takes a briefcase fill of pound notes and spreads the money into the noxious mixture, while Youngman paints a banner reading FREE MONEY! Sellers invites the horrified crowd to partake via a megaphone. Eventually even the stodgy bankers and barristers "take the plunge" to get at the money.

"Now getting it ready for YOU!" goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
DW,

1) If I recall correctly, you sold the bulk your game store but still maintained some ownership... How's business this holiday season?

2) Every week it seems someone here is lamenting the closing of their local game store... Is the death knell of locals near at hand?

3) Let me tee one up for you... Why are democrats always wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always figured you to be a guy that would sleep in a sleeping bag in the middle of a city park.

Ok standard questions:

1. What song would you like played at your funeral?
2. Blind or Deaf?

and on:

3. Is Motard the most embarassing name for something that you've ever heard? How do you feel about Motard racing?
4. If you could kill 5 people right now, with impunity, who would it be and why?
5. What is the worst tasting meat?
6. What do you think about that new Tofu that is supposed to replicate the flavor and consistancy of Human Flesh?
7. What game should we all have played, but for some reason gets completely overlooked?
8. What is the most irritating parasite?
9. Would you consider living in cities again?
10. What animal has the most disgusting scat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi DW,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions so to start with, here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak BoardGameSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game for d10-2 players
Favourite game for d10-3 players
Favourite game for d10-4 players
Favourite game for d10-5 players
Favourite game for d10-6 players
Favourite game for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple - my other confession is that I would be hard pressed to list just one game for most of the above)

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why. Mostly, if not exactly, the same list as before.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

And last but not least, what are the last five games that you have played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Actually Andrew, my grandpa's goats attempted to assassinate me, en masse, by herding me into an open well in Texas. Goats are the cloven-hoofed spawn of Satan and operate in a chain of command only two levels down from the Lord of Pestilance himself. They answer only to cats, then the big guy. What are good? Why, dogs are good.

A man after my own heart.
cats = thumbsdown devil
dogs = thumbsup (I decided not to use a bigger smile in case anyone got the wrong idea.)

What is the biggest coincidence you have ever experienced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrat on being the new GOTW. I love GOTW!

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you 100%. Goats are evil, vile creatures that do everything possible to crush your pelvis and eat your rosebushes.

Quote:
Ah... motorcycles...

Pretty much everything about being testosterone-drenched teenager with a motorcycle was crazy. But in my 20's I put my money where my
Most of my injuries were garden variety broken bones and ligament tears, along with some semi-permanent brain damage, which I'm still hoping to recover from. I did have an interesting one once though, my buddy and Moto Guzzi mechanic Chuck, drilled a hole completely through my hand when we were fixing the race bike. That was... different. It felt all warm and gooey.

Do you like painkillers? My ex-husband rode dirtbikes and he and his crowd all hobble around popping all the percocet they can get thier hands on....are you always in pain? I have come to the conclusion that motorcycles=PAIN

Quote:
I did read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I'll go with the metaphor answer because I remember very little of the book, actually, I don't recall much of that decade either.

All I remember is something about a guy and his dad riding bikes...guess I didn't get the metaphorical thing!

Quote:
I need to update my profile as I just last month sold the entire property to my ex-girlfriend and her parents. Long story, so I won't tell it. Now that I have some extra money I'm sitting around waiting for something cool to happen.

Congratulations.....at least on a couple of those things! Take your pick!

Quote:
My favorite forums are the ones where I can draw people in saying truly dumb stuff that is based on their own prejudices and blind adherence to a dead-end and pointless philosophy of life, gaming, politics, human nature or animal husbandry. I admit to having started one or two, even an incendiary Geek List every now and then. My favorite personal Geek List is the one that proved how evil George DubYa Bush is:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=46...

Heeee Heeee! I really like people like you...have we had a chance to argue yet?

Quote:

I'm terrible at this game. Every time I read the GotW answers to this I am stumped. Louise in particular left me hopelessly confused and I believed everything she said. Anyway...

Quote:
2. I once became so infuriated at another gamer, because he was stupidly mis-interpreting the rules to Blood Bowl, that I took the rulebook and slapped him repeatedly in the face with it. He stormed out but then later apologized for being so dense.

I can only hope this is true! I would have liked to see that!

Have fun answering the zillions of questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
For a moment I thought that said "is that a sword." I was quite confused. Completely random question: do you like swords?

Sure Mildred, I love swords. But I also have a slight bit of disdain for replica sword collecting... especially the replicas of swords that never existed, such as Lord of the Rings swords. On another note, I have been writing a blockbuster-best-seller-soon-to-be-a-major-motion-picture series of novels for the last 10 years and the main character's name is a play, of sorts, on the word sword.

I'll finish those books up as soon as I can find the files... or afford to have a couple of old hard drives recovered.

Quote:
The question: As gamers our perspectives on the different game companies are based almost entirely on the products they put out and occasionally on how they handle customer service issues. Have your experiences as a retailer provided any different perspectives that you'd care to share? Any publishers particularly nice or awful to do business with?

Hey Matt! Had I been able to make it any of the BGG admins attending would have been my guests at dinner, you guys do a great job. So maybe we'll do that next year... you do like Taco Bell, don't you?

Okay, a serious response to your main question. Most publishers I have met over the years are all of like minds. They're usually exactly like us consumers, except they make the games. I have met a few I didn't like, but very few. Almost to the man and woman, they are willing, productive, underpaid, determined and hopeful. Even those who experience success... Mayfair springs to mind as does Pete Adkinson and WotC, are usually even nicer people when they succeed.

Okay, that said, customer service is all about the employees and managers, not the "company" or the games. It waxes and wanes as people come and go. I'm not excusing bad customer service, just pointing out that the many threads here on BGG that complain about petty little things are of the "my sh*t don't stink" variety. This is an imperfect world and the loud and annoying complaints are very likely from people who themselves, are incapable of perfection in their jobs or at their profession.

I'm reminded of an annoying and bitchy friend of mine from long ago. We were sighting in our rifles, back when I hunted deer... which was before my daughter saw Bambi... and he was a terrible shot. Finally he blurted out, "I'll never buy another Remington! These guns are crap!" So I suggested finally, after listening to his rants about the gun maker, the sight maker, the cheapness of the products (he had indeed bought the least expensive equipment he could find), that he just bring a shotgun and get really, really close before pulling the trigger.

As for publishers being difficult, retailers normally deal with distributors, so we are insulated from that chore. I like the system, but it has it's own set of problems.

Quote:
Bonus question: In the spirit of the Book of Gord, tell us the story of your most nightmarishly stupid customer.

You had to bring up Magic: The Gathering, didn't you?

Quote:
You got rid of your job/business, your girlfriend and your property. Did you also get rid of your support for Bush and his gang?

Hey Joe!

Yep. I truly want a career change. I'm just not retail-minded and even though I tried for 23 years, I guess it's hard for me to change. The property? Yeah, I bought it because the little sweetheart swore on a stack of Horse&Rider magazines she'd do this and that. Instead she did that and this and so I sold it. She, of course, felt that her slow start in the horse business was really because I didn't... err... didn't... uhhh... well something didn't happen that was my fault. Or maybe it was something did happen that shouldn't have...well, whatever, no offense to the ladies, but the story changes often enough to confuse men like me.

Ahhh... George DubYa! Now why would I abandon him and his vision? I don't really want to get into a political thingie here, but things are going much better than many in the opposite camp predicted... oops, sorry, I need to wipe that kool-aid off my chin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have to answer Admiral Fisher's questions seperately. The responses to his form are always something I look forward to reading in GotW. So..

1. Do you enjoy Party Games once in a while? If so which ones have done it for you? Do any deserve more than 5 in ratings terms?

I rarely play them, probably because I don't have a group of "friends" or family that gathers for games. I used to really enjoy Pictionary, which I would rate as a 6, because my kids could be competitive alongside adults.

2. Your “Euro snoot” comments about Conquest of Empires made me laugh out loud. But if I can get you serious for a moment, I’m going to play this one soon and will be intrigued to see how it contrasts to the sublime Struggle of Empires. Have you played both rule sets for CoE and if so which was better? You give SoE and CoE both 9’s. See ‘em getting to 10?

I have played both rule sets for CoE and the advanced rules are definitely better. But, I did enjoy the revamp of the original rules. I'm starting to feel like a Martin Wallace fanboy here, but I think the SoE system is top-notch. Some may find it flawed, but I think they're responding to what the mechanics do... which is put pressure on the flaws in individual play styles and decision-making. In these games it's easy to get get yourself into a Hobson's Choice scenario, where no option is attractive. But that's the actual design of the game and once that's understood you can hopefully adapt.

3. Which 5 games would you say were the most pure fun you ever played? You can define “fun” in anyway you feel is right.

An impossible question, but...

a) Man O' War in the miniatures catagory
b) Bang! in the group hilarity catagory
c) Railroad Tycoon in the race against time catagory
d) Wolfpack (SPI) in the solitaire catagory
e) Power Grid in the Euro-Snoot catagory

4. Railroad Tycoon is one you’re waxing lyrical about. I too like Train games and am intrigued by your comments. How would you sell this one to us? What are its best features?

That's easy. It's a beautiful game. The race against time creates superb tension. The random product placement assures each game will be different. The auction, as in AOS, can make or break a plan, if you're attentive enough to understand the implications of turn-order. It feels competitive in a cleaner sense than AOS, meaning it's not a game you can usually win by screwing others on track placement, but instead, you can win by delivering better and faster. It's a tightrope walk, money versus time versus stocks versus auctions versus the mogul card objective and more. Wallace added features that defeat the stiff and screw-your-buddy nature of AOS but that also generates a more fluid level of competition. Oh yeah, and it weighs about 9 pounds and comes in a huge box. Yum.

5. Are there any kids games that deserve to be rated higher than they are and why? Are there any you’d like to try out and maybe bring the kid out in yourself?

I'll pass on this one. My older kids are adults and my young one hasn't advanced in age enough for games. Give it a couple of years.

6. Have you ever been to Europe? If so, which place was the most interesting, if not where would you most like to go (apart from Essen).

Many times. In fact, I lived in your fine country, in both Sussex and Surrey Counties. I liked Switzerland a lot, especially Lucerne. I worked a bit on a ship down in Spain and should have bought property in Valencia or Majorca back in the 70's. I was stranded once in Iceland and it was beautiful... but how the hell do they ever learn that language? France was... well... Frenchie. I also visited and worked in Germany, Denmark and a number of other smaller countries that all seemed like germany and France to me. I would probably pick Ireland as a spot to visit that I've missed.

7. Should the rapidly melting glaciers of Greenland keep us all awake at night? …Where do you stand on the whole global warming issue? Is it the biggest problem facing mankind which some folks are choosing to ignore at their peril or a colossal red-herring that gets way too much media-coverage?

Holy Crap Admiral!!! What a loaded question. Anyway, to be fair, there are environmental issues, no doubt. But I'm not certain that Global Warming is an impending disaster, or even an event outside of the normal flux of planetary geological and weather cycles. Yes, the media are a bunch of pit vipers who can't wait for the next bloodbath or natural disaster so they can parade the same group of idiots in front of the cameras to tell us what book to buy from them next.

8. What are the best 10 albums of all time? Goat’s Head Soup in there?

Nope, not that one. One's I like? Disreali Gears - Cream, Empty Rooms - John Mayall, Scarecrow - Garth Brooks, Abbey Road - The Beatles, anything by Chris Ledoux, anything by Savoy Brown, anything by Johnny Cash, Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent, oh man... I give up. Too much talent in this world to ever pick a mere ten of them.

9. Which three characteristics in a person do you most like and dislike?

In men, I like honesty, good humor and looking me in the eye. I dislike superior attitudes, macho posturing and foul smelling clothes. In women I like feminine wiles, intelligence and an attractive body and face. I dislike treachery, a sense of entitlement and moodiness.

I know... I'm screwed, aren't I?

10. Who were your 5 greatest people of the 20th Century? Name 10 if you really want to.

Easy one... 1)My dad 2)Ronald Reagan 3)Winston Churchill 4)The Unknown Soldier 5) My mom

I'll get the rest later.. gotta be somewhere in a few minutes..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, goats are clearly evil. My D&D campaign breifly featured some goatmen, who were allied with an evil Necromancer. They all got taken to another plane and turned into nice people though

(The goatmen- the Necromancer is as evil as ever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Quote:
I suppose the most shocking thing I can think of is that I have never been convicted of a felony.

Convicted, right? Never convicted (I'd expect nothing less from the inestimable Master Tripp).

Motorcycles, Doom Rabbits, socially unacceptable mayhem, assaults by the cloven-hoofed minions of Satan. Oh yeah - and games. Soul brother!

Oh, and Two Truths and a Lie?
In true Rabbit of Doom fashion, you're breaking the rules. All three are true.
(now don't disappoint me, man!)

Geek of the Week couldn't happen to a nicer miscreant. Congratulations and a tip o' the old Santa Hat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Okay, we played Liar's Dice, Bang!, Formula De and For Sale. Now I have the energy to respond to the rest of the stuff here...

11. Do you have nightmares about the Three Billy Goats Gruff? Would you consider the Troll to be a misunderstood and tragic hero?

Thankfully I don't have nightmares. Which means I either have a clean conscience or am beyond redemption. Either way, it's nice to get some rest. The Troll? He just wanted dinner, and goat does have a great flavor.

12. Do you ever feel that Euro game design is getting a bit stale these days?

I tend to think so. I pass up so many games based upon what I read here. Theme and a balance of chaos and mechanics are critical to my enjoyment. I'm nor real fan of the bland presentation of "most" Euros either. I am not expecting brilliant new game mechanics... why re-invent the wheel? But at the same time why not take a few chances and be innovative? Some that are seem to be the Sheer Panic people, Asmodee, the Freidman designs and then, of course, a number of USA based publishers, many of who get nothing but pans from the entrenched snoots who look down on games soaking in theme and using such horrible things as dice and random card draws.

13. Which films and songs bring a tear to your eye?

Yeah, right. Nice joke.

14. When have you been most scared in your life? I mean really scared?

Twice. Both involving my older son. When he was a year old he fell ill. The doctor told us to meet him at the hospital, fearing some sort of meningitis I think. The doctor told the nurse, "10cc of Children's Tylenol for his fever". When the nurse returned and began filling the little throat dropper from a bottle I got a weird feeling, the bottle looked all wrong. So I jumped up and grabbed it and it was codeine. The doctor later told me the nurse had been let go. Another time was when he was four and began choking on a piece of hard candy he had filched. We were in the car and it was crazy for a few minutes until he coughed it up.

In later years when he started getting normal injuries like broken bones, concussions and knife wounds I breathed a sigh of relief. Nothing is more terrifying to me than a child in distress and when it's mine I go into hyper mode.

15. Would the song Paddy Mc Ginty’s Goat really “get your goat?”

Thankfully, I haven't connected my speakers since I moved.

This from cabalzero, who I gave 5gg to for describing the pig sh*t scene:

DW, What are the best and worst things about owning an FLGS? And what's with the obsession with bizarre rabbit-images?

The customers. That answers both. Everything is always about the people. Usually I find people very disagreeable, but then I get a hankering for someone to pick on and I need a ready pool of victims. Owning a game store satisfied that very well.

The rabbit thing is just a passion that grew on me over the years. Cooked rabbit tastes nearly as good as roasted goat and their pelts make a nicer throw rug or antenna decoration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Theme and a balance of chaos and mechanics are critical to my enjoyment. I'm nor real fan of the bland presentation of "most" Euros either. I am not expecting brilliant new game mechanics... why re-invent the wheel? But at the same time why not take a few chances and be innovative? Some that are seem to be the Sheer Panic people, Asmodee, the Freidman designs and then, of course, a number of USA based publishers, many of who get nothing but pans from the entrenched snoots who look down on games soaking in theme and using such horrible things as dice and random card draws.

Amen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
DW,

1) If I recall correctly, you sold the bulk your game store but still maintained some ownership... How's business this holiday season?

2) Every week it seems someone here is lamenting the closing of their local game store... Is the death knell of locals near at hand?

3) Let me tee one up for you... Why are democrats always wrong?

1. Nope, I just started selling off the bulk of the stock and have re-ordered less and less. When I wrap it up in a couple of weeks the remains will be eBay material.

2. I don't think so. In SW Idaho alone there is one store that opened in the exact location I had in Boise... the wisdom in that move is in question, but at least they're there. Another opened up a couple of months later and several long-time friends of mine are planning a new store in the spring. I think that's probably the case in most areas. I could carry on endlessly about why I believe local stores will remain healthy overall, but mostly it boils down to human nature. 90% of people like shopping for the things that attract them. The other 10% are souless automatons who marry and spawn their young because of a pre-programmed set of instructions designed to outbreed real humans and turn the world into a cruel and humorless planetoid held in thrall to the marketing memes of the electronic sales moguls.

3. Good one. Will Rogers answered that question long before it became topical. His words: "It's not ignorance that's so bad. It's all the things we know that ain't so."

Quote:
Motorcycles, Doom Rabbits, socially unacceptable mayhem, assaults by the cloven-hoofed minions of Satan. Oh yeah - and games. Soul brother!

And a Merry Christmas to you Senor Post! We are indeed Bruthah's from different Mutha's and I was reminded of this a couple weeks back when packing my belongings and pulling out my pristine Those Annoying Post Brothers t-shirt. Such clean art and writing, what a couple of wonderful fellas. I still have the comics as well. I know, I'm strange, but I'm loyal too.

I'll get back to you on the two truths and a lie thing.

Even Morgan, one of my favorite Geeks asked great questions and has keen observations...

Quote:
I always figured you to be a guy that would sleep in a sleeping bag in the middle of a city park.

In my defense, I didn't know it was an actual park. And the ticket was just a misdemeaner, the fine was much less than a hotel room in the city.

Quote:
1. What song would you like played at your funeral?

Beer Run, the Garth Brooks & George Jones version would be nice. If that can't be arranged I'd like the full-length Iron Butterfly version of Inna-Godda-Da-Vida played on a crappy stereo through K-Mart speakers at full volume in a stuffy little chapel packed to the hilt with people I owed money to when I stepped off into the Pale.

Quote:
2. Blind or Deaf?

Easy choice. Deaf, because it would save me from pasty-faced Hillbillies in beat up Toyotas playing that 50 Cent crap at sonic weapon level and disrupting the harmonic calm that usually accompanies me wherever I go. Plus, it would leave me my eyesight so that I could prove to Mister 50 Cent that the first nine guys were just lousy shots.

Quote:
3. Is Motard the most embarassing name for something that you've ever heard? How do you feel about Motard racing?

You have that so right Morgan that it's scary. When I first heard that stupid word all I could think of was the dumbass Metrosexuals putting around like little pansies on their scooters. You know, mo, for motor, tard, for retard. Realistically, the only people on Earth who can ride scooters and not look like complete nimrods are Italians.

SuperMoto (supermotard) is not my favorite form of competition. It's too contrived. By the way, I found out from Wikipedia that Motard is what the French call SuperMoto. Duh. No wonder.

Quote:
4. If you could kill 5 people right now, with impunity, who would it be and why?

Crap. I only get five? I'll put it to you this way... there are way more pedophiles, rapists, evil tyrants and lawyers than five. Oh well, I guess I'd just start locally and work my way up.

Quote:
5. What is the worst tasting meat?

Anything boiled... in England.

Quote:
6. What do you think about that new Tofu that is supposed to replicate the flavor and consistancy of Human Flesh?

Eh? Is someone trying to get Idi Amin to become a vegan?

Quote:
7. What game should we all have played, but for some reason gets completely overlooked?

I'm going to go with Rivets on this one. It's really a great little two player game and in my view a real innovation in mechanics for it's day... which was the late 70's as I recall.

Quote:
8. What is the most irritating parasite?

Hillary Clinton, the hands down winner.

Quote:
9. Would you consider living in cities again?

Yes. And if I did, I'd very likely pick New York. I agree with many that it's the coolest city on the planet and despite what people in the sticks think, New Yorkers are good people... especially if you don't carry cash and leave your jewelry at home.

Quote:
10. What animal has the most disgusting scat?

Cats. Little known fact... cat crap when liquified will eat through any metal known to man but a simple carpet and pad will stop it cold... where it will remain, putrifying, a odiferous reminder of catness that will survive for untold centuries. When Ridley Scott wanted to simulate the Alien slobber that ate through bulkheads he simply ordered up a bunch of liquified cat scat and had the special effects crew put a nice rug under the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you have 'Buy Locally' as a mantra when you sell a good deal of stuff on ebay via http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam... (and possibly other online outlets that we are not privy to).

Are your customers on ebay buying from you rather than supporting their FLGS? How is this not a double standard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And now the usuals from Fraser McHarg. Fraser and his lovely wife are the newest contributors to our group blog. Just go here to read the lovely Melissa's first article, wherein she details why Fraser spends so many lonely nights on the couch:

http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2005/12/winning-losing-an...

Now to the questions:

Quote:
Favourite game for 2 players
Favourite game for 3 players
Favourite game for 4 players
Favourite game for 5 players
Favourite game for 6 players
Favourite game for 7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't - my other confession is that I would be hard pressed to list just one game for most of the above)

Memoir '44 for two. I dislike 3 player settings but I guess I'd choose Europe Engulfed if I could and probably something like T&E if we didn't have 12 hours to blow. For four I think T&E works well, as does Oasis and about 50 other great games. I truly enjoy Power Grid the most when played with five. Two excellent six player games are Railroad Tycoon and Regatta. Another one is Formula De or for a quick game, For Sale. The only Seven player games worth playing are Bang! and Poker.

I hate word association stuff Fraser, I always get the answers wrong and then the man changes my meds. But I'll give it a shot:

Space ships ~ Full Thrust, great game
Witches ~ Techno Witches ~ unplayed as of today
Trains ~ RRT, AOS, Empire Builder, Santa Fe Rails ~ love them all
Transport (may include trains) ~ see above
Workers (paid or otherwise) ~ Puerto Rico, duh
Trading ~ Can't think of anything, my mind needs to Settle a bit
Building ~ Acquire
Pink ~ Gay Monopoly
Theme ~ Anything not designed in Germany
Ships ~ Man O' War
Money ~ Poker
Purple ~ Whoopie Goldberg
Government ~ Manifest Destiny
Vampires ~ Robartin
Infrastructure ~ Bob the Builder game
Dice ~ Liar
Dinosaurs ~ That weird card game from Steve Jackson... name?
Gemstones ~ Runebound
Dragons ~ D&D
Beer ~ Poker again
Wands ~ Dungeon Twister, a game I am terrible at

Quote:
And last but not least, what are the last five games that you have played?

Four were today, I listed them earlier, but here they are again: Formula De, Liar's Dice, For Sale and Bang! On Thursday we played Railroad Tycoon and Bang!

These are from Laura, who admitted to Louise that she lives in a double-wide so I fear for her safety if the Xians let a rogue tornado head her way.

Quote:
Do you like painkillers? My ex-husband rode dirtbikes and he and his crowd all hobble around popping all the percocet they can get thier hands on....are you always in pain? I have come to the conclusion that motorcycles=PAIN

True enough. By the way, does your husband have any extras to spare? My doctor in Boca Raton got shut down when some guy named Rush ran into the law.

Quote:
Heeee Heeee! I really like people like you...have we had a chance to argue yet?

And I like people who like me, even if they do giggle and argue. But I'm betting we won't argue cause I'm a gentleman and I never argue with ladies that I wasn't married to.

Nice She-Santa avatar Laura.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Why do you have 'Buy Locally' as a mantra when you sell a good deal of stuff on ebay via http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam... (and possibly other online outlets that we are not privy to).

Are your customers on ebay buying from you rather than supporting their FLGS? How is this not a double standard?

Well Pro, a double standard implies an opportunity offered to a select group that is not ordinarily available to others. eBay is an outlet that hundreds of game stores around the world use to move merchandise to markets that want them when their local market has no demand.

The other useful thing about eBay is it's the only good venue for out of print games, miniatures and other hard to find goods. Back in about 1985 I started buying and selling used games in earnest. It worked pretty good because I got to recycle a lot of stuff, mainly RPG material, several times and the local gamers got stuff cheap. As my reputation for having large amounts of used stuff grew I ended up buying thousands of dollars a year worth of books, games and miniatures. So much that my offers went down and down and down. Even then, I ended up renting a storage space and eventually buying a small portable storage building to house the huge volume of unsold crap I had.

My strategy was to cycle items through the store and when they sat long enough, unsold, box 'em, store 'em and put new used crap out. You can probably imagine what over 15 years of this amounted to in sheer volume.

I found eBay by accident. I asked someone back in 97 or 98 how I might find a specific game item that I wanted and they referred me to eBay. Over several months I bought quite a bit of stuff I wanted and eventually discovered several of my local customers selling used RPG stuff online they had bought from me and getting prices that were three, four and even five times what I sold it to them for.

From about 98 on I used eBay to identify valuable items, offered them locally at about 20% less and then if they didn't sell after several months I took them to eBay.

Needless to say, since almost everything I owned that was used had been sold to me because nobody here wanted it, I was thrilled to have a venue. Over the last several years close to 40% of everything I sell goes to Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and lately Mexico and even South America. 95% of what I sell is out of print.

For retailers eBay is also a great way to dispose of items that are new but of zero interest locally. I think your question is a valid one, perhaps a bit accusatory, but worthy of a detailed response.

And I also appreciate the link to my eBay store. I'd never have put that on BGG myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.