Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know these, but want to confirm.

On the first turn, there is no way the Japanese player could take Guadalcanal and control it. He could spend the RP and move a ship and ground unit 4 spaces (naval movement is reduced by 2 and Guadalcanal is 4 sea areas away), and when he stops adjacent to Guadalcanal, the ground unit could take one side or the other.

If that naval unit were carrying TWO ground units, both must take the same side and cannot split up because of (7.1.1) A naval unit or stack can suspend its movement to either embark or disembark ground units from or into ONE land area adjacent to the naval area it occupies ...)

(If I am wrong on this, please correct me)

I thought about having a second stack of 1 naval unit + 1 ground unit move from Rabaul to Guadalcanal and drop his ground unit to take the other side of Guadalcanal as his one area from rule 7.1.1.

However, from what I read on the forum, when he stops movement in the same sea area as the other naval unit that was already there, then he MUST stack. That means that a) 7.1.1 still applies.

Question #1
Am I reading this correctly? Or does he suspend movement, launch the 2nd amphibious invasion to take the other side of the island, and THEN stack? If that is the case, then he COULD take Guadalcanal because each naval move would cost 2 SPs and the combining would cost 2 SP, for a total of 6.

Question #2: If you have to control all parts of an island to control the urban victory point areas on it, then right before he runs out of cards, the Japanese player could launch an attack into a non-point part of New Guinea and deny the Allied player all of those points (such at Port Moresby)? Or does this rule only apply to the small islands?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I think I know these, but want to confirm.

On the first turn, there is no way the Japanese player could take Guadalcanal and control it. He could spend the RP and move a ship and ground unit 4 spaces (naval movement is reduced by 2 and Guadalcanal is 4 sea areas away), and when he stops adjacent to Guadalcanal, the ground unit could take one side or the other.

If that naval unit were carrying TWO ground units, both must take the same side and cannot split up because of (7.1.1) A naval unit or stack can suspend its movement to either embark or disembark ground units from or into ONE land area adjacent to the naval area it occupies ...)

(If I am wrong on this, please correct me)

I thought about having a second stack of 1 naval unit + 1 ground unit move from Rabaul to Guadalcanal and drop his ground unit to take the other side of Guadalcanal as his one area from rule 7.1.1.

However, from what I read on the forum, when he stops movement in the same sea area as the other naval unit that was already there, then he MUST stack. That means that a) 7.1.1 still applies.

Question #1
Am I reading this correctly? Or does he suspend movement, launch the 2nd amphibious invasion to take the other side of the island, and THEN stack? If that is the case, then he COULD take Guadalcanal because each naval move would cost 2 SPs and the combining would cost 2 SP, for a total of 6.

Question #2: If you have to control all parts of an island to control the urban victory point areas on it, then right before he runs out of cards, the Japanese player could launch an attack into a non-point part of New Guinea and deny the Allied player all of those points (such at Port Moresby)? Or does this rule only apply to the small islands?

Thanks

Hi,

a) you just must pay SP´s for stacking unit in a GROUND area, not naval. So, you could launch two Japanese naval Task Forces with a ground unit each and make two amphibious landings in Guadalcanal in the same On-Board Operation, so taking control of the island.

b) This rule only aplies to small islands. Urban areas give their VP value to the side controlling them -regardless of the rest of the island they are in.

Best Regards and Happy New Year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, which are the "small" islands? Are they only the one, two, and three area islands? Is New Ireland (Nueva Irlanda), a four area island, included in the "small island" category, as it applies to VP/control calculations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No New Ireland is not included. You just have to control Kavieng, the location with a number of VP printed besides it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.