Subject: Amoeba spreading question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solitaire version with the amoebas, I don't think I quite understand the way they spread. The rules say that "each" amoeba which is adjacent to an empty hex will spread once per Economic phase. Does this mean that 3 adjacent hexes with type 1 amoebas would become 6 adjacent hexes with type 1 amoebas during a single economic phase if there were empty spaces? Or does the original 3 hex amoeba grow by one hex to become a 4 hex amoeba? I'm in deep doo doo if it is the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Leon Mora
Spain
Valencina de la ConcepciĆ³n
Sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that each token try to spread. Today I have played in this way. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Each counter spreads once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! So amoeba numbers can theoretically double each economic phase, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Yes, theoretically. However, once there are a number of amoebas on the board, there won't be hexes for them all to spread into. They will no longer be doubling, but they will be spreading quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, does a single mine prevent only one amoeba counter from spreading or does it prevent every amoeba of that type from spreading? I guess I am getting wrapped up with the conceptual idea of an amoeba spreading to a new sector instead of "moving" to a new sector and thinking that the amoeba is growing in size instead of splitting off and forming more amoebas. Yes it would be a huge amoeba, but on the other hand, if it is dividing and creating more amoebas to fill adjacent sectors of space, those new amoebas are certainly "traveling" a long way to get to their new sectors (so they do "move" thematically - contrary to the rules.).

Don't get me wrong either way would be fine and it doesn't take anything away from the game. It's just that my understanding of the theme is leading to my misunderstanding of the rules.

Thanks, Jim, in advance, for any further clarifications.

Love the game, BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
A mine only stops an amoeba from spreading if it is in the hex with it before it spreads - so only that amoeba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Just finished the scenario on easy (amoebas start spreading in economy phase 7. Didn't need any mines but probably will on higher difficulties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.