Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I acquired mint s/w copies of Medina and Liberté from Noble Knight when no one else seemed to have any. I was happy with my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased several Metagaming items that were very hard to find elsewhere and they were packed more than adequately and arrived in a very timely fashion.

My kudos added to the pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hudson
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a used game that turned out to be in worse condition than described on their site. I informed them and they sent a replacement straightaway. Great service! I also agree they have things in stock when others don't. I was able to order Caylus from them when no one else had it.

I recommend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your description, I went over to Noble Knight Games to have a look. I thought it was wonderful that they had an inventory of games from my youth (SPI, AH, etc). Then I came across one title, SPI's Fast Carriers, with photos that looked oh so familiar. In fact they looked so familiar I recognized my game table, den, and custom mounted player aids in the photo! The photos were copied from BGG, thumbnailed and modified to include Noble Knight Games web address! Not the most ethical activity a company trying to maintain a good reputation would engage in. Assuming they will make things right if it's brought to their attention, I sent them the following note:

Quote:

In recently browsing your online store, I noticed you have infringed on my content by copying and altering my photos of SPI's Fast Carriers which were published to www.boardgamegeek.com under the Creative Commons license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/1.0/ ). The infringing content is at:
http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetail.asp_Q_ProductID_E_1..._

In essence, there are three restrictions to the use of the content (which you have infringed in all three cases):

1. Attribution: You must provide attribution as to the source of the content (you did not reference me nor www.boardgamegeek.com).

2. No Derivative Works: You altered the photo to thumbnail it for catalog use and added your website address both of which constitute a derivative work.

3. Noncommercial: You used the derivative works for commercial purposes which are expressely forbidden by the license.

The source content can be found at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/15850
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/15848

Please remove the infringing content and notify me at the above e-mail address upon compliance.

I'll let you know if they respond and what action they take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a response (pleasantly quick but somewhat confusing):

Quote:
Subject: RE: copyright infringement
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:51 -0600
To: 'Ron Krantz'

Sorry, get lots of our pics from users just like you do, will remove within
a day or two.

Best Regards,
Aaron Leeder

Noble Knight Games
"Where the Out-of-Print is Available Again"
http://www.nobleknight.com

It appears that Noble Knights Games accepts photo submissions from "users" rather than photograph the merchandise they are selling directly. I find no mention of this on their site nor any way to submit a photo associated with a title so I find this response somewhat suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
Boy, what a pretentious SOB you are! How did their publishing that photo
inconvenience you or cause you any financial harm? I'm assuming that you
must be a lawyer or someone litagatious like that. Get a grip and chill!yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have had a problem if they had asked. What bothered me (and what bothers many others) is that they assumed they could take without asking and use it to make a profit. I'm not sharing for others to profit commercially - that's the whole point behind the creative commons license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, I assume it is the same as with other web-sides: Some users are honest, they take photos of their games and send them - for example - to a source like BGG.

But there are some sneaky users - they use photos or descriptions (there was a discussion here on the geek but I don't remember the link) from sources like BGG and use these photos on ebay, Noble Knights and other web-pages.

Due to the fact that you have to declare, that these photos are geniune, that you took them, that you wrote the report doesn't even bother these "sneaky users".

So the best that you can do is to inform the web-side that uses your photos, contact them, proof that you are the "owner" of these photos and ask them to remove them from their side or allow them to use them too.

I had a lot of business with Noble Knight and are always treated fair and really in the best way you can tread a customer. So I can't imagine that someone who is a honest and caring seller is "a traitor" in using someone elses photo.

I usually ask the following question: If I am the one who has such a webside and ask from for photos from users and the user, who sends me a photo declares that he took the photo - to speak legally: that he owns the right to this photo - and allows me to use it on my web-side, what else should I do more than to belief him? One solution is to never use photos on my web-side (this would look funny here on the geek) or, if someone proofs to me that this photo is stolen from you, that I take the photo away from the side. I think we can't assume that someoen who is posting photos has to check the whole internet for this photo.

I found his answer very clear, he said that he would take the photo away from the side. So this fulfills your demand, doesn't it.

I know that this can be a very upsetting thing but I think the description shows that it is not only a problem of the admin of a webside but sometimes has to do with cheaters on the user-side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
RaDiKal wrote:
I find no mention of this on their site nor any way to submit a photo associated with a title so I find this response somewhat suspect.

You are sick.
Please get a life.
Or maybe discover life first.
Or go see a doctor.

Anyway do something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
New Orleans is under water, thousands are without homes. Our servicemen
and women are in harm's way fighting terrorists, and this guy is bitching because someone took a photo of one of his games and didn't give him proper credit or something. I'm sorry I just can't see that it's such a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply pointed out the rules of the road. I made it as clear as I could with appropriate pointers. I didn't call anyone names nor get in a huff. I didn't demand remuneration or damages. He read, agreed, and replied quickly. The pictures have been withdrawn as promised.

I don't have a problem with Noble Knight Games - I'd do business with them in the future. Nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.