Kim K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What were some of the highlights of the year for you on Yucata?

(feel free to add your own categories to the ones in the post below, if you'd like meeple)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that it's the new year & a good time for these kind of things, I was reflecting on my gaming experiences on Yucata this past year. (I first started playing there in February of 2012.)

Most played game on Yucata: Oregon - Can't really explain it, but I just love it...

Biggest surprise: Two by Two - It didn't look like there was all that much there at first. But as is typical, the more I played, the more I saw. It rose from being a seemingly random game of cute animals, to become one that really makes me think. Not ocean deep kind of think, but not wading pool shallow either! Surpisingly became one of my favorites.

Most frustrating interface to learn at first:
*Space Mission - Literally couldn't get my spaceship off the launch pad for several minutes the first time blush
I first methodically, then frantically, clicked everything in sight (in every conceivable order!)
*A close second: how the game chat functions...LOL! Common Q's to self: "Why on earth isn't my chat staying?? It was just there a moment ago..."
*Honorable mention: Tally Ho! - My most common chat Q to my opponent the first game "Are you SURE there isn't a bug? My fox won't move..." (Remember that game, Jood?? shake)
All of these seem totally basic now, but they definitely weren't at first. Lesson noted: what is frustrating with the interface at the moment, may be worth many good laughs down the road.

Most impressive game page: a tie between Founding Fathers & Space Mission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Bone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started in June of 2012, it's been awesome.

Most Played Game: The Hanging Gardens by a lot! 62 plays, compared to several games in the high 20's, and Thunderstone in second place with 30. I attribute this to loving 2 player Hanging Gardens, and playing it almost constantly, with the person who replied to my first ever public invite to play it with me.

Biggest Suprise: I've found I enjoy the occasional abstract game, when I'd never really played them that much before. I'm still not super good at them though...
As for game that improved the most on repeat plays, I find I'm enjoying War of Roses and seeing the stratagy for it a lot better now, and I no longer find it too long.

Most Frusterating interface: By far, space mission. So much so, I don't ever want to play it again after two tries. Maybe in a year or so, I'll reconsider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love yucata! I think my BIGGEST SURPRISE was how much fun it is!

Oddly enough, MY MOST PLAYED GAME is Just 4 Fun, not actually a favorite. I think it was the first game I played and I could never win so I just kept at it.

Space Mission is definitely MOST FRUSTRATING INTERFACE. I think it's the only game I've given up entirely.

MOST HUMILIATING EXPERIENCE has been trying to get the hang of Hacienda. It's a gateway game but you couldn't tell it by me. I just don't get it despite numerous rereadings of the rules. I even contemplated buying it to learn IRL, hoping it would click.

I seem to get caught up in games and almost obsessed with them for awhile at least, while I'm learning them. I like how playing with different people can give you an entirely different experience with a game. That's really fun when you have a limited gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Bone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The different gaming experience based on who you're playing with is why there are almost no games I'll really never play again. Even though I'm annoyed at space mission, I'm sure it'll wear off eventually and I'll see that invite out there, and I'll be like, maybe this time I'll get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... lets see. I think the best thing about Yucata this year was starting to play with all the women here. I posted our "thread" in Feb after some chatting in the other threads had resulting in playing a few games with a couple of different women from in here.

I had been on Yucata for awhile and I loved playing with many of my friends ... but it has been really extra nice playing with y'all. Plus it has had the side benefit I think of helping engage more women in this Forum as well. So Win-Win. Yeah Yucata!

As for games... my favorite game of 2012 was definitely Torres. It was added in late Dec 2011 and as it was one of my "10" rated games that I almost never got to play face to face (other than running it at conventions occasionally) so go get to play well over a 100 games of it this year was just incredibly fun and satisfying.

I also loved playing a lot of Thunderstone, even though I suck at it.

I wouldn't say Arcadia is a favorite, but it has been my surprise mystery when it comes to True Skill... I don't play it a lot, and I never feel like I really know what I am doing... and yet my TS keeps going up so I must be doing something right. I just wish I knew what it was. LOL

Games that were "New" to me that I am enjoying include At the Gates of Loyang and Rattus.

El Grande as an old classic I love but almost never get to play being rolled out this Christmas has set itself up to be my "Torres" of 2013... so we will see.

That is the stuff that I can think of right now... I might think of more highlights later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.