Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems in the last few years all you see being recommended are games that were made, well, in the last few years. I know 2011 was a great year, 2010 was okay, and 2012 was....ehhh, but this "cult of the new" didn't always seem so commonplace here.

To often people are being lead to a game as we all hop on the bandwagon and flood the boards, and similarly we see a massive sell,trade,auction off happen before the game as been owned for a year.

It seems to mostly be the case with games with some "novelty" mechanic, but the most recent example I can give of the build up to release, than nothing has been D Day Dice and Seasons. I couldn't go 5 minutes without seeing it recommended. Now there is nothing...unless of course you are looking at math trades, 1-for-1 trades, auctions, or the marketplace.

It has been discouraging to see so many people lead astray by this seemingly new "cult of the new" mentality here (within the last 2 years).

So here I go, making a list of the CURRENTLY most hyped games here on BGG through the recommendation forum that I believe we will hear little to nothing about in a year.

1) Escape: The curse of the Temple: pure novelty
2) T'zolk'in: Mayan Calendar: ohh it has gears?!?!
3) Zombiecide: recommendations starting to fade
4) Love Letter: huh!! I don't think so

What are yours??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it has been done for wargames, but some geeklists have been made for those games comparing owners, people wanting it, and people willing to trade and then tracking them over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...well, many of us are still very new to board games. I've only really been into the hobby for a year now. I only play with my husband and I have no one else's games to play. That being said, I completely got sucked into the cult of the new. I think it's a natural process to be dazzled by the huge variety of games and until one knows what to look for. I don't see a way to avoid some mistakes along the way. However, I don't feel I've been "led astray". I don't believe others have been either. I read someone here saying that most of us are just looking for an excuse to buy the games we look into. I've recognized myself falling into that pattern at times in the last year. Now that I've acquired a good size collection I'm playing my way through and learning what I enjoy most, I'm becoming much more selective about what I buy and insulated from The Hotness. Honestly, when I hear long-time gamers bemoaning the current state of things, it makes me suspect some kind of ego-boosting motivation to reinforce ones imagined pedigree as a seasoned gamer and "look what fools these noobs are". You might not even come close to having that intention but I think hype is somewhat subjective. I have Escape, Tzolkin, and Seasons among many others. I don't feel led astray on Escape. It's different from anything else I have and we have fun playing it. Haven't played Tzolkin yet so no comment. Seasons hasn't hooked me after a couple of plays but maybe it might be that my brain isn't wired to enjoy this game as much as other folks. There is some truth in what you say though. I almost got sucked into Zombicide but now suspect its not a good fit. I get a sense that Kingdom Death: Monster is all about the minis (nevermind the boobs) but there doesn't seem to be much of a game there that I can see yet. I don't see us sitting around talking about a bunch of old games unless they are still in print. Personally, as far as recommendations go, I hate it when people recommend OOP games. So those are some of my thoughts. Maybe after a few years in I'll be guilty of making the same observations you are now. If I do,then my bad for forgetting how seductive all the game reviews and the BGG community as a whole was in my early days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster will rise to the top 100 the month it is released. Top 50 within 2 months; top 30 within 3, regardless of the play quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You being dazzled is exactly my point. When someone recommends a game and it has some novel feature, a new gamer can't help but be dazzled. You obviously misinterpreted my intent if you think I was calling out new gamers as I too can't stand it. I'm sorry that my predictions of games you own disagree with your own view, but that is what predictions are all about. I just think it would be fun to look over those new games that are hot now and make predictions on what you think people will be getting rid of the next year.

There is currently a most hyped/biggest disappointment thread somewhere around here. Instead of looking back it seems more fun to look into the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster will rise to the top 100 the month it is released. Top 50 within 2 months; top 30 within 3, regardless of the play quality.

Great Prediction!!

So long as we are talking about meteoric rises I predict X-Wing will settle somewhere between 15 and 20 by this time next year.

This might be completely wrong, but I feel like I am seeing a big sell off of Legendary and Mage Knight recently. Anyone see anything to that? Is a fall coming from Mage Knight??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar took two months to hit the Top 100. Mice and Mystics sold out of its print run and is just inside of the Top 300. Android: Netrunner in its first month wasn't inside of the Top 200. If I were a betting man, this would be easy money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
ralpher wrote:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar took two months to hit the Top 100. Mice and Mystics sold out of its print run and is just inside of the Top 300. Android: Netrunner in its first month wasn't inside of the Top 200. If I were a betting man, this would be easy money.

Hmm, I guess you're right--AT games do rise much faster than Euros but a Kickstarter game still won't get enough sales to rise as fast as your Netrunner. So maybe 3 months, 5, and 7 months for Sedition Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:

3) Zombiecide: recommendations starting to fade

I shall have to do something about that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting topic, and good predictions! I'm not too sure about Escape: The curse of the Temple, though. Simple, fun games like that tend to stick around; compare with Pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombiecide will be around since people will ask about a zombie game recommendation and it will get mentioned. I think a deck builder or worker placement game has a far bigger chance of being lost in the mass of those games that come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Talking about new games is sexy. Searching for that elusive new mechanic or play style is a major focus for many here - myself included. A site like BGG wouldn't have a huge appeal if the users were just reminiscing about titles from years gone by. Also, a large amount of the biggest content contributors have their own goals of publishing or working on a game of their own. It's self feeding and is what will drive BGG to become bigger as years go by (or until everyone gets exhausted from the never ending onslaught of new games).

I agree with your notions that virtually all of the new and upcoming releases will be forgotten/pushed aside in a years or two time. Even games that made a big splash (like Eclipse) will start to get washed away by the tidal wave of games coming our way.

I think the games that will have the longest staying power is the games that requires an invested and loyal audience. Collectable games like Android: Netrunner and X-Wing and possibly other miniatures games that I've not researched have the biggest chance of long term appeal as they've been pre-designed to have a salivating audience waiting to inject more funds into the same game system with each new card pack or toy in a box. I find it unlikely that many Euros from from this generation will have much staying power. Tzolk'in, Terra Mystica, Space Cadets, Suburbia, Archipelago and Robinson Cruesoe are currently at the top of many lust lists but I feel that they'll be barely noticed in 1 - 2 year's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Zombiecide will be around since people will ask about a zombie game recommendation and it will get mentioned.

Particularly if I haven't died, and still have an internet connection, and computer, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'cult of the new' screams nearly every kickstarted game that does provide a ruleset during the campaign.

If they don't provide a ruleset during the kickstarted project, they obviously didn't playtest the game like they should OR the gameplay just plain sucks.

Sedition Wars, Zombiecide and Kingdom Death:Monster all come to mind. All the kickstarters will initially love the game. However as word spreads and time progresses, everyone will see it's true colors.. Just a bunch of miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I think a deck builder or worker placement game has a far bigger chance of being lost in the mass of those games that come out.

Thinking about this, I think Village will fall into this category. If I'm thinking worker placement, I seem to list off 6 or so before I get to it, and it won an award in 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
Talking about new games is sexy.

I bet you will never see this line outside BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

Depends on what kind of games we're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kickstarted Kingdom Death: Monster...and while I spent a good sum of money...

Yes, half of the appeal is the mini's...the other half is the game.

I think that the game will be decent...I'm not expecting it to be "the best game ever"...but I only need to get $300 worth of enjoyment to break even...play through the campaign a couple times (30 mins a shot...15-20 games...works out to 10 hours a run...two times is 20 hours of play time...equates to $15 dollars an hour for my entertainment...I spend as much to go to a movie)...besides it's not the most I've spent on one game system before...

That being said...I believe that all games have high and low points...and in the end it depends on the people playing the game as to whether or not it is fun or not. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpasmeny wrote:
equates to $15 dollars an hour for my entertainment...I spend as much to go to a movie

You need to find cheaper theaters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzerknacker wrote:
Butsudoka wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

Do I sense a kinky undertone, sir?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

Well to be fair...I talk about new games and I am.....sexy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:
Panzerknacker wrote:
Butsudoka wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

Do I sense a kinky undertone, sir?

Aaaaabsolutely not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My prediction is that rather than Zombicide disappearing in a year or two's time, there will still be endless debates/arguments in the Zombicide>>General and Zombicide>Rules forums about:

1. The balance/imbalance/themeticality (new word!) of the ranged weapon priority rules.
2. The balance/imbalance/themeticality of the zombie group splitting rules.
3. How unfair/insulting it is that Kickstarter backers have all these sculpts for the additional characters that one can download the character stat cards for from the Guillotine Games website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a game and you play it say 50 times over a 2 year span and then the game is not talked about anymore, is that a success or a failure? Hmmmmmm.

But, some games have a longer life. I still love Torres, Tigris and Euphrates, and Through The Desert and they are all over 10 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, at some point discussing and dismissing the cult of the new becomes its own cult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.