Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently my girlfriend asked me for a list of games that I want for my Birthday next 13 and I wanted to add some Worker placement games to the list since I just bought Stone Age @ the App Store and we both enjoyed it a lot. I have 3 games that I really like to add but I just want to keep 2 out of the 3 which one would you guys/gals think works best with 2(we occasionally have a third and rarely a fourth)finally which ones do you guys/gals like the most and why.

These are the games:

The Manhattan Project

Agricola

Carson City

Than you guys for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know anything bout Carson City, but here is something regarding the other two:

If you want a medium-heavy euro game with a lot of player interaction, more ways to screw over your friends and a nice theme, go for the Manhattan Project.
If you want a deeper, heavier euro where every player plays a sort of multi-player solitaire game, go for Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Manhattan project.

Agricola is great - but please keep in mind that it *may* just be you two playing it - it seems hard to get out on to the table otherwise - perhaps due to it's 'complexity'.

Carson City was fun - rules are a little odd - but I enjoyed it as well.
Agricola is one of my wife's favourite games - for what it's worth....

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the three, my favourite is Manhattan Project. It's got a nice tableau-building aspect to improve your worker-placement along your own strategy, and some good interaction (spies can use others' buildings, bombers can destroy them).

I think I'd lean toward Carson City over Agricola for the second, but that's just my preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Morse
Wales
Penarth
vale of glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played The Manhattan Project, so I can't comment on that.

Carson City is a worker placement game with confrontation and I've had great fun with it.

Agricola is a heavy Euro, with a heavy random element and very tight control of resources. I loved it at first, but I don't want to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Simpsonville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Carson City either.

Agricola isn't a favorite of mine, but I see why people like it. It feels like there is this cloud overhead and you're trying to get your player board set before it down pours. There seems to be consistent tension behind it which can be a hit or miss for the individual. It is also a fun solitaire game if only one can sit down to play.

The Manhattan Project on the other hand, I enjoy quite a bit. It is more of an engine building game. Every turn you may place a worker on the main board, and then you may place as many workers as you want on your player board creating a chain of events. This tends to to make you feel like you're really accomplishing something on a turn by turn basis. Agricola on the other hand you rarely ever have that sense of progress because you always feel like you're one step behind. TMP also includes two options to conflict with your opponent rather than being solely focused on your own board and ignoring your opponent.

I hope this helped a bit. Both are good games, but may lean to the different preferences of the gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one question:

You said you just downloaded the Stone Age app.
Do you own this game already?
If not, why not list that one?
It's and amazing game, and it feels a lot better to play in real life than on the app. The board and pieces are fantastic and makes the game even more attractive.
My GF loves it aswell, so thats a plus!

PS: I haven't played the other ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is very good. Don't know the rest though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City is great. It has the added benefit of roles with a beginner side and an advanced side. It has a 2 sided board, one beginner side and an advanced side with a river making building a tad harder. It also can be played with dice for the duels or players can use tokens instead. So there is a ton of variability in set up hence the game can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all 3.

You should definitely get Agricola.

For the other two, just pick the theme you like best. Both are good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's a Hat!
United States
flag msg tools
Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well!
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
I've played all 3.

You should definitely get Agricola.

For the other two, just pick the theme you like best. Both are good games.

Take DigitalMan's advice. He is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt...Agricola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played all three. Carson City and Manhattan Project would be the ones I like the most, but I think Agricola would work better as a two player of the three. Agricola is not a bad game. In fact, for the right person it can be great, but it feels a lot like work. Every few turns you have to feed your people and to successfully carry out the four or five actions necessary to do that while also trying to grow your family or improve your house or raise animals can be frustrating for some. I have a friend who, when talking about playing Agricola, says he wants to get paid for working so hard.

The thing is, I've never tried Carson City or The Manhattan Project with two players. I think they work great with four or five, but because of the ability to attack others they may not work as well with only two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive only played Agricola, but I don't think its particularly great with 2 people. It is really challenging solo, and I like it with 3 or 4 people (I dont think I've played 5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deeper play, variety, replayability = Agricola

Theme, player interaction = The Manhattan Project

Currently, I prefer The Manhattan Project . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sennaho wrote:
Just one question:

You said you just downloaded the Stone Age app.
Do you own this game already?
If not, why not list that one?
It's and amazing game, and it feels a lot better to play in real life than on the app. The board and pieces are fantastic and makes the game even more attractive.
My GF loves it aswell, so thats a plus!

PS: I haven't played the other ones!

Don't get me wrong I really like Agricola but since I already have it on iOS I get to play it with other people that I wouldn't have a chance to play it in person. I think I'm going to get it in the future but I'm going to pass this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you everyone for your replies they helped me a lot. I ended with The Manhattan Project & Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.