Subject: Google Chrome problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Solved!

Google Chrome remembers none of the settings I put in.

Each time I use it I get the welcome tab and getting started tab.

NOT MALWARE!!!

So I have to log in, change the settings I want and delete coupon companion and wajam every time I turn on my pc and get online.

(I solved the coupon companion and wajam problem by uninstalling them from my pc rather than using remove extensions through Google Chrome. They are gone now and don't come back even after shutting down and restarting my pc.)

Any ideas?

So far I tried creating a new browser user profile, that didn't work.

I also tried uninstalling Google Chrome and reinstalling it and that did not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
coupon companion and wajam

A quick Google search on each software should tell you how to uninstall. Are these adware/spyware? Try the free version of Malwarebytes to get rid of them permanently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
It's no problem to uninstall them.

Every time I restart the browser they come back because Chrome does not save my settings from one use to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
It's no problem to uninstall them.

Every time I restart the browser they come back because Chrome does not save my settings from one use to the next.

That's not what's happening.

They are Malware.

They let you uninstall from Chrome, then will reinstall themselves without your permission on the next start up.

You need a Malware program to remove the reinstallation procedures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Kapersky.

Full computer scan has not found problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I have Kapersky.

Never rely on just one tool. Check out Malwarebytes like I mentioned before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cookies are checked "allow data to be set".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I use Malwarebytes and Avast, and still got zapped with a similar malware bug about a month ago. I wound up having to recover my computer back to its factory settings to get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/c...

I tried this. It didn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I solved it.

Unfortunately one of the techniques I implemented to try to preserve my SSD C drive interfered with the operation of Chrome.

tickmanfan wrote:
It might be easier to just uninstall those two programs off the C: drive and reinstall them on to your regular HD, whatever the drive letter is. That's what I did and I have an SDD and HD setup like yours. Basically just create a Program Files folder on the HD and install to it. Most installers will let you change the path from C: to that drive.

Here's a quick article that will help you change the default install location, if you really want to.

This is probably awesome advice for a tech savvy guy like Rudy who knows how to solve problems, but for me I have no idea how to make Google Chrome function after following this process.

I moved the default location back to my C drive and Chrome works swimingly now.

Thanks everyone for your assistance in this matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looks like I've caused more problems then I've solved. Story of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Looks like I've caused more problems then I've solved. Story of my life.

Oh no, that's all me.

I'm monkeying around with things on my PC that are far beyond my understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I'm monkeying around with things on my PC that are far beyond my understanding.

Sometimes it's the only way to learn! I'm currently monkeying around installing Windows 8 on a spare laptop to try and figure it out.

Probably is the best way to learn.

But I don't like things going wrong. blush

-What I should probably do is make a list of everything I have changed on my PC so I can go back and troubleshoot when I have problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.