Hide
4 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Whizzard Tempo/Economy Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Finkle
msg tools
So I've been tinkering for a little while, trying to make Whizzard viable. My thoughts on how to do this were:

1) Run the fixed-strength breakers, due to their incredibly low breaking costs
2) Run The Personal Touch, Ice Carver, and Datasucker to allow these breakers to consistently be able to overcome Ice they normally could not
3) Run Cyberfeeder and potentially Spinal Modem (or even The Toolbox) as ways to generate recurring credits
4)Use Modded as a way to cheat things into play - this is especially useful with Wyldside as a way to play two cards with one action.
5) Use Whizzard to trash opposing economy cards so that they remain crippled and have a harder time rezzing things like Janus, Archer, and Tollbooth that present problems for this deck.

Now, my current setup for Influence is 3x Rabbit Hole, 3x Modded, 2x Personal Touch, 1x Aesop's Pawnshop. But apart from depleted Armitage's and Wyldside when I need my clicks, there's little to pawn, and I rarely wanted to invest the 6 credits necessary to install the Rabbit Holes except maybe against NBN. With Trace Amount coming out, the new Criminal semi-Link economy card seems like a perfect fit, but for now I want to try a different setup. I'm thinking 2x Special Order over the Rabbit Holes and Pawnshop, and potentially The Toolbox for the last point of Influence. It's friggin expensive, but it provides everything I could want (mostly the recurring credits, but the +Link and +MU help) without risking brain damage. I'd probably still run 1-2 Spinal Modems, but at least this gives me plays I can make when Modems are questionable (vs TMI or Ash where I can't break a subroutine to break the trace).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your setup seems to make sense, I've also been trying to make something out of Whizzard, and I thought that the best way to maximize whizzard's advantage was to access as much as I can, so I went the way of accessing via medium, and packing sneakdoors for a surprise burst after R&D becomes inevitably too much to run, especially since whizzard prominently doesn't hit archives in contrast with Noise. I also packed aesops to get the most out of viruses when they become useless.

And to be honest, after testing, it feels like everything I do, I was longing for Noise's ability. Every virus I drop I thought "if only I'm milling a card", and in most games I couldn't use whizzard's recurring to trash money more than 3-4 times.

The thing is that there aren't that many good targets for whizzard right now, and playing whizzard puts your advantage in the opponent's court, cos if an opponent doesn't rely on trashable cards, you've got not more advantage.

Looking forward to more stuff to trash, the new spate of big and cool regions and upgrades seem to make whizzard better, but I wonder, cos I don't see much worthy addition to whizzard's own mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Corp decks based around large amounts of trashable cards will ever be popular knowing that Whizzard is out there? Ironically, by publishing him at this point then the kind of deck he's good against might not actually appear for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
The Sacred Voice wrote:
I wonder if Corp decks based around large amounts of trashable cards will ever be popular knowing that Whizzard is out there? Ironically, by publishing him at this point then the kind of deck he's good against might not actually appear for a long time.

It doesn't need to be a "large" amount of trashable cards. Melange Mining Corporation, PAD Campaign, Adonis Campaign, SanSan City Grid, and ASH are all currently popular cards, and every Corporation deck is likely to be running at least one of these.

My current list looks something like this:

Whizzard

Software:
3 Mimic
3 Yog.0
2 Morning Star
1 Crypsis
3 Datasucker
2 Imp

Hardware
3 Cyberfeeder
2 Spinal Modem
1 The Toolbox
2 The Personal Touch
2 Plastacrete Carapace

Resources
3 Armitage Codebusting
2 Ice Carver
3 Wyldside

Events
3 Modded
3 Sure Gamble
2 Special Order
3 Infiltration
2 Deja Vu

I've considered using a Djinn Package, maybe with Medium(s) and/or Parasites, but they seem too durdly outside of a Noise deck. Crypsis exists as a one-of Special Order target.
Definitely open for suggestions, and Trace Amount will definitely affect this significantly (likely -1 Modded, -2 Deja Vu, -1 Toolbox, -2 Infiltration, +3 Compromised Employee, +3 Liberated Account)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.