5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beginner question on monster surge and limit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luc Pok
msg tools
Hi all,

This question has probably already been answered but I didn't found it on the forum.

On the rules' page 9 (regarding monster surge) the following is written

If there are more monsters to be placed than allowed by the monster limit (see “Monster Limits and the Outskirts,” page 18), the players should decide where monsters will be placed.

That just sounds really strange to me. What I got from the other part of rules (especially the “Monster Limits and the Outskirts,”) is that when there is a monster limit that is reached you should place monsters (that exceed the limit) in the Outskirts, so players doesn't decide where monster are placed as they are placed in the Outskirts...

Does anybody understood what this is supposed to mean ?

Thanks,

Luc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me illustrate with an example.

If you need to put out 4 monsters, but there is only room for three, then one goes to the outskirts. What about the other three? At which gates to they get placed? That is what the players decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the three surge examples; and how they pertain to placement and the outskirts.

Its possible to have a surge without capping out the monster limit. In that case, place the monsters at the gates of your choice; beginning with the gates that don't have monsters on them (ie placing them evenly).

In the event the surge causes you to reach the monster limit, place the monsters on the gate like the above example until you reach the monster limit. Then place the remaining in the outskirts. If this causes you to max out the outskirts handle as described in the rules.

If the monster limit is already reached during a monster surge, place all the monsters in the outskirts. Then apply outskirt max rules.

This should handle the scenarios you face during the game. Don't get too bogged down with the rules your first few plays (though it is necessary to play them correctly to keep balance). Primary importance is to enjoy the adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key thing is that you should be blind-drawing Monsters and placing them on pre-identified Gates. The idea is to prevent you from selecting favourable placements of the Monsters based on what they are and what is already out.

So as an example for three Gates open and five players: indicate the sequence of Gates onto which you'll place the Monsters (starting with the Surging Gate), then draw and place the Monsters - respecting the Monster and Outskirts Limits as you do so. E.g. You choose the sequence Surging Gate, Gate A, Gate B, Surging Gate, Gate B. You then draw Monsters one at a time, placing them on the Gates in the sequence indicated. The sequence isn't important so long as no Gate gets more than the Surging Gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Pok
msg tools
Thanks guys! That's what I was actually thinking but not really sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.