United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously.

Worked 7 years in the IT industry in NE Ohio...was out of work once, and that at my choice (long time back - impetous 19-year-old reaction to being overworked and shorted promised bonuses).

Worked TWO years in the IT industry in Central Oregon, and I've been laid off TWICE now.

AAAARRRRGGH!

Well, for those who look for signs, that, as they say, is THAT. So...given that I could pretty much pick at random any other spot in the county to move...

...how about a place with a lot of gamers?

Maybe...a solid group of Euro-game players? AND a group of wargamers? And, heck, while I'm at it, the occasional RPG group??

What would be the best spot to move to find a large, healthy, stable gaming population? (Oh, and with IT jobs)

(Oh, and, FWIW, I'm also selling a bunch of stuff on eBay due to this recent change. Some games, some non-game stuff. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
United States
Greenbelt
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Laid off...AGAIN. Where can I move that has LOTS of gam
Maryland. DC/Baltimore area has a ton of IT jobs, especially if you're willing to work for the gummint. And a ton of gamers, wargaming and otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt Lake City... Lots of IT stuff and a booming economy right now. I am very happy here, even though im from the midwest. Good gaming community; you can find games basically every day of the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three places that come to mind are:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=search&sea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've loads of gamers down here in Los Angeles and tons of IT jobs (they call it the "Tech Coast" now, lol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XanderF wrote:
...how about a place with a lot of gamers?

I live in San Jose and play four times a week with public gaming groups (Mondays, Weds, and Thurs evenings plus Thurs lunch at work), plus a 6-hour gamesday every month, plus another full-day gamesday (09:00-24:00) roughly every 6 weeks. I also game ocassionally with various local private groups. With a little effort I could add Friday and Sunday evenings to the mix plus another monthly gamesday. But, I'm lazy and figure I game quite enough as it is already without having to add more.

Not sure if this meets your definition of "a lot", but it is enough for me. As for styles of games played, I concentrate almost exclusively on the heavier end of Designer Games, but everything from Diplomacy to Tichu, Hammer of the Scotts, Age of Steam, Bridge, Runebound, 18XX, Europe Engulfed, Hoity Toity and a wide host of other things hit the tables at the various groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Bailey
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Live the dream and start your OWN game group!

Be the talk of BGG! Everyone wants to play!

And for the record... if you hear of any nice Mechanical Engineering jobs, don't hesitate to message good ol' Ebonwoulfe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:
We've loads of gamers down here in Los Angeles and tons of IT jobs (they call it the "Tech Coast" now, lol).

Hmmm...I think I'll need to add a caveat.

"...area with lots of gamers, IT jobs, and housing that human beings can actually afford!"

I think that excludes California entirely, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich people aren't human? I know the Bible calls them 'camels' but that is just illustrating their Through the Desert skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Hmmm...I think I'll need to add a caveat.

"...area with lots of gamers, IT jobs, and housing that human beings can actually afford!"

I think that excludes California entirely, right?

I was going to second the vote for the Washington DC area, but that might also cut us out. The housing market's slowing down a lot, though, so housing may start becoming more affordable, and the rental market's not that bad -- it's when you want to buy that you need to start selling internal organs.

Still, though, big $$$ and stability to be had with IT jobs, and so many gaming groups that people send out monthly lists of public events held by different entities. Those lists are pretty long and don't even include all the "Hey, I'm having a bunch of people over to my house on Friday evening" game fests, of which there are roughly one billion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lee
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dallas area (TX) Lots of game groups and very affordable housing.

Not sure what the market is for IT jobs these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
As people have said, the DC/Baltimore area has a lot of gamers, and a lot of IT. But it is not a cheap place to live. If you get up to the suburbs of baltimore it isn't as bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DON'T COME BACK TO NE OHIO. Ain't no jobs here.

I live here, but I work for a company in Alexandria, VA. AlexBrown is right, there are jobs down there, but it's very expensive to live there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo what a bunch of other people have said. There's oodles of jobs down in the Washington/Northern VA/Maryland area, except that it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to live there.

To give some perspective, a buddy of mine was living down in Reston a few years ago and was paying $1000 a month to live in a one bedroom place that was in a Ghetto-Lite area. When I visited him his place didn't seem too bad (definitely not worth 1000 a month, though), but later he had said somebody had gotten robbed and/or murdered (I don't rememeber if it was both or not) back in the woods behind his place, which signaled to him it was time to leave.

As someone else noted, if you live far enough away from the main city areas, it'll be a bit less expensive, it's just then you have to be prepared for the > 1 hour commute in horrible, horrible, horrible rush hour traffic.

The upside, I suppose, is that since there's a bajillion people down there, there's going to be way more gamers per square mile than perhaps in other places. Plus they have a really sweet game store near Woodbridge called Game Parlor, which really rocks the hiz-ouse.

But, yeah... having said all that, you should live in Pittsburgh. It's awesome here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, simply, Dallas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Worked 7 years in the IT industry in NE Ohio

Come back to NE Ohio. In fact, I have a house (or two) I can sell or rent to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portland has tons of gamers and a local game convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GameNight Coordinator
United States
Waukee
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Des Moines, IA

Affordable housing.

Several different gaming groups. And Iowa City gamers also participate.

Not Silicon Valley level of IT (but see housing above) but The Principal and Wells Fargo have a need for armies of IT people. Do you have any FileNet P8 Business Process Management (BPM) tool suite experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Kuipers
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexBrown wrote:
Maryland. DC/Baltimore area has a ton of IT jobs, especially if you're willing to work for the gummint. And a ton of gamers, wargaming and otherwise.

What Alex said. If you have some decent skill and experience, you can find a job in a week or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommunityGameNight wrote:
Des Moines, IA

Affordable housing.

Several different gaming groups. And Iowa City gamers also participate.

Not Silicon Valley level of IT (but see housing above) but The Principal and Wells Fargo have a need for armies of IT people. Do you have any FileNet P8 Business Process Management (BPM) tool suite experience?

Iowa City is great. If you have to live in the mid-west, Des Moines and even more so Iowa City are great places to live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
What Alex said. If you have some decent skill and experience, you can find a job in a week or two.

Maybe next month. Unfortunately at the moment the federal government is dealing with a continuing resolution on the budget, and probably isn't hiring at all. That said there are a lot of other things around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jones
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maryland. Games Club of Maryland has two dozen game sessions every week all through the state. And it's a small state so you can easily travel to many sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on where your coming from. We moved to Denver from Southern California and were stoked at the real estate prices. If you're coming to Denver from just about anywhere else you might experience a bit of sticker shock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wherever you go don't forget to check out the gamer density by zip code with the gamer finder: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/gamerfinder.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a medium sized city but with a good group of gamers, a decent selection of IT jobs (Dell, IBM, AMD, Freescale and lots of smaller companies) and good weather, check out Austin. We live on the north side of Austin and there are plenty of gaming opportunities and a couple pretty good FLGS.

Great Halls Games (http://www.greathallgames.com) is a pure game store with in store gaming almost daily.
Dragon's Lair (http://www.dlair.net) has two Austin locations and is a comics and game store with in store gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.