Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tally has gone up and then gone down again several times since the project began.

Is there some problem with Kickstarter itself or are there that many potential buyers that unsure of their support? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
I think perhaps people are waiting for the Kingdom Death: Monster campaign to come to an end, and looking to get as much as possible there. Something similar happened with the DreadBall campaign when Relic Knights was closing in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeesh. At nearly 1.5 million currently, how much more is there to get? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Well, personally I can get a bit "ooooh, maaaaybe I can afford this this and this too" in the final hours of sales and such, I imagine others feeling the same now. But hey, they have 15 hours left, Hegemonic's got 28 days. We'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a backer of Kingdom Death but when I realized the end cost to get all the new, bonus, extra, new designs, various minis plus the base game I'd probably be up around/well over $500...I just couldn't do it and then I stumbled upon this which looks pretty sweet. It may just require convincing with the Eclipse addiction everyone in my group has, but I figured my buddy owns that maybe I could own this so whoever's house we're at there's different options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Yeah, the KD:M types of campaigns have a way of making wallets empty, I've noticed. Hegemonic looked more like a game I would actually play and enjoy, whereas KD:M had some cool minis.

As far as Eclipse go, I see them quite differently. What appeals to me with Hegemonic is the political/industrial aspect of the game, which seem to take a lot more place than in Eclipse. The three different ways of getting points and power is intriguing. Don't get me wrong, Eclipse may be my favorite game, but I don't think they really have to compete for play time for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"But hey, they have 15 hours left, Hegemonic's got 28 days. We'll be fine.

While I'd definitely like to meet all the Stretch Goals, I really want a professional copy this game and that's taken care of (unless the backslidin' morphs into an epidemic, that is...cool

"It may just require convincing with the Eclipse addiction everyone in my group has, but I figured my buddy owns that maybe I could own this so whoever's house we're at there's different options."

"As far as Eclipse go, I see them quite differently. What appeals to me with Hegemonic is the political/industrial aspect of the game, which seem to take a lot more place than in Eclipse. The three different ways of getting points and power is intriguing. Don't get me wrong, Eclipse may be my favorite game, but I don't think they really have to compete for play time for me."

I've been concerned for a while now on this score. I've seen this happen in other areas of wargaming (American Civil War-especially at the brigade scale, and to a lesser extent WW II tactical gaming in general) and hoped Eclipse wouldn't have the same effect here.

I suspect, but could certainly be wrong, that the relatively slow start for Hegemonic has something to do with Eclipse (and to a lesser but still significant degree, Space Empires 4X) 'sucking the oxygen out of the room'.

I've done what Eclipse offers in pretty much the same fashion in most other sci fi 4X games I've played (note the qualifiers folks; I'm well aware Eclipse offers up some blingy mechanics but when you get right down to it, the only mechanic that's truly earth-shaking is present in Oliver's design also).

In Hegemonic the scale's the thing. I don't want to have to concern myself with designing ship classes anymore and fighting tactical battles out for a strategic game, no matter how quickly this can be done. I don't want to build and nursemaid colony ships. I don't even want to allocate population, if I can get away with it. (I know: HERETIC!!! laugh At Hegemonic's scale, I don't have to...I can almost totally focus on what really matters: my strategy and how I want/need to implement it.

And Peder's hit on another very appealing aspect of Hegemonic: the fact that not only will you manage conflict directly with your Military (Martial) but you will also with your Economy (Industrial) and Government (Political). I know of no other design which has this; certainly not in such an elegant package and not for the relatively small time investment required.

Sorry for the rant; I don't want to come off as a fanboi (too much....

I imagine Hegemonic and Eclipse can coexist in a given collection but Hegemonic is too deserving to be relegated to mere cult/second class status no matter how 'good' the competition or that they got off the mark first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
In other news, Hegemonic has broken into the "Hotness" list. That should boost pledges, I should think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Wootton
United Kingdom
Clevedon
North Somerset
flag msg tools
Eclipse is a firm favorite with my group (currently THE favorite!) as has been pointed out above though I think Hegemonic has a very different feel and strategy which makes me think it'll be well worth while to own both.
I'm hoping the buzz picks up on it because I'd really like to see the $80,000 stretch goal reached (if not 90!) however - I feel there is a distinct possibility I'll cave at the $45k goal and pledge anyway.

I really want the game just not sure whether to Kickstart or not yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me encourage you to do your bit - pledge now, and make the 80K goal that little bit more likely. I'd like to see the 100K myself, but I think that's pretty optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.