Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As a fairly new player I've had unusual experiences with this game and I'm wondering if other people are as inept a doctor as I am. Admittedly, early games involved mistakes with the rules but I've decided to keep the story canon for my doc.

My first game involved me getting chased around a spooky monster until I rack up the DM before the final turn where I miss my "Defeat the enemy" check. For my final encounter I end up rolling a location which lead to a event which lead back to the enemy where I defeat him and save the day...

I set a course for a holiday and miss that roll terribly only to find myself arrested on my first turn. I break out of prison and rescue another guy... who turns out to be the villain planning to take a bunch of innocent people hostage. At a local party for the rich and important, I meet an escaped convict and a teenage girl (Clearly a thief from her build)... and they agree to help me.

But IMMEDIATELY the girl is arrested and I have to break her out of prison.... but in the end we rescued the hostages and I took both allies as companions.

The third mission made me look like I knew what I was doing.. but the fourth... good god. The teenage girl and I end up on Sanctuary where I proceed to promptly get myself possessed by an old relic and apparently throw the girl off a cliff. She grabs on and is rescued by this nice priest...

Oh wait... that was a cultist who wanted to sacrifice her! She escapes and meets up with a runaway child and together they get caught in a landslide which they, by sheer luck, survive. Together, the kids rack up DM to meet up with my doc who was possessed by evil incarnate!

Again... sheer luck... Doc keeps rolling ones while the kids roll 5 and 6 until my *** was down.

Technically, I think that means they "Killed" me... but after all that crap I think he's earned a little rule fudging.

Although, I guess I could just let the doc die because clearly that girl is the hero of my story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that's a typical classic Doctor Who arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes dice can be cruel... whistle

If you post a more detailed session I can tell you if you're amking any mistakes with the gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Oh I'm making plenty of mistakes. Each game I stumble on another rule I've been playing wrong or would have helped me win.

It wasn't until AFTER I was rescued that I realized "I could have just spent a luck and re-roll that 12"

I think i'm getting the hang of things though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does highlight how little of what we read we actually take in.

Four years on and I'm still picking up on little rules nuances I have either missed or been refined over the years.

Only just swapping over to the revised wounds system.

EDITS for mad speeeling and grandma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.