Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: I LOVE Arkham Horror, how much would I like this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a new co-op game, I also love Pandemic. I tried Flash Point once (wasn't that memorable as I recalled) and wanted to try the Lord of the Rings co-op card game but sadly I won't be able to get a copy of it for a long while. I didn't quite like Space Alert much. My brother and I really love to play Arkham Horror (defeating most of the hard bosses already). But it's such a time drain (4 hours long). I would just like to know if I would like this co-op game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy Pandemic I think that Defenders of the Realm would be a good fit for you. It has the same core mechanic as Pandemic (draw a new card each turn and add monsters to the depicted location, there is overspill etc) with a few added quirks like quests, boss monsters and additional ways to lose the game.

I can't compare it to Arkham Horror since I've not properly played that one yet, but I can say that Defenders is tried with Pandemic as my favourite cooperative game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really completely different than AH - as mentioned, it's much more akin to Pandemic. There's much less narrative and interaction from an encounter point of view, and the goals and strategy don't change the way they can in AH when you have a different GOO.

That said, it is certainly faster than AH, and much easier to learn and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to believe that you would love it. It's worth noting that it is by the same designer; in many respects it has similar but more streamlined mechanics than AH. The locations don't have as much flavor and the theme is more generic, but, importantly, the overall theme as an experienced narrative is very strong. The heroes all feel like individual heroes as their special abilities on the board make them act in a thematically consistent manner. There might not be as much location interaction as in AH (as much as can come from card text anyway) but I find there is more player interaction in DotR than in my AH games. The heroes have to coordinate their actions more in managing the board and in the four boss battles. In these battles are nice opportunities to team up, something that doesn't happen in AH until the Final Battle.

If you already love Pandemic I think this is a no-brainer. I liked Pandemic but personally thought it too be too much of a solitaire puzzle for me; I really needed the theme and - I'll admit it - the dice of DotR. If you're feeling like you're defending the capital city against marauding monsters, it just feels right to have those long shot, hold your breath moments along the way. Strongly recommended for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliz Brown
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You sound like you have similar game tastes to me. I like this game a lot... I think it is a little more complex than Pandemic (e.g. each color minion has a different kill rate.) With that said - this game feels simple (nowhere near as complex as Arkham Horror), which in your case may be perfect as this makes it much shorter to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
I have to believe that you would love it. It's worth noting that it is by the same designer; in many respects it has similar but more streamlined mechanics than AH. The locations don't have as much flavor and the theme is more generic, but, importantly, the overall theme as an experienced narrative is very strong. The heroes all feel like individual heroes as their special abilities on the board make them act in a thematically consistent manner. There might not be as much location interaction as in AH (as much as can come from card text anyway) but I find there is more player interaction in DotR than in my AH games. The heroes have to coordinate their actions more in managing the board and in the four boss battles. In these battles are nice opportunities to team up, something that doesn't happen in AH until the Final Battle.

If you already love Pandemic I think this is a no-brainer. I liked Pandemic but personally thought it too be too much of a solitaire puzzle for me; I really needed the theme and - I'll admit it - the dice of DotR. If you're feeling like you're defending the capital city against marauding monsters, it just feels right to have those long shot, hold your breath moments along the way. Strongly recommended for you.

If you love AH and enjoy Pandemic, stop whatever you are doing and buy DotR RIGHT NOW! (and get rid of Pandemic)

DotR is Pandemic, re-imagined and expanded upon, by Richard Launius and Larry Elmore of AH fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.