8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Oblasta!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marathon man
msg tools
Hello all.

A few months ago I was reading a giant article about randomness in games. In the article they discussed how the most ancient games were racing games using binary lots to determine how many spaces the pawns would move. Of course those sort of games wouldn't be very intresting to us now, but I thought "hey maybe I could design a good game that centers around binary lot throwing" and so Oblasta was born.

Oblasta is an abstract strategy game centered around binary lots throwing (however the goodness of it is in question). It is simple and fast playing, yet I belive it has some intresting depth.

In Oblasta 2 players battle over a 4x4 section of the game board using binary lot throws to influence the board. But they must also use the same pieces as units on the board, so they are forced to try and stike a balance between pieces being tossed and being used on the board. The winning conditions of the game are the first player to eliminate all his oppents offensive units on the contested area of the board wins. Or the first player to secure one of his offensive units on the contested area of the board using a perfect defensive position wins.

I kinda like the game and so I thought I would try and get some feedback from you guys. So if you're intrested in playtesting Oblasta just shoot me an email at schwakiller9@aol.com and I will send you the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gesundheit!

Hehe

Still, I have no idea what a binary lot throw is. Is that like a coin toss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marathon man
msg tools
Pretty much, except you dont flip all the pieces one at a time. Instead you throw all the pieces at once into a box or something. So yea like a coin toss, but faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sqig wrote:
Pretty much, except you dont flip all the pieces one at a time. Instead you throw all the pieces at once into a box or something. So yea like a coin toss, but faster.

I feel like I played an Egyptian-themed game using this concept a few years ago. There were four or five wooden blocks with a painted side and an unpainted side. You would toss them and count the number of painted sides that were face-up to determine how many spaces you would move across the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marathon man
msg tools
Sounds kinda like it, but in Oblasta you can use both sides of the piece for different actions, and the pieces on the board have two states. When you roll a positive, you can use it to move a positive on the board one space or you can place it on the board. When you roll a negative you can use it to flip a positive on the board to a negative, or to remove a negative from the board so you can roll it again. The positive pieces on the board can move, capture, and be capture, while the negatives on the board can not move, capture, or be captured.

You should try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marathon man
msg tools
Also it would be great if you guys could help me figure out a theme for Oblasta. I think it would help generate some more intrest and make it easier to teach.

I had an idea in which the 2 players were fighting with energy. The pieces would be called quarks. The pieces on the board would be kinetic and the pieces in the players hands would be potential. The positives on the board would be said to apply force outward, and the negative inward. The thing I liked best about this theme was that the cool little half marbles I was using for pieces fit it perfectly.

However, this theme, to me, seems a little weak, and I think it just removes from the purity of the game. But it would be great if you guys could help me come up with a good solid theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sqig wrote:
Also it would be great if you guys could help me figure out a theme for Oblasta. I think it would help generate some more intrest and make it easier to teach.

I had an idea in which the 2 players were fighting with energy. The pieces would be called quarks. The pieces on the board would be kinetic and the pieces in the players hands would be potential. The positives on the board would be said to apply force outward, and the negative inward. The thing I liked best about this theme was that the cool little half marbles I was using for pieces fit it perfectly.

However, this theme, to me, seems a little weak, and I think it just removes from the purity of the game. But it would be great if you guys could help me come up with a good solid theme.

We'd probably love to brainstorm ... but all we know about Oblasta is this:

sqig wrote:
Hello all.

A few months ago I was reading a giant article about randomness in games. In the article they discussed how the most ancient games were racing games using binary lots to determine how many spaces the pawns would move. Of course those sort of games wouldn't be very intresting to us now, but I thought "hey maybe I could design a good game that centers around binary lot throwing" and so Oblasta was born.

Oblasta is an abstract strategy game centered around binary lots throwing (however the goodness of it is in question). It is simple and fast playing, yet I belive it has some intresting depth.

In Oblasta 2 players battle over a 4x4 section of the game board using binary lot throws to influence the board. But they must also use the same pieces as units on the board, so they are forced to try and stike a balance between pieces being tossed and being used on the board. The winning conditions of the game are the first player to eliminate all his oppents offensive units on the contested area of the board wins. Or the first player to secure one of his offensive units on the contested area of the board using a perfect defensive position wins.

I kinda like the game and so I thought I would try and get some feedback from you guys. So if you're intrested in playtesting Oblasta just shoot me an email at schwakiller9@aol.com and I will send you the files.

What we know:
-- Involves "binary lots throwing" ... aka, a lot of coin tosses
-- there's a 4x4 game board
-- there are units on the board
-- the units may also be tossed instead of being on the board
-- there's player elimination involved

I need a picture ... and a better set of written rules. Then we can brainstorm and help refine those rules.

So far, the best picture I have in my head is 2 players each with 8 coins; and they choose how many coins to toss and how many coins to keep on the board. And then they move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marathon man
msg tools
Alright, I understand. But I can't post the rules here at the moment because the only thing I have to work with is a crappy browser on a crappy phone. However, I uploaded the files to my email a couple of weeks ago. So if you want to see the rulebook, just email me and I will send it to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.