Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Plural forms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
I've seen in a recent post the plural form 'Medusae', which is right in the original language.

I've also seen 'Wendigoes'. Since this is IIRC a Native American word, this plural form seems a bit strange. Your opinion ?

And I've been told (in AD&D) that the plural form of Naga is Nagi (possibly from Samskrit), but nobody uses it.

What's the general tendency in fantasy games ? Sticking to the original plural form when it is known and easy to say would have my preference. Of course, when the word is integrated in one's language (like Giant, Demon, Shade) there is no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group takes the easy way out and adds a 's' behind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:
My group takes the easy way out and adds a 's' behind

Ahh, but Singaporeans (I guess like me you are not) do that for everything anyway - be it sheeps, fruits oranything else. So this only counts if the rest of the group is not singaporean either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the old rule of fantasy pronunciation probably applies here, which was basically however you say that fantasy word is totally acceptable. I personally can't imagine even the strictest grammar police getting upset for making a plural on a fantasy word as long as it makes sense. Wendigoes/Wendigos, Medusas/Medusae, Elfs/Elves... it all means minions to me. That said, as a native english speaker, I tend to use the proper plural forms but because of the aforementioned fantasy rule and on online forums I often get lazy and just use something like elfs instead of elves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
I've seen in a recent post the plural form 'Medusae', which is right in the original language.

I've also seen 'Wendigoes'. Since this is IIRC a Native American word, this plural form seems a bit strange. Your opinion ?

And I've been told (in AD&D) that the plural form of Naga is Nagi (possibly from Samskrit), but nobody uses it.

What's the general tendency in fantasy games ? Sticking to the original plural form when it is known and easy to say would have my preference. Of course, when the word is integrated in one's language (like Giant, Demon, Shade) there is no problem.

Damnit, this is English.. there are no rules. Make it up as you go along.
If English language depended on rules, it would have never have come about it the first place. As long as the meaning is understood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.