BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Seeking Software rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for software that works with Linux, and is easy to learn & use. I want to have 3 dimensional line drawings of ships for a science fiction game. I would like something that would be consistent when the ships are viewed from different angles, but only showing the lines for the facing sides, not the lines on the non-facing portion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've not already done so, googling for "linux 3d modeling software" links to various comparison articles, reviews, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blender 3D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longer answer: Blender 3D will do what you want, and a billion other things. The trick is to learn what you need without being overwhelmed by all other features in the application. There are many tutorials, and many good articles on how to achieve specific effects, but you probably need to spend a weeknight or two learning the basics before you can use it for anything.

You can probably install it directly on your Linux computer using apt-get or yum or whatever the package manager on your favorite distribution is called. Latest version and more info is here:
http://www.blender.org/

Quickstart introduction:
http://www.blender.org/education-help/quickstart/

I was curious and did a quick search on how to render things like solid wireframes the way you describe and found this video plus instructions. Looks like the important thing is just to find and enable the Wire button in the render settings:
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/video/render-wireframe.php

Good thing is that Blender has so many users there are tutorials on everything. Only problem is that some tutorials are for old versions and might require some tweaking to work on the latest version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Google has had SketchUp. Guess they sold it last year. The basic program is free. A comic I read online, Spacetrawler, uses it for different backgrounds, ships and interiors of ships. He uses them as reference. You can check the post where he has an example here.

Not as robust as Blender, but also does 3D rendering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.