Subject: Hydrans and developments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Hydran Progress use their couble research action to take two developments, and if so can they do them in any order or are the two actions considered simultaneous? Can the progress develop a mining colony and then use those minerals to develop a shell world on the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do 2 research when they pick a research action. If they buy a tech they will get an increased discount (potentially) on the second tech they buy. Thus they could use newly gained resources on a second development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse Rules wrote:
With the Research action may buy two Technologies.

Hydrans can buy two Technologies or one Development with a Research action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur. Based on the fact that Development Tiles are essentially alternative Research options with no significantly different rule set, the Hydran should indeed be able to acquire two developments in a turn, gaining the benefits of the first before the acquisition of the second, just as if they were technologies.

I could see this being over-ruled as an oversight in the official rules, but it does make some thematic sense. The Hydran are all about, well...progress. Developments represent infrastructural improvements and other societal advancements, and are therefore consistent with the Hydran concept.

Just my two bits. But barring an official ruling on the matter, 2 Developments in a turn seems just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
Eclipse Rules wrote:

I feel like I remember this being the answer during playtesting, but I may be wrong....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I certainly agree that this should be addressed in the FAQ. This is the second time this question has been asked here, and I also thought they could do it originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably should link this over to the other thread as well, but that definitely not what the rules say.

"You may buy a Development Tile with the Research Action, instead of a Technology Tile."

Hydran rules : "With the Research action may buy two Technologies."

There is nothing in the FAQ or anywhere else about the Hydran only being able to take 1. (Not that I am doubting Petri's intent of the rules, but it doesn't say that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
Well, I certainly agree that this should be addressed in the FAQ. This is the second time this question has been asked here, and I also thought they could do it originally.

My apologies. I did search for it, but I missed that thread. I think it is telling that both times the answers have been mixed.

For the record when we played we decided they should be able to do it twice, but that seemed VERY powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just posted this question in the FAQ thread. Let's see if we get an answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djc6535 wrote:
Hannibal Rex wrote:

My apologies. I did search for it, but I missed that thread. I think it is telling that both times the answers have been mixed.

For the record when we played we decided they should be able to do it twice, but that seemed VERY powerful.

I think that for game balance it is probably better if an extra stipulation was put on Developments as 1 per action (although this would allow Hydran to research and develop in a single action). Or even better make it very clear.

"Instead of taking any technology during a research action a player may acquire 1 Development."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:

"Instead of taking any technology during a research action a player may acquire 1 Development."

This seems like the best way to go.

Either argument is valid, but this does seem to be the most balanced and practical outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true, rules seem to be a bit unclear about this. I always thought that the rules are written from Terran point of view and the Hydran special rules talk nothing about Development tiles. In a playtesting game with Touko or Sampo I believe we ruled it that Hydrans need to use the whole action to purchase a development tile, but let's wait for the official answer in FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Hannibal Rex wrote:
Eclipse Rules wrote:

I feel like I remember this being the answer during playtesting, but I may be wrong....

I looked and it wasn't in the rules or in my notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I also don't recall there being any limitation during the playtest.

I don't really see that the Hydrans need to be prevented from buying two developments. I saw a Hydran abuse this during the playtest to get 2 of the +resource developments on turn 2, but those developments have been toned down quite a bit since then.

Maybe if I see a Hydran do this a few times, I'll change my mind, but right now I don't see how it's any different than a Hydran who is first to go making off with the two most desirable techs that just dropped, while the rest of the table groans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of have to agree. Considering that ANY race can substitute a tech research for a development, and essentially the only real advantage that Hydran have over other races is the means and ability to research twice; it would seem like a disadvantage to them to have to give up a research action just because they want a development.

Unless of course the official ruling is made that they can only gain 1 development per turn, but may also gain a research as well. Anything less than that would seem like a double-standard against them to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was officially ruled that they can take two developments. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10979829#10979829
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.