Eric Whitt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a very hard variant to understand. I am curious to know if anyone has played either of these ways. Seems like a pretty simple way to increase the game speed, almost like playing Blitz style in Magic the Gathering. So now you can move onto that Monestary, spend 3 cards to hire your red cape monks, and then turn around and burn it down spending another few cards. Leading to less turns and speeding up the game.

You would have to compensate for the dummy deck somehow or it would almost make the dummy hand useless. Maybe for each action you take, you draw two extra card. Meaning on your 5th card you would reveal for the crystal match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly you aren't going to have enough cards to do more than one action per turn, anyway. Being able to move after your action would be a significant gain in flexibility, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Whitt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played one game where I was consistently getting 10 card hands to start my game at the end. I had taken over 3 forts and one of which was between a couple of cities. So it would have been pretty easy for me to do a couple of different actions, although two small actions probably still doesn't make up for one large action. Like killing two orcs isn't as good as invading one city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isobar wrote:
although two small actions probably still doesn't make up for one large action. Like killing two orcs isn't as good as invading one city.

This. Plus, if you're playing solo, and you're playing 10 cards every turn, then you're going to finish before the dummy player anyway, so what have you gained over taking more turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Whitt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
isobar wrote:
although two small actions probably still doesn't make up for one large action. Like killing two orcs isn't as good as invading one city.

This. Plus, if you're playing solo, and you're playing 10 cards every turn, then you're going to finish before the dummy player anyway, so what have you gained over taking more turns?

More bonus points at the end I suppose? Haha I think this would only really work in a competition game where you're trying to burn your opponent with a bunch of cards. Then I guess you can add strategy to the mix by deciding "I can spend 10 cards to take out these two orcs and only gain 8 fame and 2 reputation, but I can declare end of round early." or "I can spend these cards to kill this orc and the capture the fort next turn, meaning my opponent gets an extra turn, but I get 12 fame and a fort to draw an extra card from."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played enough to know for sure, but my first thought is that this might benefit the player who already has the advantage of drawing more cards than the other players too much and let him leverage his advantage to a run-away victory too easily.

As others have mentioned...you usually won't have enough cards in hand to do this, but if you happen to have the ability to draw enough cards that you can do this then you are probably already getting a head of the other players, and this variant could end up widening that gap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting aside the question of taking two actions per turn... is there some compelling reason why being able to take an action and move afterward throws off the balance of the game?

It doesn't seem thematically far-fetched at all. And, as noted, it adds some more tactical depth. So why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
Putting aside the question of taking two actions per turn... is there some compelling reason why being able to take an action and move afterward throws off the balance of the game?

It doesn't seem thematically far-fetched at all. And, as noted, it adds some more tactical depth. So why not?

IMHO it REMOVES tactical depth. Currently there is a hard and interesting decision between staying to re-use a site, for lesser reward, or moving on. This change lets players do both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Something you'd have to decide is whether it's ok for a player to enter an adventure site, village, etc. that another player is positioned on as technically it wouldn't be considered an attack on that player as your movement hasn't necessarily ended that turn. (see p6 Movement 8b). Advanced Actions that let you do this have been discussed but it's a tricky thing to get the rules right for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:

You could interact in a location twice "in a row" (after moving last turn, before moving this turn) without having to spend a turn stationary. I think this would make every-turn Influence boosts (from skills or reputation) more valuable, since they tend to go unused on a lot of turns.

Would that be bad/unbalancing? I have no idea. I've been surprised at how weak Influence seems to be, but I'm still getting into the game (and haven't played as Norowas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.