Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote up a whole story but it got lost in my company filter, so I'll just post the questions from it.

1. Does the Reporter start with a curse? Read somewhere he did, but couldn't find it on his sheet.

2. Act in Yellow. Does anyone play with these? When the 3rd card comes up you play you lose? Variant thought: 1. everyone is crazy lose all allies, 2. Curse the land, lose all blessings. 3. Awake the AO. Just a thought.

3. Martial artist: The healing thing was weird. So say I have 5 stamina as my max. Lose a point, so I'm at 4. Raise my max to 6. So I heal 1 and get one? So am I at 5 or 6? If I move the slider up and down can I heal 1 stamina and 1 sanity like that?? She ended up being the chosen, and then maxed sanity so had like 8 sanity in the final battle. Insane.

4. Ended up with 2 elder signs and did this with both of them. Not sure its legal, but from the rules this seem to be correct.
P1, moves out of the outer world onto the Arkham location with a gate.
P2 then moves into the location normally with the gate and gives P1 the elder sign.
P1 then uses the elder sign to close the gate.
P2 then does a normal encounter at the location.
Is this legal?

5. Can a location sealed with an elder gate burst?? It did, we let it, its seemed wrong.

6. At end of the game, the 6th gate would have brought 2 monsters that would have upped the terror level? But we played it as soon as the 6th gate was laid, that was it, game over here comes the AO so the terror level did not go up. It was the King in Yellow, so teror level was his combat mod. Thus -4 and not -5.

7. We played with the lurker and NO one took anything from him. We used his -1 to close a gate, but that was it. Does anyone ever take anything from him? After about 6 of the cards, we forgot to draw them, they didn't seem to do anything if no oen takes the pacts or allies. This is all voluntary right? Did we play this wrong?

8. In the final combat with the AO we were distributing spells and weapons to best fight him. And the librarian grabbed up this spell that costs only 1 to cast, no hands and gives everyone in the same area +2 to all their combat checks. Nothing said you couldn't use it in the big battle, and I have to assume if we are trading stuff we are in the same area?? That ended up being huge. 5 rounds combat, failed only 1 time. So 4 x 12 = 48 extra dice being rolled.

9. The Librarian went up rift closing at 1 point in the game, and kept being handed handfuls of clues from her encounters. When she went to close gates, she was delayed, and never got into a gate before the game ended. She had 16 clues!!! She had the fight +1 skill. So on round 1 vs Hashut, she decided to spend all 16 clues for 32 extra rolls!! Is that legal?? With her 7 or so other dice she end up doing 13 total hits to the big guy.

Anyway, we ended up having a great time and the first time I defeated an AO in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BenTheRat wrote:
I wrote up a whole story but it got lost in my company filter, so I'll just post the questions from it.

1. Does the Reporter start with a curse? Read somewhere he did, but couldn't find it on his sheet.

Rex Murphy? Yes, it is one of his fixed possessions.

Quote:
2. Act in Yellow. Does anyone play with these? When the 3rd card comes up you play you lose? Variant thought: 1. everyone is crazy lose all allies, 2. Curse the land, lose all blessings. 3. Awake the AO. Just a thought.

Um, yeah. That is how the rules work. The point is you spend the costs to keep Acts 1 and 2 in play as long as possible.

Quote:
3. Martial artist: The healing thing was weird. So say I have 5 stamina as my max. Lose a point, so I'm at 4. Raise my max to 6. So I heal 1 and get one? So am I at 5 or 6? If I move the slider up and down can I heal 1 stamina and 1 sanity like that?? She ended up being the chosen, and then maxed sanity so had like 8 sanity in the final battle. Insane.

It is the final position of the sliders so you can't toggle back and forth during a single turn.Not sure if this is what you are doing.

Quote:
4. Ended up with 2 elder signs and did this with both of them. Not sure its legal, but from the rules this seem to be correct.
P2 then moves into the location normally with the gate and gives P1 the elder sign.
Is this legal?

Depends on turn order. You can only trade during Phase 2 and Phase 3 is when you get drawn through gates. So If P1 is actually going first this round and will have closed the gate by the time P2's turn comes up in this phase, then P2 would have the encounter as normal. If p2 goes before P1 in turn order, P2 would get sucked through the gate before P1 has a chance to close it.

Quote:
5. Can a location sealed with an elder gate burst?? It did, we let it, its seemed wrong.

Yes, that is the point of the gate bursts - to make the game harder.

Quote:
6. At end of the game, the 6th gate would have brought 2 monsters that would have upped the terror level? But we played it as soon as the 6th gate was laid, that was it, game over here comes the AO so the terror level did not go up. It was the King in Yellow, so teror level was his combat mod. Thus -4 and not -5.

Not sure of exact timing. The game should end immediately with the opening of the gate before monsters are dealt with..

Quote:
7. We played with the lurker and NO one took anything from him. We used his -1 to close a gate, but that was it. Does anyone ever take anything from him? After about 6 of the cards, we forgot to draw them, they didn't seem to do anything if no oen takes the pacts or allies. This is all voluntary right? Did we play this wrong?

You need to determine if it is worth it. Sometimes it will be sometimes it won't.

Quote:
8. In the final combat with the AO we were distributing spells and weapons to best fight him. And the librarian grabbed up this spell that costs only 1 to cast, no hands and gives everyone in the same area +2 to all their combat checks. Nothing said you couldn't use it in the big battle, and I have to assume if we are trading stuff we are in the same area?? That ended up being huge. 5 rounds combat, failed only 1 time. So 4 x 12 = 48 extra dice being rolled.

You just need to cast it each time. If it can't be used in the final battle it will say so. I am not sure what card this is off the top of my head.

Quote:
9. The Librarian went up rift closing at 1 point in the game, and kept being handed handfuls of clues from her encounters. When she went to close gates, she was delayed, and never got into a gate before the game ended. She had 16 clues!!! She had the fight +1 skill. So on round 1 vs Hashut, she decided to spend all 16 clues for 32 extra rolls!! Is that legal?? With her 7 or so other dice she end up doing 13 total hits to the big guy.

Yes, it sounds right. Just a good combo that worked in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenTheRat wrote:

Yes he does, it should be noted on his character sheet under starting items.

BenTheRat wrote:

We just play them as is. Each Act card gives you an opportunity to pay the cost to remove it.

BenTheRat wrote:

You base the healing off of the final slider location. So if she is at max 5 with 4, if you place the slider on max 6, she will heal one and be at 5. But remember, as Stamina is healed, Sanity may be lost (and vice versa) as you lower the max.

BenTheRat wrote:
Is this legal?

It is legal. P2 will only be sucked into the gate on his Arkham Encounter phase. If P1 closes it before P2's turn, then there will be no gate to go into.

BenTheRat wrote:

Yes it can, as placing a seal with an Elder Sign or clues makes no difference. Remember, when a gate burst, you remove the seal and place a gate, but a doom token is not added.

BenTheRat wrote:

That's how I would do it. As soon as the gate appears, the Ancient One immediately awakens before any other effects are carried out, such as adding monsters.

BenTheRat wrote:

We take his pacts all the time, the power is very useful to use as clues to seal gates. However, you still need to draw a reckoning cards every time a gate opens. Even if you don't take the pacts, some of the cards force characters to take pacts or get power tokens.

BenTheRat wrote:

Before each attack, an upkeep phase occurs, and you can trade with other characters. Just be certain that you don't keep any items that tell you to discard if the Ancient One awakens.

BenTheRat wrote:

It is definitely legal to use your clues in this way.

BenTheRat wrote:
Anyway, we ended up having a great time and the first time I defeated an AO in combat.

That's what it's all about! Keep on fighting the good fight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
BenTheRat wrote:

Yes he does, it should be noted on his character sheet under starting items.

** I swear I read that 5 or 6 times last night and couldn't find it. Don't think it was major as we had plenty of monster trophies to bless him early on.

BenTheRat wrote:

We just play them as is. Each Act card gives you an opportunity to pay the cost to remove it.

** We play it that way also. But I guess the deck is so diluted We rarely see Act II played. I think only once.

BenTheRat wrote:

You base the healing off of the final slider location. So if she is at max 5 with 4, if you place the slider on max 6, she will heal one and be at 5. But remember, as Stamina is healed, Sanity may be lost (and vice versa) as you lower the max.

** Ok, that makes more sense. The guy was toggling and I thought that was cheesy at best.

BenTheRat wrote:
Is this legal?

It is legal. P2 will only be sucked into the gate on his Arkham Encounter phase. If P1 closes it before P2's turn, then there will be no gate to go into.

** Thats how we did it and it worked like aces. Very sweet indeed.

BenTheRat wrote:

Yes it can, as placing a seal with an Elder Sign or clues makes no difference. Remember, when a gate burst, you remove the seal and place a gate, but a doom token is not added.

** We played it right. I just hated seeing that Elder sign go. One of the reasons the doom track was barely half full when the game ended.

BenTheRat wrote:

That's how I would do it. As soon as the gate appears, the Ancient One immediately awakens before any other effects are carried out, such as adding monsters.

** Glad to hear we played it right.

BenTheRat wrote:

We take his pacts all the time, the power is very useful to use as clues to seal gates. However, you still need to draw a reckoning cards every time a gate opens. Even if you don't take the pacts, some of the cards force characters to take pacts or get power tokens.

** Ok, I think after the first few cards it scared everyone. No one wanted to be the first. Forgot they could be used as clues. Needing 8 to close a gate, those would have been handy. Then after so many cards of "they guy with the most power tokens..." we forgot to draw.

So new question if 2 gates open, I guess we draw 2 cards right?

BenTheRat wrote:

Before each attack, an upkeep phase occurs, and you can trade with other characters. Just be certain that you don't keep any items that tell you to discard if the Ancient One awakens.

** Yep, did that. Even though I catch players throwing away stuff I'm like, no. Save that dagger, for when you have to discard an item to attack. But sounds like we played it right. That spell is pretty powerful against the AO. Save that for future games.

BenTheRat wrote:

It is definitely legal to use your clues in this way.

BenTheRat wrote:

That's what it's all about! Keep on fighting the good fight!

Thanks, it was awesome beating him. I think our only screwups were not cursing the reporter and forgeting to draw the lurker cards close to the end. Librarian definetely got the MVP!! She is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
16 clue tokens is a sure way to win an against the AO. Thanks for sharing the questions. And congrats on the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It was definetely one of the wierdest games I ever played in.

Turn 1 got the King in Yellow Act card.
Turn 2 2 gates open, no doom token.
Turn 3 gate opened, 1st doom token
turn 4 was a monster burst
turn 5 we closed a gate with the elder sign, so no dooms.
Turn 5 gate opened another doom
turn 6 gate burst where we sealed it, so no doom.

So we had 4 gates opened and a gate trophy in hand and only 1 doom marker on the board, and I think we removed that doom token, so it was back to 0.

Should have worried more about the gates that were open than the doom track. Oh well, all's well that doesn't end the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
7. There are a couple of Reckoning cards that state the investigators without a Pack may draw one; but, any investigator without one is cursed. Those may be in Miskatonic Horror; but, it does illustrate the importance of drawing them.

This is a spoiler for cards that are definitely in MU:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Any investigator with a Soul Pact is devoured. Any investigator with a Blood Pact is devoured.

There's another quite brutal one for having a Bound Ally, but I don't recall which expansion it's from -- Lurker or MU.

9. As a variant, some players limit the number of clues that can be spent per Final Battle combat round to the number of Elder Sign tokens on the board at the time of awakening. By rule, you can spend all sixteen in one round.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cooley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenTheRat wrote:

I don't think Call Down the Storm (the spell it sounds like you are referring to) is playable during the fight with the Ancient One. Call Down the Storm is cast during the Movement Phase. I don't think you get an actual Movement Phase during Final Battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That maybe. I'll see if I can't dig the card out today. Also found out last night when we drew the KiY Act card before the game we should have discarded it and drawn another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.