Subject: Revised Advanced Co-op Mystery Chart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm the only one who feels the revised Mystery Phase Co-op chart that comes with Something Wicked is too harsh?

The original had the ability to place Investigations (roll 5-6) but the revised chart only contains 'bad' things. I know it's supposed to, it's in the Mystery Phase, but it seems to slow the game down when occurances need to be resolved which may trigger things from the Minion chart and / or the Villian's abilities and then there's a Mystery card to draw.

Perhaps I'm still learning the game's tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it changed the co-op game from way too easy to damn hard and much the better for it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I´m not a big fan of the revised chart. I think it´s boring and has to much text but not as much fun content. We usually play with the short six-dice chart. But maybe a combo would be good. Why not make a house-ruled chart...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is rather harsh, but I prefer harsh over the candy-ass original, where a hot hand (rolling 5-6) meant you were just getting more and more goods. Advanced Chart merely asks if you like to rough or rougher !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've hardly ever used it, and I've never used the Showdown chart.

Maybe someone can convince me of their merit? Just seems to make the Mystery Phase bog down and take a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both add difficulty, which is a good thing in my book, especially for a co-op that started off too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (who loves this game) and I played with the advanced charts for the first time in our last game. We had a blast.

She was particularly amused when her Katarina went mad and wounded me, which led to my untimely K.O. when I was attacked (and finished off) the following mystery phase by the Bog Fiend. Oh how she laughed when the treasured weapons I had been flaunting all game were lost as result.

She's ten.

I think I've a mini gaming geek on my hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon
msg tools
I really enjoy the chart. The only thing that I think sucks about it is Lies and Deceit. There has been quite a few games that have screwed me with 6 or 7 evil elders because they had so many damn secrets and all it takes is one evil one.

The surprise showdown can make things entertaining as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The new chart is awful, never use it. Don't use any chart actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I found it changed the co-op game from way too easy to damn hard and much the better for it...

My sentiment exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dillon000 wrote:
I really enjoy the chart.

I like it too. I tend not to use it for single-hero solo games, but if I'm running 2 or more heroes, I prefer using it.

An intermediate mystery chart wouldn't be a bad idea, though. It also might be interesting to use the standard chart in the early stages of the shadow track, and switch to the advanced one when the track reaches the 3rd stage (or whatever).

Quote:

This is the only one I don't like. In my experience, it translates to "immediately KO your hero".

Here's an idea for a house rule for when it comes up: it's just a one round non-showdown villain attack, like the Deadly Encounter mystery card, or standard Minion Chart entry. But, it means you also add the optional Showdown chart to the game (but not until the real showdown).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

This is the only one I don't like. In my experience, it translates to "immediately KO your hero".

Can't you just escape after the first fight round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Several posts back, someone proposed a revised chart, which I've been using. It plays pretty well. Just search the forum, and you should be able to find it if you want to try something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Several posts back, someone proposed a revised chart, which I've been using. It plays pretty well. Just search the forum, and you should be able to find it if you want to try something new.

And here it is:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/892664/super-duper-coop-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookmarked, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.