Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
I've been thinking some more about house-ruling the way encounters work. So far I've been using the house rule where I roll a die when not exploring, and then only draw an Encounter card if the number is less than 16. This rule works quite well for me (slightly reducing the troublesome not-exploring encounters), but I'm still looking for something more interesting, something that would present the player with some additional meaningful decisions.

So here's a new potential rule that I have in mind at the moment (still working on it, this is just an early idea for all who are interested):

- The official rule where you can spend 5 Experience points to cancel the drawn Encounter card does not apply any more.

- The heros have a new ability called "Stealth". This is basically a number which should be somewhat higher for stealthier characters (e.g. rogue) and lower for warriors etc (this should be balanced through play-testing).

- Each time when an Encounter card should be drawn, roll the die. If the number is lower than the character's Stealth, the Encounter card is not drawn.

- If, however, the Encounter card is drawn, the player can decide to spend Experience points to lower the rolled number, possibly below the Stealth value. Each Experience point spent reduces the rolled number by one.

Example:

Hero A has Stealth of 5 and has to draw an Encounter card. He rolls 4. Since this is lower than his Stealth, the Encounter card is not drawn.

Hero B has Stealth of 5 and has to draw an Encounter card. He rolls 7. Since this is not lower than his Stealth, an Encounter card is drawn. However, then the hero decides to spend 3 Experience points to bring the number down from 7 to 4 (7 - 3 = 4 < 5). Thus, the effects of the Encounter card are cancelled.

As I said, this is an early idea, but of course comments are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@LipaB
Have you run any playtests using this rule yet? How did they go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
I'm currently in the process of play-testing.

What's fun about this variant is that it retains the feeling of peril and unpredictability, yet still manages to reduce the number of Encounters (at least on average) and forces the player into new decisions ("Should I spend those Experience points or no?"). Also, it makes the differences between the characters more thematic. A stealthy rogue will probably draw less attention to herself than the fighter etc.

Of course, the main problem (challenge) is to find just the right Stealth values for each of the characters. This is the purpose of play-testing. So far I'm considering the range between 10 (rogue) and 5 (fighter), but more testing is needed.

Finally, the mechanics of the variant also call for new Treasure or Ability cards. Or even Encounter cards. Something that would raise/reduce your Stealth etc.

And as a variant of the variant, instead of assigning Stealth to the characters, the dungeon tiles could be assigned "Peril" values instead. Before drawing an Encounter card, the player should try to roll lower than the Peril value on the current tile in order to skip the Encounter. This would make some tiles much more dangerous to be on, and others more safe. Of course, the Experience points can still be used as before to lower the rolled number in order to cancel the effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monterey Jack
msg tools
I hate drawing encounter cards When I am fighting a fistful of monsters alreaady...it is not thematic. Personally, I use a "BATTLE" die instead of drawing encounter cards. This is easy to set up, and doesn't slow gameplay.
I simply painted a d6
SIDE 1: has a symbol with 2 swords crossing...the active monster roles 2 attacks.
SIDE 2: has an "M"...this monster acts as a sentry, placing a tile from the bottom of the deck, etc.
SIDE 3: has "red starburst". The active monster does +1 damage...this is automatic...even if the monster misses.
SIDE 4: has "+2"...the monster gets a bonus to it's attack.
SIDE 5: has "HP"...when this is rolled, the moster regains 1 HP
SIDE 6: has a "T" for treasure card...you can play that the monster gets to use this as a bonus, but I just use it as a reward for defeating the monster.

So, instead of drawing the encounter card, role this die...the effect of the role is applied to the first monster in play for the active hero, or, if the hero isn't controling any monsters, it is applied to the closest monster. Simple, equivalent level of difficulty, but more thematic! What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zen master
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello,
I played with this variant and I think it's very nice!
The values ​​that I've tried are the following: Rogue 10, Ranger 8, Wizard 6, Fighter 4, Cleric 4
Only a doubt about this.
When a hero reveals a black arrow tile, can roll for Stealth or always takes the encounter?
In my game a Hero roll for Stealth only when it explores.
Is correct?

Thanks for this beauty idea

Zen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of characters being able to avoid encounters using some form of stealth. And it adds a little more depth and differentiation between the classes.

To make this more consistent with d20-based D&D math, I'd give each hero a stealth bonus, and then make a target number that they have to overcome, with each point of XP adding one to the die roll.

But then I'd also give different situations different difficulty levels (i.e. target numbers to exceed). Like the blue cards with traps would be very difficult to avoid, but the red attack events would be a little easier. Something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.