Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Flash Point the other week and enjoyed it as well as the family,pretty easy to get and play but after a couple of games it left me feeling flat. I mean dont get me wrong,I liked the game but the randomness kinda killed it for me as far as where the victims go. I like rolling dice,but a few games where we happen to roll like 3 or 4 victims right next to the escape door,just took the challenge right away. I was just curious if the expansions to this game add anything to it,or just more boards and more of the same game?

With these cold winter weekends we been getting a lot more gaming in,so im still on the look out for that one game that really gets us going. I play with my Wife and 2 kids "12 and 9" I try to change it up but it seems to go much smoother and less fighting if we are all on the same team. So I was looking for another good co-op game,Zombicide went over pretty good,but I was not a fan of the rules to play it that often.
I was looking for something a little more involved but not complicated and less luck driven. I think im gonna order Police Precinct,it just looks like fun but still not sure if that is the game im describing.
If you have a idea on what would fit the bill here,let me know. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
M & M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
With a co-op I think you should expect to need quite a bit of luck, or many variables inherent in gameplay to get some replayability from the system.

It looks like you enjoy Pandemic. Have you looked into Defenders of the Realm? It's co-op with no traitor mechanic and very similar to Pandemic. Some differences are the fantasy theme and there are no guaranteed "cube cures" like in Pandemic. When you go to cure cubes "defeat enemy minions" in DotR, you roll dice to simulate a battle, so there are no guarantees. Each of the four factions have their own strengths, and just like Pandemic, each player character has unique capabilities. Though in DotR each player has more than one ability. It's definitely a step up from Pandemic in complexity, but also has more luck which you seem to be shying away from.

I really like Lord of the Rings as a co-op. It is far different than Pandemic (sorry, I haven't played Flashpoint). Though some claim it feels too abstract, I think it's very thematic and well designed. It is a challenge, though it's easy to vary the difficulty based on your preferences. There is a new edition out that is not entirely compatible with the expansions from the old edition.

Though I own and have read the rules to Gears of War: The Board Game, I have yet to play it. It is strictly co-op. I'm not familiar with the video games, but it has a sci-fi combat team where your few soldiers are fighting through lots of enemies. It comes with a variety of missions. Each mission has the same modular boards, though they are randomly set up each game so you can play a mission multiple times and get a different layout each time. It uses cards to drive the enemy AI. It looks to have a lot of variety built into the gameplay that should hopefully enhance the replayability.

I really like Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. It's a little fiddly but it is very challenging. The theme may be a big turn off for those not interested in over the top sci-fi flavor. It shares the theme and tension present in the movie Aliens. It's also available cheaply, should be for less than $20 online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hrm...

Possibly Castle Panic? It's on my list of consideration, though my children are younger than yours by a handful of years.

Space Alert could be a good option as well, depending on your family's tastes...?

The Heroscape series can be cooperative, as well as ffa...

GG's! :]

cJw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Defenders of the Realm. It is a great family coop. If you like fantasy you will love that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play Flash Point in the family or standard variant? I had it also that the dice rolling resulted in something I really did't want. Sometimes you cant't rescue them all and have to leave some behind. Maybe these desicions are a littlebit too hard for for kids. Especially your younger one. But on the other side, fire is unpredictable.

In the list below you will find the recommended age for the games. I own them all and took the recommendation from the german version of the box.

Pandemic - One of the best coop games. You can also play it solo. It can also be nasty, but this is the game where I like losing most (Age 10+)
Pandemic: On the Brink - Expansion to pandemic. More variety and with the Bio-Terrorist you add a player to play against. But more for the elder ones or more experienced player. Meat for the future.

Forbidden Island - From the same author as Pandemic. You can see it as "Pandemic light". Perfect for kids. A good solo filler. You can start with this game and then advance to Pandemic. (Age 10+)

Ghost Stories - One for the future. A dice driven game. Sometimes it's too much luck based, but overall a lot of fun. (Age 13+)

Another one is
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - Seems also to have a huge replayability. I don't own this game (yet), because I wait for the german reprint but BGG says age 8+. But from my knowledge of the game it is similar to pandemic, So I would say 10+.

I also played
Atlantis - Completely without any dice. Nice game easy to play. I played it with two and four players. Should fit for your kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.