Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just picked this up in a trade (the non-Dark City version), and I've been playing it as much as I can the last week. I've played ten 2-player games so far, and I've been quite impressed. It fills a niche in my game collection for a fast, light game that focuses on headgames, and playing the other player.

I had read repeatedly that the game is too random, but with 2 players, it feels quite calculating.

I will only report on the last game, played last night with my brother-in-law, Sam. I raced out to a huge lead, with five buildings to his four, worth 13 to his 6. This was mainly due to a King/Merchant first turn that saw me build two green districts, including one worth six gold...

Then, with Sam as King, he hands me the roles with Assassin and Architect missing--I know he's taken Assassin, so I discard what would obviously be my strongest card--the Merchant with four green buildings--and instead took the Warlord, discarding the Merchant. When I get the pile back, he's either taken the Thief or the Bishop. Since I have six gold, I'm terrified of the Thief, so I skip the better card--the King--for the lowly Magician.

He reveals Assassin, and names Warlord. He reveals Thief, and names Magician.

Thus, he made sure I knew he was taking Assassin/Thief, and presumed correctly that I would avoid the obvious roles.

With my gold and my missed turn, he caught up by ten points in one round. Ouch!

Our score was tied at seven buildings each, but I finally won by building my eighth first.

Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.