5 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: I don't understand the catapult rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Fredin
Sweden
flag msg tools
My friends and I had trouble really understanding the rules for the catapult. Here are a few questions that arose -

- in the 5p map (I think it was), can I place the catapult on that "peninsula" on the left, and consider the regions that only has water between them and the region I put my catapult on as "catapultable"?

- I still have to be able to attack a region as usual, meaning I have to be adjacent, and place the catapult one region in, so to speak, to use it, right?

And other help you can give in explaining the catapult would help as well, in case there's something else we haven't really understood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The Catapult is an interesting ability that grants Offense, Defense and movement abilities.

tolerable wrote:

- in the 5p map (I think it was), can I place the catapult on that "peninsula" on the left, and consider the regions that only has water between them and the region I put my catapult on as "catapultable"?

Hmmmmmmmmmm well the rules are very specific that the lake counts as a region for these purposes and I would rule that the ocean regions do as well.

Edit should have checked the rules. Lakes are good but Seas are no go.
tolerable wrote:

- I still have to be able to attack a region as usual, meaning I have to be adjacent, and place the catapult one region in, so to speak, to use it, right?

Actually no. The Catapult grants a movement ability in that you may attack a region that is one region away from the region you currently have possession of. The Catapult in a sense redefines what regions you are allowed to attack when you use it so if you place the The Catapult next to the lake you may than attack ANY region next to the lake that is not adjacent to The Catapult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:

tolerable wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmm well the rules are very specific that the lake counts as a region for these purposes and I would rule that the ocean regions do as well.

No, the rules are very specific:

The Catapult may be used to attack a region beyond the Lake, but not over Seas.

http://cdn1.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/img/sw_bna_en.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
chardir wrote:

No, the rules are very specific:

The Catapult may be used to attack a region beyond the Lake, but not over Seas.

http://cdn1.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/img/sw_bna_en.pdf

Well there you have it. teach me to answer without checking the rules. So lake yes, seas no go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find more helpful information & discussion by visiting the rules forum for Be Not Afraid, the expansion itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.