Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First the caveat... we've only played this game once so far, and yes, we made a mistake misinterpreting one of the rules, so the balance was off. This could well have affected the situation that brought my question to mind.

However...

One of the players built two identical buildings. It was a very smart selection, choosing the "three of your workers require no corn" building. Thus, she didn't need any corn for the six workers she had by the end of the game.

With more experience, we would have been able to prevent this with another player taking the building themselves. But as newbs to the game, it came on us unexpectedly.

The question that it brings up is, of course, should a player be able to build two (or more) identical buildings?

The rules don't mention it, so the literal interpretation must be that multiples are permitted since they are not specifically prohibited. But is that the intended spirit of the rules? Many games (Puerto Rico as a prime example) specifically disallow multiple identical buildings, and I wonder whether Tzolk'in also meant that to be the case, but translation of the rules missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain there is a section in the rules (perhaps in an example) that says you can have duplicate buildings.

In particular, the yellow building that provides 1 Food to each Worker. If you get 2 of them, all your workers are fed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, it's entirely allowed. This isn't like Puerto Rico where a lot of your abilities come from the buildings, here, the buildings are a mix of one shot bonuses and small continuous bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to think that a player being allowed to build two identical buildings is intentional.

Buildings lack a name, and even if this is may be driven by the design decision to make all components language-independent, it also seems to suggest that they haven't a real identity (uniqueness) to be enforced.

That's only a gut feeling of course, but if you lack an ID (name, number, image...) you have to judge the uniqueness of two things by all of their properties, and this may be cumbersome. That's because I vote for the "don't bother about having multiple copies of the same building" thesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the rules imply you can build 2 of the same buildings...

On page 11 (under Buildings), the explanation of one of the farm tiles state:

"Each of your workers requires 1 less corn. If you have two of these buildings, then feeding all your workers costs no corn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
I'm fairly certain there is a section in the rules (perhaps in an example) that says you can have duplicate buildings.

You're absolutely right, thank you. As soon as I read your post I remembered that example... The example in the centre column of page 11 features a player having two identical buildings (the "feed one worker for free" building) and specifically states that with two of these buildings, they may feed two workers for free.

Done and dusted. Thanks very much for the pointer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.