Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If you are in the US and have Amazon Prime this will only cost you $8:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065O63BK/ref=oh_details_o...

The magnets are VERY small but hold extremely well. I glued one to the bottom of each ball and a matching one to the base of everyone that can handle the ball.

A few tips...make sure you align the magnets properly when you glue them on to the balls/figures if you want them to 'stack' properly (rather than sit next to each other...You'll know what I mean when you try it).

Also...small powerful magnets like this can be VERY dangerous if swallowed. Keep them away from small children or animals. Google the Bucky Ball lawsuits for horror stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y. Chung
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you drill holes into the bases and the ball? Or did you just glue them right on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I just glued them. But you wouldn't have to make a very large hole if you drilled. I also put the magnets on the top of the bases, but I'll need to test if I could have put them on the bottom. I imagine yes considering how strong they are but you'd have to be very careful about the alignment of the poles if you did that.

I also found it easier to put the magnet on top in plain sight since depending on the mini you might not always use the same part of the base for the ball. The crouched over vermin strikers are the worst in this regard.

The magnets will come stacked....put a drop of glue on the mini...put the bottom of the magnet stack in the glue...when the glue dries you'll be able to 'snap' the stack off. Should help you keep from getting glue everywhere...the magnets really are very small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you glue the magnets on the clear hex bases, they also serve as a good reminder for the center facing of each miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trick I learned to help with magnets and their "Poles" is to make two handler magnets.

Take two magnets that are stuck together using their magnetic pull and put a ball of greenstuff (modeling putty) on each of the ends of the outer magnets.

Mark one of the green stuff balls with a (+) and the other with a (-) sign.

Let the green stuff dry so they act like little handles for the magnets.

Then when putting the magnets into the base of your minis grab one magnet using the using the (+) marked handler magnet and place the magnet into the base.

When putting the magnets into the dreadball use the other (-) handler magnet to grab the free magnet, and put it in place with the (-) handler magnet.

Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:
Trick I learned to help with magnets and their "Poles" is to make two handler magnets.

Take two magnets that are stuck together using their magnetic pull and put a ball of greenstuff (modeling putty) on each of the ends of the outer magnets.

Let the green stuff dry so they act like little handles for the magnets.

Then when putting the magnets into the base of your minis grab one magnet using the using the (+) marked handler magnet and place the magnet into the base.

When putting the magnets into the dreadball use the other (-) handler magnet to grab the free magnet, and put it in place with the (-) handler magnet.

Hope this helps...
This is a brilliant idea!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:

Shouldn't that be an 'N' and an 'S'? And how can you be sure that you've marked them correctly?!

(Just kidding, great tip.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y. Chung
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's the measurement between the edge of the circular bases on the figures to the edge of the plastic hex base (perpendicular)? Trying to figure out proportion of the magnets when glued onto the hex base... Also, I'm worried that some of the sculpts will be be bigger, beyond the circular base, in which case there will be little if any space for a magnet to be placed on the front side (that will show facing of the figure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome improvement! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pics of this would be great, I'd like to see how it looks with and without the ball in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having considered (and rejected) pulling in magnets for putting the minis onto the bases, this idea sounds cool and still lets me scratch that magnet (SCIENCE !) itch.

Pics would be great here, to see what you've done. Tossing up between drilling the magnets into the base (after all, the base is clear, so the magnet will still be visible even if flush with the base) or glueing them on.

Finally, given the DISASTER I've had with glue, could I ask which glue you used to attach the magnet to the base (and did this cause the clear plastic to cloud up or not ?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bets bet is to use PVA to glue them on if you're using glue. Won't get the misting problem then. Just use a small amount of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could also use these for the player numbers if you were so inclined. You could glue the decal of the player number to a magnet, so you would have 2 sets of 1-14. They You could glue a magnet to the base of each model and label each model on the field with one of the number magnets. This may work great for those of us who don't want to spend the money to have a model for each slot on our rosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.