16 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Investigator, "The Immortal" (to be reviewed/pulled apart) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grimace Grunson
msg tools

Howdy all,

My friends and I have been having a blast with vanilla AH for the past while (I have gotten Dunwich and KiY for Christmas, but we're not quite on that level yet). I recently found out about Strange Eons and have, natually, been fiddling around with that (at first to try to make a "Doctor" investigator, ie. Doctor Who, before just playing with it in general).

Which brings me to Johann, above - a character I've had rattling around in the noggin for a while, which I thought I'd throw together.

Even though Eons said he was "balanced", I fear he's overpowered, so wanted to put him up here before trying to use him proper. The idea behind him is a 300+ year old drifter would try to be moderately self-sufficient/a good all rounder. But also a little "tougher" than the average joe.

I also took the first special skill from a character in IH (I think?), as since I don't have that it was new and exciting to me. I also am fearful that any Special Ability that I tried to make up would be unbalanced. All I could think of "in theme" was to regenerate 1 San/Stn each upkeep, which seemed pretty hardcore - could maybe include that but also include no voluntarily regenerating Health/San at the Hospital or Arkham by way of balance (as part of the "Low Profile" idea)?

Thoughts/comments/what-have-you welcome. Ta!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goetz
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ia! Ia!
badge
1. e4 2. g6
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting character!

He seems to be Agnes Baker with a better suited stamina for the 1-1 special ability. Two skills is fun but in no way overpowered, and his other starting items are less powerful than Agnes. (I'm comparing the two because of the matching special ability.) Additionally, Johann's second ability is a definite negative, further shifting him towards underpowered compared to Agnes.

I don't think he's overpowered at all, to be perfectly honest. Your automatic regeneration with the stated tradeoff (no encounter regeneration at Asylum/Hospital) may well be somewhat overpowered, but at least it adds a new and interesting flair for your character.

Regardless, keep tinkering with it. Nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
You're right that the power is an official one which is not a bad thing. As he is he is very balanced and if anything he is underpowered.

Strange Eons equates 1 random skill to $10 in starting money which is actually very expensive. Also he doesn't start with any spells so he can't take advantage of his main ability right off the bat.

Stat wise your character is very good at fighting with a slight lore which makes him able to cast spells and alright movement and a low focus counter balance. You didn't fall into a very common pitfall that I see many people fall into which is ignoring Sneak and Luck. Sneak and Luck are the 2 least useful skills and the very first indication of an overpowered investigator that I look for is to see if the creator ignored these 2 stats

The final thing isn't so much a criticism but a useful trick. Try editing your first post with the following and tell me if you think it makes your thread look better.

imageid=1528922large
imageid=1528938large

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimace Grunson
msg tools
Thanks very much for the pointers you two. I've added the "large" to the image code which should hopefully make everything easier to read right off the bat.

Yeah I thought I'd bump up Luck a bit to a) keep it in "theme" (anyone whose lived 300+ years has to be a little lucky), and because it's not something I've ever used that much, so thought having a decent luck stat might actually allow us to roll for it for once. I also gave him two skills over the usual one because, well hey, 300 years. Ought to have learnt an extra trick or two in that time.

The alternative special ability I mentioned above I've typed out as:

Immortal Blood, Upkeep: Johann regains 1 lost point of Stamina or Sanity, whichever is lower. If both attributes are equal, he regains 1 point of Stamina.
Low Profile, Any Phase: Johann can never obtain the following Special cards: Bank Loan, Deputy of Arkham, Retainer, or any Membership card. He also cannot choose to have a Special Encounter at Arkham Hospital or St. Mary's Hospital.

This would more or less limit him to getting health back from his ability and/or common items like food etc (unless the Doctor or Shrink is also a character). Still not sure about it. It's either that or add a spell in to start off with, I think (to make use of the special ability I stole from "Agnes", Arkhamwiki tells me).

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I prefer the new ability, but I'm the reverse of one of the posters here. I prefer to see new abilities than ones I've seen before, as this keeps them fresh rather than becoming Bob Jenkins with a fresh lick of paint.

You'll also need to cap the healing ability so that it doesn't work when the Ancient One awakens, but he looks like an interesting character to play. You might want to add a Personal Story too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

One question. If he is 300+ years old would he not have a higher Lore or Will value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimaceGrunson wrote:
Thanks very much for the pointers you two. I've added the "large" to the image code which should hopefully make everything easier to read right off the bat.

Yeah I thought I'd bump up Luck a bit to a) keep it in "theme" (anyone whose lived 300+ years has to be a little lucky), and because it's not something I've ever used that much, so thought having a decent luck stat might actually allow us to roll for it for once. I also gave him two skills over the usual one because, well hey, 300 years. Ought to have learnt an extra trick or two in that time.

The alternative special ability I mentioned above I've typed out as:

Immortal Blood, Upkeep: Johann regains 1 lost point of Stamina or Sanity, whichever is lower. If both attributes are equal, he regains 1 point of Stamina.
Low Profile, Any Phase: Johann can never obtain the following Special cards: Bank Loan, Deputy of Arkham, Retainer, or any Membership card. He also cannot choose to have a Special Encounter at Arkham Hospital or St. Mary's Hospital.

This would more or less limit him to getting health back from his ability and/or common items like food etc (unless the Doctor or Shrink is also a character). Still not sure about it. It's either that or add a spell in to start off with, I think (to make use of the special ability I stole from "Agnes", Arkhamwiki tells me).

Thanks again!

The only drawback I see to not being able to have an encounter in AA or SMH is in the event he gets trapped by a monster he can't defeat or evade. Maybe the fact he can't get any rewards in those two places as a result of encounters. There are a few pretty punishing ones and he should have to face consequences.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Contrary to thinking he was overpowered, I was comparing him to Finn Edwards, who also starts with two skills. Finn has also got $8, a Bank Loan, can't lose items unless he chooses to do so, has two Common Items and two Unique Items.

Finn has a great sneak (five), but can't much fight, maxing both Will and Fight at three. They both have a focus of one. If SE says he's balanced, I can't argue, but he seems pretty weak, unless that max Fight of five is more valuable than I think.

I also see that Johann has eleven ego/id, as opposed to the usual ten.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the game set in the mid-20s, closer to 350 years have passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimace Grunson
msg tools
Jacob Busby wrote:
I prefer the new ability, but I'm the reverse of one of the posters here. I prefer to see new abilities than ones I've seen before, as this keeps them fresh rather than becoming Bob Jenkins with a fresh lick of paint.

You'll also need to cap the healing ability so that it doesn't work when the Ancient One awakens, but he looks like an interesting character to play. You might want to add a Personal Story too.

Yeah, me too - makes him more "him". Just was overly cautious, I guess. Personal story comes after smoothing out the edges.

Throxx wrote:
Very nice!

One question. If he is 300+ years old would he not have a higher Lore or Will value?

Quite probably - I tried to bump them up above the usual "0 - 3", but wasn't sure where else to take the points from (and wanted, for once, to beef up Luck). I added the two skills to try to reflect the "oldness" (as most only have the 1). Might shuffle Fight/Lore/Will around a bit, dunno.

apatheticexecutioner wrote:
The only drawback I see to not being able to have an encounter in AA or SMH is in the event he gets trapped by a monster he can't defeat or evade.

I...actually hadn't thought of that! Especially considering his sneak isn't the greatest.

Maybe the fact he can't get any rewards in those two places as a result of encounters. There are a few pretty punishing ones and he should have to face consequences.

So can still pay the $2 to get healed up, but any positives from the cards are a no go? Either that or maybe make it $3 (and his only real way of getting money will be dumping monster tokens at the docks)?

If SE says he's balanced, I can't argue, but he seems pretty weak, unless that max Fight of five is more valuable than I think.

I also see that Johann has eleven ego/id, as opposed to the usual ten.

I'd rather have an underpowered character to tweak than the reverse, so that's good. 5 is a pretty decent fight - not great, but above average (the two big fighters that I see on AH wiki both have fights of 6).

The 6/5 Stamina/Sanity was again to reflect his 350ish years (and one of the main reasons I thought he'd be overpowered).

I might have a look at Finn and try to use him as a sort of basis on what Johann should have (taking into account Johann's 6/5 Stm/San split though). Johann's lack of money and and access to resources would be his main impediment - I want to keep it in "theme" but not so much it makes him a pain to play (ie. player forced to wait while his hitpoints painstakingly heal one turn at a time...)

EitherOrlok wrote:
With the game set in the mid-20s, closer to 350 years have passed.

Meh, I was rounding off to the nearest century. Looked nicer on the card. But quite right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, not overpowered.

1. I'd drop the use a stamina for sanity power he has.

2. I'd add, "Immortal Blood: During upkeep, the investigator may use his focus to heal one point of Stamina or Sanity, his choice."
KISS method.

3. I'd add 1 Unique Item. After 350 years, he would have stumbled on something.

4. Don't worry about the 11. While not usual, he isn't the only one to have 11.

I wouldn't even worry about putting anything in about the hosp, and asylum. With his power, he won't visit there anyway, unless he is knocked out or insane. And you don't have to come up with a bunch of fiddly rules. The more fidly rules you come up with the more he will seem overpowered.

Again KISS method.

As for the "well, wouldn't he have higher Lore or Will in 300 years. Only if he has been invovled with this stuff. So if his skill he draws is +1 Lore, there you go. And making one of the 2 skills +1 Lore, might be the right way around that. Or leave it up to chance.

I like him. I usually don't like home made guys, people always go super overpower. This is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimace Grunson
msg tools
Thanks again for the pointers and input everyone - much appreciated.

So, the rejigged Johann...

Have just reworded the Special Abilities (tried to keep them as straightforward as possible, as mentioned above) and added in a random Unique Item. Strange Eons says he's "$5 over the spending limit of $25"...but meh.

Ta much all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
What about if his focus ever increases (hypothetical question)? Does he heal more, does he spend 1 to heal 1 point, or he has to spend all to heal 1 point?

You should clarify the wording a bit more, you never know what might come in expansions in the future, or be part of a scenario rule, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the revised version more, seems reasonable. He's definitely not overpowered; based on my experience of the game I'd say he's a middle tier character, and not top ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimace Grunson
msg tools
foksieloy wrote:
What about if his focus ever increases (hypothetical question)? Does he heal more, does he spend 1 to heal 1 point, or he has to spend all to heal 1 point?

You should clarify the wording a bit more, you never know what might come in expansions in the future, or be part of a scenario rule, and so on.

Hrm, quite right - I might reword it so it's clear that it's 1 Focus = 1 Heal. I think things that permanently increase focus are (or would be) pretty rare.

AndyMax wrote:
I like the revised version more, seems reasonable. He's definitely not overpowered; based on my experience of the game I'd say he's a middle tier character, and not top ten.

Works for me! t'was just aiming to make a character that might be fun to take around the board and get horribly, horribly devoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimace Grunson
msg tools

Had a crack at personal story cards too...because I was bored, mainly. Pretty standard stuff, same old story of immortal ennui. It was either that or him fist-fighting Cthulhu. Which would be interesting.

Surprisingly fun fiddling with Strange Eons I've found as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.