Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just read the rules and 5 turns does seem quite short of a game. Still, the game page lists 240 minutes as the length of the game. I would not have guessed that by reading the rules. Am I missing something here, or does this game really take that long. And if so, how comes? I'm just a tiny inch away from getting this game, but the supposed length is making me hesitate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, considering that you can attack as much as you want on each turn, you can buy/play cards, and there is a secret bidding round for turn order each turn, plus some setup, 4h is quite normal for a 4player game.
In all, it means each player's turn take 10~15 minutes, plus the overhead between each turn (bidding & deciding new turn order).

At a 5 player game we played once, we ran late and had to resort to a 10minute turn limuit for the last two turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing regular Risk I remember my armies being thinned out quite a bit after some (succesfull even) attacks. I guess in Risk 2210 AD you have some possibilities to reinforce your armies during your turn? Can you sketch me a scenario which makes me see how a turn could take so long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how fast you're playing of course.

But a normal player's turn starts with adding reinforcements. Then you purchase any missing/needed commanders. Then you purchase cards. Then you read the cards and then maybe play some of them. Then you can purchase space stations. Then you start your attacks. This involves a lot of dice rolling, and since you can make multiple attacks, it means that the dice will be passed back and forth between your opponents a number of times. Then you finally reach that specific area which allows you to play a card that gives you reinforecments in the middle of a turn.

And there is an amount of bluffing involved as one specific card forces you to NOT attack the person who plays it, plus there are a few cards that allows you to add some extra defenders when you're being attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, this game is a lot more complex than most versions of Risk. It's fun but a single turn can take a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game plenty of times and my typical group tends to average at about an hour per player for the total game length. A lot of the time seems to focus on people negotiating or planning out their best actions. I have finished games significantly faster depending on who I'm playing with, though, so it will probably vary from group to group.

If you're looking for a shorter but similar game, Risk: Godstorm plays a bit faster in my experience, but it's also much more random because of very powerful cards. Risk (Revised Edition) is much quicker than either game, but it's also simpler.

For a fresh take on Risk, I'd also recommend Risk Legacy. The first few games at least will likely be very quick, with later plays getting longer due to added mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zappala
msg tools
the game takes a while to play, get over it or don't buy it.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
risk man zaqp wrote:

Well, I think I take the last option. This game probably just isn't for me. I probably should look at games like Viktory II, Cyclades or BattleLore.

Thanks for all the responses, it really made me make a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
risk man zaqp wrote:

Well, I think I take the last option. This game probably just isn't for me. I probably should look at games like Viktory II, Cyclades or BattleLore.

Thanks for all the responses, it really made me make a good choice.
The funny part... is that one of the unofficial expansion ideas would theoretically take it from a 3 hour game to an all-weekend game.

Interstellar/inter-planetary Risk, it changes the map to have multiple planets to fight over. The idea is fun but.... Giant board = time consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game, and well worth the time of play.

Take the plunge, and jump in with both feet...You'll have tons of fun with the right group of friends/players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
Well, I think I take the last option. This game probably just isn't for me.

After 5 hours of play, when the last turn is ending, you will have barely noticed the time pass by. You will be regreting for not having had the enough time to make all the actions you wanted to, and you will end up wishing for the gameplay to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 2210 makes for some EPIC games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is ridiculous. The game shouldn't take 4 or 5 hours. Three hours tops - even if you are playing with a slowpoke or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zappala
msg tools
Yeah agreed, we have a group of 4 or 5 of us that play this game once a week. We have one player who is VERY slow and the longest game we have ever played was a little over four hours, and that was with five people!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first play went about 4 hours. That was learning it and the works.

I figure 2 hours once everyone was familliar with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.