Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Layfield
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I like space
badge
When the face is a prune, action goes boom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been toying around with the idea of buying a bunch of the Kickstarter exclusive items to sell on Ebay later rather than all of the expansions like I was originally planning to do. Do you guys think there could be significant profit from doing so? I don't really have any experience in miniatures or promo items for board games in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hard to say..

I think the best thing you can do, is try to maximize your money compared to the estimated MSRP. In that regards, I think you'll get more with expansions compared to the promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to miniatures, you buy them because you love them, you sell them because you don't need them any more.

If you speculate with them, you're doomed to disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There might possibly, maybe be a small window of opportunity to make money on the promos, it depends on Adam's re-release schedule. I doubt you'd make as much as you wanted unless you bought the resins now, those might go for fifty or sixty or (maybe) more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am curious is how often can you obtain the special Promos.
Debating on getting the Expansions at lower price or the Promo characters.

Edit:
Not for sale but just how easy for it to get them at a later date. Hate to miss out on a promo character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Koey wrote:
What I am curious is how often can you obtain the special Promos.
Debating on getting the Expansions at lower price or the Promo characters.

Assuming you've got Survivor. Since that has figures that won't be available again IIRC.

My Magic 8-ball says signs point to limited availability in the future for the seven Promo figures [Kara, Candy and Cola, Twilight Knight Alison, the four Messengers]

It says they'll only be available as part of special promotional events after the kickstarter. And in the past even general release Kingdom Death figures tend not to stay in stock long at the best of times.

That being said the Dragon King is half the planned RRP and has a lot of content, its also the expansion I suspect is most likely to suffer an upwards slippage in its RRP.
The other heavily discounted expansion is the Flower Knight. All the others are above half planned RRP.

You've got a couple of weeks to think about it, since the pledge manager won't go live until Kickstarter hand over your details in about two to three weeks time.

http://kdm.bortian.net/ has a handy pledge calculator with the planned RRP's listed, which might help you think what you can squeeze in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:

You've got a couple of weeks to think about it, since the pledge manager won't go live until Kickstarter hand over your details in about two to three weeks time.

http://kdm.bortian.net/ has a handy pledge calculator with the planned RRP's listed, which might help you think what you can squeeze in.

Yea most likely still getting Dragon and Flower Knight as they are highest saving in comparison.
Major debate for me is thinking whether to get 3 Promos or Sunstalker Expansion for reasons listed.
I also done the math with my current pledge it would not be possible to get the $25 level ones without ending up with $5-10 over.
Though I guess I do hope for promos we do not see another chance at them until at least a year after release.
I do hope at least with the huge amount of people backing it resolves the Plastic part of the game to be in stock for the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't bank on widespread distribution of this - Adam has stated a number of times over at Kickstarter that his primary focus is his backers and getting everything fulfilled and not until that is accomplished will he look into offering additional pieces to anyone else.

I'd really suggest everyone ensures they get all that they want from KS, and not rely on the possibility of wider distribution down the road, I'd hate to see you unable to pick something up. Adam has mentioned that with the huge number of backers, as with the average backer pledging around $350+ he is going to rack up a pretty massive shipping bill. He is going to have to have a very tight budget. Plan like you won't be able to get anymore of this stuff, that is my approach.

For me, when it comes down to Gameplay vs. Promos - gameplay wins everytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
jholen wrote:

The Promos should have game play as well.

Each of them comes with a Challenge scenario, which is either a single Conflict phase with both sides load out predetermined or a short quest to add to your campaign of the form of achieve such and such in so many Lantern years. Succeeding gets you the promo's gear card.

Now there are at least two of those in The Game [Adam and Anna] and another three in Survivor [Aya, Snow and Paul].

Nico's Christmas Settlement location on the other hand is supposed to not effect gameplay. Hmm.

I would expect the expansions to be intermittently available on CMON and the Kingdom Death Website but not much more widely distributed.

Though Kingdom Death used to have a UK distributor [Maelstrom Games] until they went bust recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
dahak wrote:
jholen wrote:

The Promos should have game play as well.

Each of them comes with a Challenge scenario, which is either a single Conflict phase with both sides load out predetermined or a short quest to add to your campaign of the form of achieve such and such in so many Lantern years. Succeeding gets you the promo's gear card.

Now there are at least two of those in The Game [Adam and Anna] and another three in Survivor [Aya, Snow and Paul].

Nico's Christmas Settlement location on the other hand is supposed to not effect gameplay. Hmm.

I would expect the expansions to be intermittently available on CMON and the Kingdom Death Website but not much more widely distributed.

Though Kingdom Death used to have a UK distributor [Maelstrom Games] until they went bust recently.
Oh don't get me wrong.

I'm in for Survivor, all messengers as they added gameplay, and Allison. Only two I did not pledge were Kara and the Candy/Cola Soda Pop one as I just felt the gameplay aspects were a bit of a stretch for me, where as the others seemed quite logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
evillego6 wrote:
I have been toying around with the idea of buying a bunch of the Kickstarter exclusive items to sell on Ebay later rather than all of the expansions like I was originally planning to do. Do you guys think there could be significant profit from doing so? I don't really have any experience in miniatures or promo items for board games in general.

Look to the other two KS boardgames with limited promo figures, Zombicide and Sedition Wars. Zombicide has been out for a while and a couple of the promo survivors are going for crazy amounts. I saw a not Bruce Willis go for $90. Sedition Wars is shipping now and had an even larger number of promos toward the end. If those start selling high on ebay before the pledge manager for KDM goes live, I'd say go for it.

There's no guarantee that you'll make much after ebay and paypal fees, but I doubt you'd loose anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwwin wrote:

There's no guarantee that you'll make much after ebay and paypal fees, but I doubt you'd loose anything.

Remember that if you DON'T buy expansions now with your pledge, you will (a) e paying the increased RRP for them, and (b) have to add on additional postage for them (possibly individually, depending on how they are released), and (c) MAY not ever see them available at all.

(a) and (b) combined mean you should choose between paying $25 an expansion now (with effectively free postage) or £50-60 on an individual basis later. If you think that you'll make that make that much by re-selling promo items, then it may be a good deal for you.

Wouldn't it be ironic, though, if you spent your pledge on promos instead of expansions......then the expansion you dropped turns out to only be a limited run because of production issues.....and the only way you can get it is to pay well over the odds on ebay..... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.