Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to play the suggested first game setup and then play again with a mash up of some of out comic favorites.

First I'd like to say that I am a fan of Thunderstone (I have all of it), and enjoy Dominion (my friend has all of this). Secondly, I am a comic book fan.

The game isn't Thunderstone or Dominion, it has it's own pace and feel. Yes you are deck building with "buys" and yes there are villains to combat but it plays faster than the others and it is much more free in turn allowances.

If I had to liken it to one of the other titans-- I'd say it is closer to Thunderstone in that it has heroes vs villains with a clear end goal/target.
But it isn't as fiddly as TS in that you don't need lots of math for light/darkness... It's much more straight forward.

Being straightforward is not a downside. The game can be as long or as short as the players want (barring the scheme mechanic) since you only need to attack the mastermind four times to win.

I thought the game did a decent job of capturing the feel of the heroes by making hero powers/effects build your deck rather than cheapen it by having thirty-two Wolverines in my deck. In this way the heroes effect the combat without being a stat card. Well done.

The Masterminds or bosses are ok, not as impressive as the heroes, but they only have four cards.

The rank and file villains have room to grow, but some do capture the theme in a single battle/ambush/escape effect.

The scheme mechanic is a nice twist adding a persistent threat and timer on the game.

Overall, if you are new to deck building games this is an easy in. If you are a veteran you may feel off at times but it is a fun play on the base mechanics. The art is a great selection (except maybe for Ironman). The play board is solid and helpfully designed.

Definately worth snagging if you are a gamer and a comic fan. Might be worth snagging if you are a Thunderstone fan. You Dominion folk are pretty rabid, so try it at a friend's house first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game solid, but not exciting. With so many other deckbuilders out there, I don't have room for ho-hum anymore. I traded this off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely agree with your review.

I will add though that schemes matched up with certain masterminds and the ability to scale difficulty (add more twists, groups, power to the mastermind, etc) do help the game become more of a challenge for seasoned deck builder players.

I can say without a doubt expansions should make this game great, especially with additional masterminds & villain groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sorrell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I got a chance to get this game out at GenCon earlier this year and played with one of the developers. I came away really impressed but after I dug into more and more deckbuilding games throughout the year, I came away with the impression you mentioned: that it seems straightforward and somewhat simple compared to a lot of the other staple deck builders.

I would like to play it a few more times before making up my mind completely, of course, but I didn't come away excited enough to buy it. Maybe I can convince my friend, a rabid Marvel fan, to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardandbase wrote:
I got a chance to get this game out at GenCon earlier this year and played with one of the developers. I came away really impressed but after I dug into more and more deckbuilding games throughout the year, I came away with the impression you mentioned: that it seems straightforward and somewhat simple compared to a lot of the other staple deck builders.

I would like to play it a few more times before making up my mind completely, of course, but I didn't come away excited enough to buy it. Maybe I can convince my friend, a rabid Marvel fan, to pick it up.

I wouldn't say it is more simple... it's less fiddly. There are many choices to make and card play order is very important.
This system favors triggered abilities meaning play card with x symbol and now play a card thy gets you Y if X had aleady been played.
You can chain these up with additional draw card abilities to some impressive hands.

But unlike Thunderstone and Dominion doing this is easier to keep track of for everyone at the table. We haven't had to check the play or the math on someone's turn in Legendary, but it's basically required if done without narration in the other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
As this appears to be as good a place as any to ask, and as a comic book aficionado since black and white TV, I've been waiting FOREVER for a game that places you in the position of hero and feels like you are really using his/her super powers.

Now, from all the postings, Legendary is dripping with theme, story, and gorgeous art. But, during play of the cards do you actually feel like you're using the character's power to accomplish a task or fight off the baddie? Or, is it "Oh, I'll play this card that provides this benefit" with little or no correlation to what the abilities of the character actually are?

Does it actually feel like you are managing Spider-man, Iron Man, the Hulk, Wolverine, et al?

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
As this appears to be as good a place as any to ask, and as a comic book aficionado since black and white TV, I've been waiting FOREVER for a game that places you in the position of hero and feels like you are really using his/her super powers.

Now, from all the postings, Legendary is dripping with theme, story, and gorgeous art. But, during play of the cards do you actually feel like you're using the character's power to accomplish a task or fight off the baddie? Or, is it "Oh, I'll play this card that provides this benefit" with little or no correlation to what the abilities of the character actually are?

Does it actually feel like you are managing Spider-man, Iron Man, the Hulk, Wolverine, et al?

Thanks all.

I would suggest Sentinels of the Multiverse for you. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is about stringing together the abilities of your team into combos for the best effect. While it does feel that you are managing a team of heroes, it does not really feel that you are pulling off specific powers, but rather specific EFFECTS. Still a great game for me, as it feels like the Avengers movie where you draft the good guys and try to foil a scheme by the bad guy. Sentinels seems to focus on a specific battle, and is also on my radar since it looks to be fun as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
rdsmith wrote:

Thanks all.

I would suggest Sentinels of the Multiverse for you. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is about stringing together the abilities of your team into combos for the best effect. While it does feel that you are managing a team of heroes, it does not really feel that you are pulling off specific powers, but rather specific EFFECTS. Still a great game for me, as it feels like the Avengers movie where you draft the good guys and try to foil a scheme by the bad guy. Sentinels seems to focus on a specific battle, and is also on my radar since it looks to be fun as well!

Thanks, freddieyu! Yeah, I've been looking at Sentinels for a long time. It has a large following and it surely fits that bill. I'm just reeeally turned off by its art.

I just found, and I'm fully backing, a new Kickstarter of Super Powers, 2nd edition. Joe Magic has a good track record in my book, and I much prefer the CG art style to that of SotM. In SP (although somewhat abstractly), the super powers matter! And the 2nd edition improvements make this a hit for me (I hope).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rdsmith wrote:

Did you ever play OverPower back in the day? It had its flaws, but I think of everything (Vs., Ultimate Battles, etc.) that one had the best feeling of "using the hero's powers."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
rdsmith wrote:

Thanks all.

Thanks, freddieyu! Yeah, I've been looking at Sentinels for a long time. It has a large following and it surely fits that bill. I'm just reeeally turned off by its art.

I just found, and I'm fully backing, a new Kickstarter of Super Powers, 2nd edition. Joe Magic has a good track record in my book, and I much prefer the CG art style to that of SotM. In SP (although somewhat abstractly), the super powers matter! And the 2nd edition improvements make this a hit for me (I hope).

I used to hate the art in Sentinels too but, after you play it for a while and become accustomed to all the characters and the rich universe, all of a sudden the art doesn't seem nearly as bad as it once did. You really need to experience Sentinels if you haven't yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
rdsmith wrote:

Did you ever play OverPower back in the day? It had its flaws, but I think of everything (Vs., Ultimate Battles, etc.) that one had the best feeling of "using the hero's powers."

Thanks for the OverPower suggestion, but yeah, upon its release I gave it a go at Origins, and was not impressed. The biggest negatives I can remember are it being a CCG and the distorted artwork. Although the play was okay, it didn't grab me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.