Hide
2 Posts

Paths of Glory» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Unorthodox strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Apan Arne
msg tools
We've played a ton of games and most ends up in largely the same way. What are some alternative fancy/exciting strategies that you usually don't see that might still have some degree of success?

For example, when CP turns his eye on Russia and goes passive on other fronts, AP focuses a ton on the balkans, sending an italian army to the balkans, playing salanoika + orient army, romania etc to give a killing blow to the austrians.

Basically something that might suprise a seasoned opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough call. The seasoned opponents have seen the different variations from the best strategies. You'd probably have to try something risky and/or less optimal to surprise anyone. This isn't innovative by any stretch, but it worked nicely...

I won a game in Limited War against a more seasoned opponent by attacking Gallipoli with MEF1 + 2 BrC. My opponent was probably goading me into wasting my 5 ops (italy/romania) by only putting 2 corp in Gallipoli (but he did have an Austrian army in the Balkans). I went ahead and obliged, activate MEF1+2BrC for 5 Ops, and rolled great (and he poorly). I took Gallipoli and eventually Constantinople (w/my other 5 Ops). It cost me though as Kemal made an appearance in the battle of Constantinople (he had it all along). And the Austrian army retook Gallipoli. So I knew I couldn't resupply with Brits..and would likely lose Constantinople before end of turn to massed Ge and Bu corps at the border. But in the interim I got CAU out while my OOS corps in Constantinople kept rolling great...holding on, action after action. The CAU was then able to put most of a frozen Turkey OOS before Constantinople was retaken. With most of Turkey attritioned, the Russians plus the Brits in the Basra/PortSaid (who could now SR up towards Constantinople) were able to eventually retake Constantinople permanently.

Cost me a ton of Ops (and needed lucky die rolls)...but got me an auto-victory in Limited War. Woohoo. My most memorable victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.