United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry for 2 player print and play contest
Clash of Blades
A Sword-Fighting Card Game
EDIT3: Latest rules text and a folder full of everything you'll want

Okay, so I've not been on BGG very much, but this contest has sucked me in. I have had this idea spinning around for a while, and it's time to get it realised, and making it a print and play seems like a good way to do that.*

Clash of Blades is an expandable card game where the primary resource is time. Everything you do takes a certain number of turns during which you can do nothing else.
The aim is to reduce your foe from 20 stamina to 0.

Each player has a deck of cards, from which they draw a hand of 7 cards.
They take turns simultaneously, and whenever one of them has no move (card) in play, they play a new move, and draw a replacement card.
If they both have nothing in play, as happens at the beginning of the game, they play their moves face down, and then reveal them.
If they both have something in play, they just tick on to the next turn.

At this point I should probably take a step back, and explain the nature of the cards.

The Cards
The cards come in three main types, which have something of a rock-paper-scissors relationship:
Strikes:
Slashing Cut ⌚4 ↻1
Strike - Slash
Deal 2 damage.

⌚4 is the "delay": the number of turns after the card is played before it does anything.
↻1 is the "recovery": the number of turns after the card does its thing before you can play a new card.
The fact that the card is a Slash only matters if something else checks.
"Deal 2 damage" means "decrease your opponent's stamina by 2"

Defences:
Block ⌚3 ↻0
Defence - Parry
Parry foe’s current strike.

Parrying a strike stops it doing anything. That strike immediately moves into its "recovery" period.

And Maneuvers:
Breather ⌚3 ↻1
Maneuver - Recovery
If you've taken no damage during Breathers delay, gain 2 stamina

At this point, I hope this card will be readable.
Not all Maneuvers are non-functional if you get hit by a strike; however they're almost always a good thing to do if you know your opponent is defending, as they're unaffected by the opponents defence.

Tracking Turns
Every move takes multiple turns to occur. This means that tracking turns is very important.
I recommend tracking turns in terms of how many are left until a given move resolves/recovers. The best method I've got for doing this is a sheet of paper with a turn tracker on it, and moving the cards along the tracker as the turns tick past.

*I'd love to make a proper printed version someday, but really what I want most is for people to play it and enjoy it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] [2P PNP Design Contest] Clash of Steel
An update: I've got a cardset ready to try out.

Prints are available

Decklists can be accessed on Google Drive.
It's designed to be played with two basic decks of 36 cards, the decklists are in the linked document

But I want it to work when customised, or when a deck is played against itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the rules for deck-building? Because personally I'd just spam Sudden Strike over and over. It's faster than everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going with a four-of rule for now, because it's familiar, and allowing unlimited copies is just asking for the game to be easily broken.

Minimum self-built deck size is probably going to be either 40 or 50. The decks are 36 cards at present because I'm working on the simpler sections first, and trying to make them functional, before adding extra layers of complexity.

However, I am considering doing some playtesting without those rules, to make it easier to pinpoint the problem cards.

Note that your deck of all Sudden Strikes would be easily beaten by a deck of all Hefty Blows, as your deck has a 1:3 damage:time ratio, taking 58 ticks to win, while that would have a 4:7 ratio, taking 35 ticks to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have updated the printing template for the cards, new one is available here: http://tinyurl.com/abso6v5

It's in PDF format, so that it holds the images in place properly.

Each card now has symbols at the top to indicate its cardtype.
A playtester I managed to recruit mentioned that sorting through their hand to find the right card type was slowing the game down, hopefully this will help.

The card lists for the two basic decks are still available here: http://tinyurl.com/a25fgdm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A basic sheet for tracking turns: http://tinyurl.com/b3qw93v

I should have a proper ruleset up later today, and will edit the opening post hopefully.

EDIT: a draft rules sheet: http://tinyurl.com/auuq865

EDIT2: Is it a good idea to add arrows to indicate where the card lines up?

I've been lining them up with the edges previously, but someone suggested this would be clearer.

EDIT3: Have updated the prints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] [2P PNP Design Contest] Clash of Steel [alpha playtesting]
Have updated several parts, including the rules sheet, the card sheet and the decklist (have replaced the card Fancy Footwork with a simpler card Sly Cut; as Fancy Footwork, while relatively simple in terms of rules, is too tactically fiddly to belong in the most basic level of play)

EDIT: Should probably say what Fancy Footwork does: It takes two turns, and makes your next move take one less turn. Which seems kind of useless, and often is, but can give a massive tactical advantage by forcing your enemy to pick a move before you.
It's rubbish in the hands of a beginner, and I'm not even sure whether or not it's good for an expert (as there aren't any true experts), but certainly having 4 of them in the base level of the game isn't appropriate.

EDIT2: I've got some art for use on the cards, though I'm probably not going to do much prettifying before I get some more playtesting feedback. Don't want to waste ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] [2P PNP Design Contest] Clash of Steel [alpha playtesting]
Okay, I've done so more work on the template, and a bit more playtesting. So, here's the links:
Decklists, a print-ready card template and a full set of individual images

The only card replacement this time is Tough it Out becoming Tough as Nails, and fixing a few typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] [2P PNP Design Contest] Clash of Blades [alpha playtesting]
A question for those reading this: I'm considering adding in an extra property for strikes (high, low or (n)either) which allows extra complexity in defences. I'm just not sure if it's worthwhile.

Does it seem like it would help reinforce the theme? Or damage it through adding unnecessary information?

EDIT: For reasons of recognisability (there are a surprising number of games named Clash of Steel) I've altered the name to Clash of Blades. I suspect it's early enough that this won't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coffey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] [2P PNP Design Contest] Clash of Blades [alpha playtesting]
I've done a lot of edits and similar, and have a new version of Clash of Blades up.

You can find all the files in this folder; including individual card images, in case you wish to build your own custom decks [or print in a manner that doesn't fit the templates given]

-----
I'm also running a blog discussing the design process of Clash of Blades for anyone who feels interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.