Subject: Expansion Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff H

Greeneville
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Munchkin this past weekend and have played a few games with my boys (9 and almost 11). They LOVE the game. They ask to play daily. I enjoy the game but as much as they have been asking to play, I can see myself getting burned out quickly. Thought I would pick up a few expansions or different versions of the game but wasn't really sure what to get first. I have a little credit at Amazon and figured I would use it for this purpose. So what does everyone recommend? Pick up the expansions? Try different versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Reality
Spain
flag msg tools
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
badge
We'll toss the dice however they fall, And snuggle the girls be they short or tall, Then follow young Mat whenever he calls, To dance with Jak o' the Shadows.
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions don't add that much to the game other than more cards. Some of them are better than the others, though. I have all the expansions up to 7, and the ones I'd keep are 7, 2 and 5, probably in that order.

Expansion 7 adds some unique interesting cards, and duplicates of other cards I like from the previous expansions
Expansions 2 & 5 add the Orc race and Ranger class, which I like, and some more cards to make the deck thicker (which is good to this extent, but with all the expansions it's just too much)
Expansions 3 & 4 didn't seem all that good to me (It's just more of the same, and the new races & classes didn't do it for me)
Expansion 6 just makes the game more convoluted with little enjoyment gain

Away from the expansions, I've played Super Munchkin and Munchkin Chtulhu. I didn't really like the first but found the other on par with the original or even a little funnier (and that's coming from someone not really into the Mythos). I don't really recommend mixing different sets, though.

And, finally, I haven't played Munchkin Quest, but it seems an interesting "upgrade" from the original Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you said, I would say before you buy expansions, try one of the other themes and go get Star Munchkin. You and your boys should get a kick out of the sci-fi jokes, and honestly, who doesn't want to play with a Bananafanafofaser!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'll save you a seat at the table!
mbmbmbmbmb
It really comes down to what genres you like.

Personally, I find the orginal genre has the best cards/puns. So I bought 1-7, including the Deluxe, with all the Holiday expansions (for fun).

The other more important considerations is if you buy the expansions of the same set you will have a deep and diverse gameplay. cool

If you buy the multiple sets, mixing them only dilutes the game with many cards not interacting. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camille Johnson
United States
Simms
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would do well to give Star Munchkin a try. If you and your family like Star Wars, Star Trek or other sci-fi movies then you'll have a good time with the jokes in Star Munchkin. There is also a reasonably priced booster pack that adds space ships to the game.

Munchkin Cthulhu has a different feel because the Cultist class adds some new rules and strategy. You might appreciate this new twist to keep replay interesting, but I haven't read any Lovecraft, so I didn't get all of the jokes. I enjoy Star Munchkin more because I can relate to the jokes and references.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C
United States
Sherwood
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally Like, Base munchkin with Need For Steed & Demented Dungeons, I think it makes for a great fun party game.

Also Munchin Apocolypse is fantastic by iteself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
For the base game:

Munchkin 1-4 work pretty good together and add interesting side kick and "mount" options

Our favorite spin off is:

Star Munchkin 1-2 This is by far the best Munchkin spin-off. The Lazer-tazer-banana-fana-fo-fazer is awesome and room cards bring a much needed variety.

We do not recommend:

Munchkin Fu this is probably the worst Munchkin spin off

Mixing them together, the nice thing about each seperate spin off is that (I believe) they carefully put enough races/classes per class/race specific items. Mixing sets hurts this probability badly and the Super Munchkin or mixer rules don't help much in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Furious
msg tools
I know this post is old, but I'm going to reply for newer people with the same question. I highly recommend not adding any expansions to the base game because it really dilutes the deck. I had planned on adding just one and seeing how it went, but I got a really good deal on both Munchkin 2 and 3 so I got both and put them in, but the deck was so large I had to split into two parts to shuffle it and it was just too bloated. When we played with just the base set, players would almost always get a race and a class so when you drew treasure that you couldn't use, there was almost always someone you could trade it with for something you could use. There was almost always someone that was a Thief and someone that was a Wizard, ect. You had the Thief player trying to steal stuff all the time and the Clerics getting a level when Divine Intervention was drawn. With the expansions in, that didn't happen nearly as much. We would often draw treasure that we couldn't use, but there was no one to trade with because no one was that particular class or race. I took out Munchkin 3 a while back and sold it on eBay and that helped a lot, but still, even with just the one expansion in it, that problem remains. The last game I played, I got three treasures for killing a monster, each one was restricted to a different race or class and none of which that I could use or trade because no one was any of those races or classes. When we were first playing, it was really cool to be the Wizard and getting the Wizard's pointy hat and the Staff of Napalm and Wizard robes, but since I added expansions to the game, no one even draws a Wizard card at all. I just took out Munchkin 2 and I'm probably going to eBay it like the others.

I had also added the Munchkinomicon and the Fairy Dust boosters at one point but the Munchkinomicon, which was fun at first, resulted in players filling up their hands too much and stalling the game when you had to wait for players to discard cards and the Fairy Dust booster was useless because it didn't prompt people to help each other out like I thought it would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.