Subject: Actions Mentioning the number "1" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So for cards like Eowyn where she has an action that says 'discard 1 card to add 1 Willpower' and Longbeard Map-Maker who can 'use one resource to add 1 willpower,' it seems a lot of people are using this to add 2+ Willpower if they want to by discarded two cards for example. Is this correct?

I would have thought if that was the meaning of the card, the '1' would have been replaced with an 'X.' Anyone know if this has been addressed? Couldn't find anything out there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it says, "discard 1 card", then that's all you can discard (and I believe in Eowyn's case, it's each player may do this). If it allowed X number of cards, then it would say, "discard X number of card(s) and gain X number of Willpower," or it would say, "for each card discarded, gain 1 Willpower."

So no, you may not discard any number of the cost to gain the reward unless is specifically states that the action is repeatable.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Onkes
Germany
Norden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so shnar. You can repeat this action as often as you want (and are able to pay for it) as long it's not restricted. Example is "Protector of Lorien" Action: Discard a card from your hand to give attached hero +1 or +1 until the end of the phase. Limit 3 times per phase.

Edited for typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless otherwise stated on the card, actions can be triggered multiple times. For Eowyn it states each player my trigger it once, so two players could discard a card for plus two willpower. With the Map Maker there is no limit stated on the card. If you had six lore resources all six of them could be used to increase his willpower.

In order to trigger an action, the cost must be paid each time you want to trigger it, whether that is paying resources, exhausting a card, discarding cards etc. That is one reason they errated Beravor, because with one or two unexpected courage cards attached she could draw four to six cards a turn.

Edit: you beat me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note also that Protector of Lorien is errata'd to have a limit of 3 times (per round) in the FAQ. A couple other pertinent items from the FAQ:

Quote:
(1.08) Responses per Trigger
If a response or forced response is triggered, the effect can only occur once per trigger.

Quote:
(1.10) Limitations on Actions
Actions are only limited by whether or not a player can pay the cost of the action, or by built in limitations on the card itself, such as “limit once per round.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.