Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing my first game today and I have a couple of questions regarding Holding Zones 5 and 6:

1. When an activated Strosstrupp appears in one of the Holding Zones, does it ever enter gameplay, and if so, how?

2. Section 15.2 of the rules states that Commando's can be exited into land Holding Zones - how is this done?

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
It costs 3 movement points to enter or exit a Holding Zone, so the Strosstrupps will need to have 3 MPs available - that will depend on the German movement number for the turn in question. For example, on a movement roll of '1', all 4 and 6 strength strosstruppen will be able to exit the holding zones.

Similarly, the commandos need 3 MPs to exit to a holding zone, and can do this during the British land movement phase. Note that a reduced commando (i.e. 3 strength or less) is unable to do so, as a reduced unit has a maximum of 2 MPs.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Cheers for explaining that - thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I always wondered if the brits can exit the holding zones if german units are there. I played they could but was never really sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is still a question regarding Holding Zones 5 & 6. For example when the German Movement die roll is 1 and you have a Stosstrupp with a strength of 2 it is not able to make the first move out of a Holding Zone because there are 3 movement points needed and it has only 2.

So what does this Strosstrupp? Waiting until it can merge with another Stosstrupp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
habchr wrote:
So what does this Strosstrupp? Waiting until it can merge with another Stosstrupp?

Exactly - it waits. It's not unusual to have a 2 strength Strosstrupp hanging around for a few turns to team up with a 2 or 4 and enter in the subsequent turn.

I agree that the British can exit if there are Germans in the holding area in question (I think this instance was addressed in an article in the General's Raid on StN issue). I also play that fire attacks can occur in the holding zones, as they are referred to as 'areas' in the rules and fire attacks are permitted within an area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is pretty clear: 3.1. says that units in holding zones (zones, not areas!) have no effect on movement/fire in connecting areas. So exit into 5 & 6 is not a problem.
It is not clear how the rule must be applied the other way round: Can a commando unit in a connecting area hold all German forces in a holding zone at bay and prohibiting their entering the game? By the rules as written they can, and that's the way I play it. Anyway, the problem should occur quite seldom, but the mental image of a commando unit holding off several Germans until other commandos have arrived and they break out together is intriguing.
Since Holding zones are not areas, after all, I do not allow combat there. This also seems appropriate since they each represent a large area of the town, and also rule 15.2 says ""Score .1 VP for each commando section exited into holding zones 5 or 6". I read this that entering the holding zone means exiting the game immediately.
I could not find any reference to the problem in General #24/4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it like Lutz does, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.