Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
307 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Runebound PBF #11 - Discussion of the Noobs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be a 4 player game. I am going to try to actively recruit some new members, so game will not start until tmrw sometime, possibly over the weekend. Anyone who has played a rb pbf already can post here to be added to the wait list - we very well might need you!

Game thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/911381
Autoplay commands: http://careyj.com/runebound/
Automation thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/907109 - for house rules and checking if suspecting server problems.
Official rules: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Runebound/rune...

The included items and challenges expansions were a bit of a mix, and I excluded a few somewhat randomly, without any good reason. Same for the hero deck. This game does include Traps and Terrors and Rituals and Runes because I like the variety they bring.

Every player will draw 3 heroes to choose from. Any player can declare they are discarding their initial set of 3 heroes if dissatisfied, and then draw 3 new ones; this can only be done once, and player must choose from the new 3.

Edit:
Technical details

There are not a lot of rules to know. If you ever unsure what to do, post in this thread in order to keep the game thread separate from housekeeping and digressions.

On the game thread, submit commands on new posts. Edited posts are ignored by the scripting server. Multiple commands can be submitted on a single post and are processed in order starting at the top.

There are a few conventions that have proved to be helpful. See PBFs 9 and 10 for examples.
* when moving, indicate what terrain type is being moved into, and what die (or ability) allows that.
* for combat, edit the same post repeatedly, adding new lines for each phase and round of the fight. That way, each encounter is kept on a single post.
* mark the end of your turn with something like a bold END OF TURN, to make it clear to the next player that they're up.

We're aiming for at least one move per person per day. If you won't be able to make a move for more than a day due to other obligations, as a courtesy please post something in this thread.

I hope you enjoy the Runebound server as much as I have! (Thanks to GilgaTex!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested. I was watching "Who says you cannot play with six" since the beginning and it seems like a lot of fun. And I don't have Rituals and Runes and Traps and Terrors so I'm interested to see them in action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend letting the players draw their own three player cards. They have to setplayercard anyway. It's a little less confusing than the way Kevin did it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Ghost Armor came up in the market. It is broken as is, but I think 3 fatigue per round is too high when compared to Charmer Flute (which costs 9 and takes 1 fatigue for 1 round).

Would like some feedback on these options:

1) remove from deck.
2) 1 fatigue for first round, 3 for subsequent rounds.
3) Charmer Flute is 3 fatigue, Ghost Armor is 3 fatigue per round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
I'm interested. I was watching "Who says you cannot play with six" since the beginning and it seems like a lot of fun. And I don't have Rituals and Runes and Traps and Terrors so I'm interested to see them in action.

Awesome, keep watching for the kickoff, which will occur when we get 4 or, if that starts to drag, prob late afternoon tmrw.

2/4 slots filled.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
I'd recommend letting the players draw their own three player cards. They have to setplayercard anyway. It's a little less confusing than the way Kevin did it.

Thanks good point. I updated the post.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mishu Gashu
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
► Cast Fire? ◄
badge
► Cast Fire? ◄
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to be on the wait list I love playing, but I'm pretty sure I've only missed 2 PBF games on here (but won none ), so I'm not exactly "new".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to put myself on the waiting list, but I'm moving on Saturday and starting a new job on Monday, so probably not the best idea
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to join the wait list - I've not tried a scripted game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played RB by forum before (or any actual game for that matter). But I'd be interested in giving it a go
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
I haven't played RB by forum before (or any actual game for that matter). But I'd be interested in giving it a go

great - You're in!

[Filled 3/4]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm going to start this tmrw am, approx 10:30 NY time. If we get one more noob before then, that will be great. If not, we'll take one off the waiting list.

Edit: Mishu, i guess you're first off the list if it comes to that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
i'm going to start this tmrw am, approx 10:30 NY time. If we get one more noob before then, that will be great. If not, we'll take one off the waiting list.

Edit: Mishu, i guess you're first off the list if it comes to that?


Personally, I'd give Chris the opportunity. He's played one PBF game and never with the script. Mishu has played 9 . Oops 8

Plus Mishu is going to be 2-player testing the new Island of Dread variant with me.

I can guarantee you he'd be fine with this (he's my brother, I know him)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
SirWashington wrote:
i'm going to start this tmrw am, approx 10:30 NY time. If we get one more noob before then, that will be great. If not, we'll take one off the waiting list.

Edit: Mishu, i guess you're first off the list if it comes to that?


Personally, I'd give Chris the opportunity. He's played one PBF game and never with the script. Mishu has played 9 .

Plus Mishu is going to be 2-player testing the new Island of Dread variant with me.

I can guarantee you he'd be fine with this (he's my brother, I know him)

Very generous of you guys.

Chris, you are in then. 4 of 4 filled. He's the scripting game noob, and I'm the admin noob.

I'm going to the game thread to set the players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
I see Ghost Armor came up in the market. It is broken as is, but I think 3 fatigue per round is too high when compared to Charmer Flute (which costs 9 and takes 1 fatigue for 1 round).

Would like some feedback on these options:

1) remove from deck.
2) 1 fatigue for first round, 3 for subsequent rounds.
3) Charmer Flute is 3 fatigue, Ghost Armor is 3 fatigue per round.

We have this final issue to resolve before start (and need to resolve before people draw heroes). Any thoughts? If no one has an opinion in the next few minutes, I'm going to do something slightly different but slightly more complicated (this will be like a playtest of it).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, maybe should have hashed this out prior, but in the interest of getting the game going, the following house rule will apply for Charmer Flute and Ghost Armor:

* Charmer Flute - takes 2 fatigue to activate (lasts 1 round).
* Ghost Armor - takes 2 fatigue to activate round 1, 3 fatigue for round 2, 4 fatigue for round 3, etc. Basically, it's [round # + 1] for each round. I don't have a good idea for how high someone's fatigue could go, so it scales.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
So, maybe should have hashed this out prior, but in the interest of getting the game going, the following house rule will apply for Charmer Flute and Ghost Armor:

* Charmer Flute - takes 2 fatigue to activate (lasts 1 round).
* Ghost Armor - takes 2 fatigue to activate round 1, 3 fatigue for round 2, 4 fatigue for round 3, etc. Basically, it's [round # + 1] for each round. I don't have a good idea for how high someone's fatigue could go, so it scales.


The average character has 4 fatigue, but the problem is that stamina is cheap. You get 2 stamina per stamina experience level. Your proposal will give people 3 rounds of invincibility, or 5 after just one exp level.

The problem we had with Ghost Armor in game 2 is it pretty much ended the game when Kevin got it. He had barely started blues, and he just got a stamina level, went to the end boss, made himself invincible for 6 turns, and killed the boss in 4.

That's why we did 3 stamina per round. It's still possible to make it impossible to lose on the end boss, but you have to work for it more.

Charmer flute is not nearly as valuable because it can only work 1 round. That's why we didn't change anything about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree, and 3 stamina is very similar to what I have. After 3 rounds, it would be 9 stamina in both methods. It is slightly cheaper in my method - 5 stamina for 2 rounds. Does that make sense?

Sorry if that isn't clear - it's [round # + 1] for each round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
Yes, I agree, and 3 stamina is very similar to what I have. After 3 rounds, it would be 9 stamina in both methods. It is slightly cheaper in my method - 5 stamina for 2 rounds. Does that make sense?

Sorry if that isn't clear - it's [round # + 1] for each round.


Oh cumulative, I think I like that better than flat 3. That makes it really difficult to get to 4+ rounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So rounds/stamina to spend would be:

1/2
2/5
3/9
4/14
5/no one will ever get that high
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
That makes it really difficult to get to 4+ rounds.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hello, players. You can follow my example to draw three potential heroes, then setplayer to choose one. if you don't like any of the 3, draw 3 new ones, but you must choose from the second set of 3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
So rounds/stamina to spend would be:

1/2
2/5
3/9
4/14
5/no one will ever get that high

exactly. i should have just posted this chart to make it clearer.

Question about Tobin Farslayer's Before Combat (even though i didn't choose him). It explicitly says does 1 wound if successfully, overriding the 2 wounds that he normally does. If you had equipped him with something that does extra range damage, would he still do only 1 wound in BC?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it says you do 1 wound, so you do 1 wound. Before combat attacks are more like tests, which is why you don't take damage if you fail.

Also, I'm not aware of any ranged weapon that is an always-on + to damage all the time. Usually it's limited to the ranged phase only.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.