Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* - Lives are not at stake.

Okay, after Christmas I'll likely have some mad cash lying around, and I have my eye on Runebound 2e. Your mission is thusly: TALK ME OUT OF IT.

It looks like fun. I know there's some downtime in it, which is fine. I don't want other games suggested, I just want reasons NOT to buy Runebound 2e.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter what you've heard, the box for Runebound definitely will not fit in your pants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's heavily luck-based. Very bright and shiny at first, but once you've seen all the cards, the theme isn't strong enough to keep you going. It's too much of a solitaire game with few players, and way too long with many players.

That's my attempt. I actually enjoy Runebound quite a bit, but I could nitpick more if you want me to talk you out of it ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after reading Tom Vasal's review, I saw that Runebound would have a lot of downtime if you had more than, say, 3 players.

That is the thing which keeps stopping me from getting it.

Plus, if I got it, I'd *have* to get every expansion coming out, and nobody wants that, do we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To really enjoy it you need to paint the figures and you HATE painting! Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Runebound has no wicker baskets, nor does it have Jingles the BGG Pony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Parker
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I'd be happy to tae a stab at talking you out of Runebound...

When the game is brand new, it is interesting (not gripping or exciting, just interesting) when it is your turn. What is going on in the game is almost entirely irrelevant when it is not your turn, and short of attacking other players (which takes forever in itself), there's really no interaction between players.

There's really not a whole lot on the line in any encounter. You're almost certain to win most encounters, and even if you lose, you aren't really penalized in any fashion.

Once you've played through the game 2-3 times, all strategy becomes obvious and so then the game is dull even when it is your turn. Will you get to buy Sir Gareth the Black before another player does? I hope this kind of question is REALLY exciting to you, since this is honestly the only drama in the game after a few plays.

In short, I'm a roleplayer, and even I really don't like playing this game. If there was a way to rent this game, I'd recommend doing so as it is fun once or twice with 2-3 players.

You've said not to recommend alternatives, and so I won't mention games like Dungeoneer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Agoura Hills
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is planning on releasing the 3rd edition next quarter and all the new expansions will not be backwards compatible?

Or maybe *cough*checkoutworldofwarcraft*cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I just want reasons NOT to buy Runebound 2e.

The coming expansions. Lots of them. Many $$$ to spend on a single mediocre game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'll give you a dollar if you dont get it.*

Spoiler (click to reveal)
*-pfft, yeah right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll kill a cat if you buy it.

(just so that your title is not a complete lie)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes a very long time. It has taken most of the day every time I play it and there are only two or three players. Sometimes, at least this is what my husband says, there is a run away leader.

Then again, I think this was fixed with the second edition and I didn't know it had a run away leader problem in the first place. The second edition has neat little figures instead of little boards with the characters pictures. The main goal is for one character defeats Lord Morgath. If this goal gets old, there are new expansions that add new goals. I haven't play any of the expansions though.

Oh, wait . . . that doesn't help either. Nevermind. I really like this game. But it does take a really long time. I haven't had a chance to play in long time because how long this game takes to play.

Edit: Oh, if it helps . . . I'm the one that has never played Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound shat in my stew. I had to throw half of it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayMulford wrote:
Runebound once bit my sister.

And Runebound bites are pretty nasty! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Runebound may cause dizziness, nausea, abnormal swellings, dryness of mouth, mood swings, dandruff and elevated use of wicker baskets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The name is actually a subliminal message set in by the devil worshiping, Nazi, cannibal, warlocks that created the game. Emblazoned on the box cover is an ancient Chinese Rune that actually binds you to the game. Henceforth you will buy everything released for Runebound and never play another game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get World of Warcraft instead. It has a 30-turn limit, MUCH deeper character development, no weird movement rules to figure out, a genuine PVP combat resolution possibility, TONS of great plastic minis, and is an all-around better version of what Runebound tries to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cherry
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want to get out of your jam on the cheap, I'll trade you my once-played copy of Runebound 1st ed for something you don't want from your collection, as long as it is in good condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game with four other people and it was fun, but I was quickly bored with the downtime.

However, we later played their Descent game and that was TONS of FUN! That's the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do sympathise....

.... There is nothing worse than being Prunebound. cry
You expect Prunes to help you in that respect, but if they have the reverse effect then you will need a more powerful laxative.... like say being forced to play Risk. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, that was a good job done. It was probably that business with the stew that finally convinced me. Don't nobody mess with my stew.

I don't know much about World of Warcraft and Descent is WAY more than I'm gonna pay for a board game, so that's out. Now I'm leaning towards Dungeon Twister, though a friend of mine already has it. I might borrow that from him, see if the wife likes it, and if so, go with that.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister might not scratch the "Dungeon Crawl" itch for you as it really is more similar to a game like chess than it is to Runebound or Descent. I know you think Descent is expensive, but it's the most fun I've had playing a "Dungeon Crawl" in years (Doom, it's cousin, is a lot of fun as well). Well worth the price. Check out the on-line retailers and take advantage of a free shipping offer to lower the price if you can't afford to buy it from your FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason why I initially got Runebound was because I thought my wife would like it. She did...a lot. That, and I knew that FFG were going to have lots of expansions for it to keep it fresh.

From what I know, Dungeon Twister is an abstract game with a dungeon crawl theme applied.

Go with your gut. Go with Runebound. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erm dungeon twister and runebound borth attreact me too but erm CAVE troll ive seen this in the shops.

im a roleplayer

i think my girlfriend is ready tograduate to none gatewaygames just
shes nto yet roleplayed not the time or the players but we some time have a game night and i think the crowd woudl liek some thine erm hero quest ish
so

runebound or cavetroll for my money sorry to hi jack this thread but it will keep a similar topic alive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.