Subject: $1 Trillion Coin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
"The idea has been raised of putting a $1 trillion coin in the Fed's vaults — which in theory, at least, would mean the government has more money available to borrow against and won't bump up against its debt ceiling."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/10/169020387/cra...

If you have ever been tempted to do just one robbery in your lifetime, this would be it. Although cashing it might be a problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sure I would accidentally use it in a vending machine or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
damiangerous wrote:

That would make for a great comedy movie. I'm thinking Jim Carrey or Mike Birbiglia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Shushnik wrote:
tesuji wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

That would make for a great comedy movie. I'm thinking Jim Carrey or Mike Birbiglia.

There is a gigantic chasm between our definitions of "great", apparently.

I see a plot like this:

1. Through an unlikely series of events, janitor-flunky Jim Carrey unknowingly ends up with the trillion coin by mistake.
2. Just as he inserts it into a vending machine, he realizes what it is.
3. (insert plot complications here, combined with increasingly high personal stakes for the janitor, and villains who want the coin for themselves)
4. Hilarity ensues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Am I right in thinking that this is basically just quantitative easing?

And won't flooding the economy with an extra TRILLION dollars cause a massive devaluation in the currency?

It's not like the usd is particularly strong as it is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
Am I right in thinking that this is basically just quantitative easing?

And won't flooding the economy with an extra TRILLION dollars cause a massive devaluation in the currency?

It's not like the usd is particularly strong as it is...

Not really. The basic idea is:

1.) Mint coin
2.) Immediately deposit coin at the Fed
3.) Fed issues treasury bonds as new debt is required by US government

It's basically an accounting trick to allow the government to continue issuing debt to fund ongoing operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
And why wouldn't we want to do that. Free money, right?

Your entire economy depends on people believing that you will pay your debts. When you start refusing to pay your debts, then people will figure your debt is higher risk - and then you really will be in the same boat as Greece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Your entire economy depends on people believing that you will pay your debts. When you start refusing to pay your debts, then people will figure your debt is higher risk - and then you really will be in the same boat as Greece.

When you start running debt at levels it would take your GDP years of full devotion to that debt just to get back in balance, you also run a significant risk of having people figure out that you're not going to pay it back. Perhaps we should stop approaching that point.

Actually, I think having a legislature constantly on the brink of refusing to pay the nation's debts does more to make people think we're not going to pay our debts than an increasing debt level does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

I see a plot like this:

1. Through an unlikely series of events, janitor-flunky Jim Carrey unknowingly ends up with the trillion coin by mistake.
2. Just as he inserts it into a vending machine, he realizes what it is.
3. (insert plot complications here, combined with increasingly high personal stakes for the janitor, and villains who want the coin for themselves)
4. Hilarity ensues

It's literature too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Pound_Bank_Note

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Million Pound Bank Note triggered this true story. Years ago a fella I knew brought a solid silver ingot into my clothing store and jokingly asked if I had change. It was inscribed 99.999 Pure Silver 100 Tr. Oz.

We passed it around and the last employee held it in both hands and read the inscription aloud. "Ninety-nine point nine nine nine pure silver. One hundred trillion ounces."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

When you start running debt at levels it would take your GDP years of full devotion to that debt just to get back in balance, you also run a significant risk of having people figure out that you're not going to pay it back. Perhaps we should stop approaching that point.

Actually, I think having a legislature constantly on the brink of refusing to pay the nation's debts does more to make people think we're not going to pay our debts than an increasing debt level does.

We don't have a legislature constantly on the brink of refusing to pay our nation's debts. We have a legislature on the bring of refusing to allow us to accumulate more debt.

The debt ceiling is about borrowing money to pay the bills for things Congress has already approved - things we have already bought on credit. By threatening to refuse to allow such borrowing, Congress is effectively threatening not to pay our existing bills.

It is perfectly appropriate to have a discussion about reining in spending so we're not buying so much on credit and having to borrow more to pay for it. It is not appropriate to refuse to pay for things we've already bought in an effort to gain leverage in that discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Sigh. It's going to be a long year in politics. I'm going to try to start tuning out, I hate to admit...

Three New 'Cliffs' Threaten The Economy
http://www.npr.org/2013/01/10/168984819/three-new-cliffs-thr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
People have suggested that the $1 trillion coin bear Obama's portrait, but that would be illegal in the US (since only dead people can get their pictures on coins and stamps). The obvious choice is Reagan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

We don't have a legislature constantly on the brink of refusing to pay our nation's debts. We have a legislature on the bring of refusing to allow us to accumulate more debt.

The debt ceiling is about borrowing money to pay the bills for things Congress has already approved - things we have already bought on credit. By threatening to refuse to allow such borrowing, Congress is effectively threatening not to pay our existing bills.

It is perfectly appropriate to have a discussion about reining in spending so we're not buying so much on credit and having to borrow more to pay for it. It is not appropriate to refuse to pay for things we've already bought in an effort to gain leverage in that discussion.

There are plenty of other things that Congress could do in order to avoid defaulting on debt payments other than going deeper into debt. The debt ceiling is a great way to force that issue, so we start spending within our means.

We have to pay the bills. What are the other options? How does brinksmanship over the debt ceiling get the bills paid? How does it "force the issue" on future appropriations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

No, we have a legislature well past the brink of acting responsibly and doing the job there were elected to do.

It's just one big fracking realty show that makes Honey BooBoo look like reincarnation of Marie Curie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
People have suggested that the $1 trillion coin bear Obama's portrait, but that would be illegal in the US (since only dead people can get their pictures on coins and stamps). The obvious choice is Reagan.

Or maybe a portrait representing common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go full troll, put Keynes on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
We have to pay the bills. What are the other options? How does brinksmanship over the debt ceiling get the bills paid? How does it "force the issue" on future appropriations?

We could cut our military spending, cancel all research projects, lay off a bunch of employees in all of the worthless agencies we've got out there, reign in Medicare spending, sell some assets, and many many other things. We could increase taxes significantly and immediately to pay for the spending.

Generational theft like we're currently committing is not the answer. We have to live within our means.

Most of those things address future spending. They don't change the fact that we have incurred the bills for what we've bought to date, and those bills have to be paid.

Shutting down research, selling off assets, even raising taxes dramatically and immediately won't be instantaneous. They won't put the money in the Treasury to cover the existing debts when they have to be paid. (And hey, putting all those government employees out of work suddenly and simultaneously won't help matters much.)

I think there is plenty of room to discuss those things for future planning; I just don't see any way acting "immediately" on any of them pays the current crop of bills.

Analogy time: We've run up a bunch of debt, living beyond our means. We bought a fancy car and a bunch of guns, and we bought Aunt Mabel that respirator she's always had her eye on. Plus food for the kids and a bunch of necessities. And the lawn and laundry and other services we hire for domestic management are costly. Meanwhile, we took a voluntary pay cut so there was less money coming in, and we started a couple of time-consuming and expensive lawsuits against a couple of other families we accused of doing us wrong. Bills are coming due and we have to make sure the money is in the bank. We can take out a loan to cover them, but you're refusing to cosign because you think we shouldn't be spending so much. You say "We can sell the car, we can quit the Gun-of-the-Month Club, we can insist on a big raise, we can fire the lawn guys and the servants, and get cheaper lawyers for those lawsuits, and just not buy so much!" I say "Fine, we can do all those things, and we should definitely talk about it, but right now, we have bills to pay for the things we DID buy; we have car payments, and servant wages; and our income this month is still what it was last month; so how do we avoid defaulting on THOSE debts while we're waiting for the effects of all these drastic changes to kick in?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a portrait of Will Rogers with the inscription "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robigo wrote:

I'm not sure if that's true. I've seen passing mention that it's Federal law that only dead people can be on coins, but the actual law I've been able to dig up only seems to apply that rule to quarters and dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
cancel all research projects

That would be the end of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

We could cut our military spending, cancel all research projects, lay off a bunch of employees in all of the worthless agencies we've got out there, reign in Medicare spending, sell some assets, and many many other things. We could increase taxes significantly and immediately to pay for the spending.

Generational theft like we're currently committing is not the answer. We have to live within our means.

Isn't it generational theft to lower NGDP enough that our children will have lower salaries than they would otherwise? Because enough cuts to balance a budget right now would send us towards a nice recession, barring extraordinary behavior from the fed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, the White House's hands are tied.

Because of the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Act of 1974, the executive branch has no choice but to spend the money which Congress has appropriated- it would be illegal for them to stop paying the bills which Congress has enacted into law.

However, it would also be illegal for them to exceed the debt ceiling.

Therefore, the White House, caught between a statutory Scylla and a statutory Charybdis, has literally no choice but to seek another way to pay the bills, all the bills, without technically exceeding the debt limit. And they are specifically authorized to engage in platinum coin seignorage, so unless and until another proposal with the same effect is cleared, it seems to me their hand is forced.

In any case,

Mint it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Analogy time: We've run up a bunch of debt, living beyond our means. We bought a fancy car and a bunch of guns, and we bought Aunt Mabel that respirator she's always had her eye on. Plus food for the kids and a bunch of necessities. And the lawn and laundry and other services we hire for domestic management are costly. Meanwhile, we took a voluntary pay cut so there was less money coming in, and we started a couple of time-consuming and expensive lawsuits against a couple of other families we accused of doing us wrong. Bills are coming due and we have to make sure the money is in the bank. We can take out a loan to cover them, but you're refusing to cosign because you think we shouldn't be spending so much. You say "We can sell the car, we can quit the Gun-of-the-Month Club, we can insist on a big raise, we can fire the lawn guys and the servants, and get cheaper lawyers for those lawsuits, and just not buy so much!" I say "Fine, we can do all those things, and we should definitely talk about it, but right now, we have bills to pay for the things we DID buy; we have car payments, and servant wages; and our income this month is still what it was last month; so how do we avoid defaulting on THOSE debts while we're waiting for the effects of all these drastic changes to kick in?"

So you're advice to that family would be to get another credit card?

You haven't answered my question: How do they pay the bills that are due right now?

I agree with you that the debt needs to be addressed. But leaving the debt ceiling where it is when the amount of debt subject to the limit is rising above that level is not going to address the debt - it's just going to put us in default of some obligations somewhere, which can have very negative effects on our credit rating.

Given that the debt ceiling has not come close to doing what it's supposed to do - i.e., force the government to "live within its means" - since it was first imposed, there's some question why we even need it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Given that the debt ceiling has not come close to doing what it's supposed to do - i.e., force the government to "live within its means" - since it was first imposed, there's some question why we even need it at all.

Well what the debt ceiling currently does is serve as a tripwire with which to trigger the potential for economic hostage-taking and a Constitutional crisis. I think there is no question that we need it to not exist at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.