Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question - Pursue vs Counter attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vitaly Bogdanov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Lets imagine... Cavalry attacks Infantry which are Stalwart. Roll the dice - one unit is eliminated, no retreat result.
According to rules, Cavalry can pursue and attack again, Infantry can counter attack. Which of this actions is primary? What we have to do first?

If counter attack is first, what does happen if counter attack force to retreat pursuing cavalry?

P.S. Sorry for my English...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If an enemy unit is able to counterattack, this means that it was neither destroyed nor that it has retreated so the cavalry unit wouldn't be able to pursue and attack again.

Vice versa, if the cavalry unit can pursue and attack again, this means that the infantry unit either had to retreat or was eliminated, so it wouldn't be able to counterattack.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, usually units only get to counterattack if they survive.

Except for the zealots in baratheon, which might get eliminated and still get their counterattack. Hmm, will have to check that one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyword: Pursue X may only be used if the target unit of the attack is forced to retreat, or eliminated. It is possible that a Cavalry unit might roll two Morale [flag] results against the defending unit with the Keyword: Stalwart, but that is statistically unlikely.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitaly Bogdanov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmm....
Still unclear...
"an attacking unit has the option to pursue if the target of its attack is eliminated or is forced to retreat"

1) is forced to retreat - clear. If its Stalwart, attacker have to roll 2 Morale at least, cause Stalwart unit ignore one of Morale result
2) is eliminated - only if attacker knocks out ALL figures of defending unit? If attacker knocks out only one of FIGURES (not all), it not allow him to Pursue. Right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sudden_rus wrote:
2) is eliminated - only if attacker knocks out ALL figures of defending unit? If attacker knocks out only one of FIGURES (not all), it not allow him to Pursue. Right?

All figures - the unit must be eliminated.

Since one pursue condition is that the first hex you pursue onto must be the one where your target was prior to the attack, pursue would be impossible if there were figures left.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitaly Bogdanov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
argwinkle wrote:
sudden_rus wrote:
2) is eliminated - only if attacker knocks out ALL figures of defending unit? If attacker knocks out only one of FIGURES (not all), it not allow him to Pursue. Right?

All figures - the unit must be eliminated.

Since one pursue condition is that the first hex you pursue onto must be the one where your target was prior to the attack, pursue would be impossible if there were figures left.

Thanks!
Clear, finally.
So, pursue for eliminated unit - really it is a chance to attack another unit during same turn. Right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitaly Bogdanov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Guys, thanks for fast response!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sudden_rus wrote:

So, pursue for eliminated unit - really it is a chance to attack another unit during same turn. Right?


Even when you pursue cause of a retreat, you could choose to attack another unit, if a second one is near enough.


I sent a question to Rob concerning pursueing eliminated zealots which rolled morale on their counterattack, will share the answer as soon as i get it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Chaney
msg tools
lannister4live wrote:
sudden_rus wrote:

So, pursue for eliminated unit - really it is a chance to attack another unit during same turn. Right?


Even when you pursue cause of a retreat, you could choose to attack another unit, if a second one is near enough.


I sent a question to Rob concerning pursueing eliminated zealots which rolled morale on their counterattack, will share the answer as soon as i get it.


Counterattacks don't do anything with morale results, I think. They only count in a normal attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, morale counts when counterattacking!
Theres even some commander who can get pursue for counterattacks, dont have the resources at hand to check who it was...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Little Jon Umber from WotN .
I think Nathan has mixed counterattacks with parting blows (where flags are not applied).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Chaney
msg tools
KelemvorBGG wrote:
It's Little Jon Umber from WotN .
I think Nathan has mixed counterattacks with parting blows (where flags are not applied).


Yeah, I did. And that is indeed the Smalljon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterFel wrote:
KelemvorBGG wrote:
It's Little Jon Umber from WotN .
I think Nathan has mixed counterattacks with parting blows (where flags are not applied).


Yeah, I did. And that is indeed the Smalljon.


Upsss! Robin Hood seal of approval.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, got answer from Rob, concerning zealots:

Rob Kouba wrote:
Greetings

Zealots can spoil pursuit like this since the first space of pursuit must be the zealot hex in the example. Hopefully that is clear.

Thanks

FFG


That is, if a killed zealots unit rolls morale on their counterattack, and the attacker is forced to retreat, he cant pursue, since he has to enter the zealot-hex first, and cant.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.