Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so Im waiting on my copy which has been sent out. I just wanted to find out which map would be best to start with considering that My gaming partner and myself have not played anything from the N20 yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
Ok so Im waiting on my copy which has been sent out. I just wanted to find out which map would be best to start with considering that My gaming partner and myself have not played anything from the N20 yet.

Seems to me I remember reading somewhere when the game was in development that the Salamanca scenario was designed to introduce the system to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one system where you can anywhere you like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salamanca is good because it takes a few turns for the armies to engage.
Not having the weather to deal with makes a little easier than Waterloo IMHO. None are difficult though. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
I just wanted to find out which map would be best to start with...

My recommendation would be to start with 'Waterloo 20' without using any of the optional rules (Leaders, Fatigue, weather, etc). Assuming you have any experience with hex-n-counter wargames, you'll be able to pick up the basics without any difficulty. After that, try the same game again, but this time using the optionals, and you'll see how flexible and dynamic the system is. Then move on to the others.

DownriverRick wrote:
...the Salamanca scenario was designed to introduce the system to new players.

It's not really what I'd call "introductory." If you and your partner are already veteran grogs, it's definitely a good one to cut your teeth on to familiarize yourself with the Nappy20 rules, but as a learning/teaching scenario for novices I don't think it'd be that good since it's so short (typically over in about 3 turns -- so maybe 15-20 minutes, tops).

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks guys,

We are not new to war gaming (mostly play WW2 games) I also own no retreat the russian front (GMT version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel compelled to add a comment: unlike many other wargames, where players for some reason feel obligated to use all the optional rules (as if not doing so somehow calls their manhood into question), the optional rules in the "Napoleonic 20" series are absolutely intended to be just that -- optional, designed to be used to fit the individual preferences of the players. We strongly recommend that after getting familiar with the system you experiment with the various optional rules (most notably Fog-of-War, Leaders, and Fatigue) to find the combination that suits your own personal tastes.

Lance McMillan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:

DownriverRick wrote:
...the Salamanca scenario was designed to introduce the system to new players.

It's not really what I'd call "introductory." If you and your partner are already veteran grogs, it's definitely a good one to cut your teeth on to familiarize yourself with the Nappy20 rules, but as a learning/teaching scenario for novices I don't think it'd be that good since it's so short (typically over in about 3 turns -- so maybe 15-20 minutes, tops).

Lance McMillan

Wait, what? A 3-day scenario typically ends before the first night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cohen
msg tools
I don't have the game in front of me right now, but as I recall you can't even have a combat in Salamanca until turn 4 or 5, as the units enter the map pretty far apart. I guess there's an optional scenario in Salamanca I'm forgetting?

To answer the question, I've now tried Smolensk, Borodino, and Salamanca FtF, and would definitely recommend Salamanca as your first of those three...but remember we're talking 1 game (each) in a pretty new system (to me), so I easily could be missing things.

That said, I had a hard time digesting Smolensk. Borodino is pretty straight forward...but it seems more like the Russians running and hoping for a chance to turn the tables. Salamanca is two relatively even sides jabbing over (to me) interesting terrain.

-Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:

Yes. I'm referring to the "Historical Battle Scenario" (rule 17.1). It starts about halfway through the second day and often (about 60% of the time) ends before the start of the third day. Intended to be a very short "tournament" style scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
cfmcdonald wrote:

Yes. I'm referring to the "Historical Battle Scenario" (rule 17.1). It starts about halfway through the second day and often (about 60% of the time) ends before the start of the third day. Intended to be a very short "tournament" style scenario.

I see, makes sense, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.