Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Garth, John and I played through a 3-player game of Castles of Burgundy yesterday. We'd all played before, although we needed one or two rules reminders, and we forgot about the alternating mine/castle until turn 3 (so turns 3 and 4 had the mine rather than the castle on the "6" square).

The first round saw me get off to a handy lead by completing a castle square, a small 2-village and a 2-ship. I had 37 points to John's 30 and Garth's 11. Garth had gained a mine, however, so his monetary position was stronger than mine, and he'd also gained a skill; he could take goods from two adjacent areas when he took a ship. Unfortunately, he forgot about it for most of the rest of the game!

John, meanwhile, had three separate skills at the end of the first round: 2 coins could buy *any* tile, he could adjust his die by 1 whenever he took a tile from the main board, and he could adjust his die when placing pastures or ships. This was pretty useful - my own lack of skills worried me.

Merric=green (bottom), Garth=blue (top-left), John=red (top-right)

The scores narrowed in the second round - 59-53-47 - although the order was unchanged. I gained my first mine, and played three of the eight buildings I needed to complete the biggest village in the game. I traded away my first goods as well. A small chicken-farm was started but not completed.

Garth finished an area of three skills: he could now place castles, skills and mines with an adjustment to the die. The other skill gave him a coin whenever he took workers, one of my favourites in the game.

Otherwise, he built a mine and started farming sheep.

John went farming and otherwise got onto the initiative track.

The next round saw some big scoring, although once again the order didn't change - 99-83-74 - and the gap opened up again. John had gone ship-happy, and was very clearly going first each turn, and I was very clearly going last, which wasn't something to be overjoyed about.

My big accomplishment this round was to reach three mines. I'd also taken the skill that allows a die adjustment when placing fields, and I had big plans for my farms. Garth had spent his time with buildings and shipping, whilst John had finished playing all of his castles, taking the 6-point award for that, whilst starting a couple of villages and finishing one of his water areas.

The fourth round saw John emphatically take the lead: 125-106-102. I slipped back to second place in a round that only saw me score seven points! I completed one castle, but otherwise my turn was entirely consumed with trying to complete my big village; I was only two buildings away at the start of the final turn, with one of them unplayed on my board. I just needed the last to appear. (I was lucky: it did!)

John achieved this lead on the basis of completing a five-farm, split between three types of animal. It wasn't perhaps quite as many points as he might have achieved, but it was enough to seriously worry me. Could I catch up? With my eight-village, perhaps I could.

Garth, meanwhile, was somewhat in the doldrums: he completed one three-farm of cattle, and was close to completing another of sheep, but it didn't look like he had enough big scoring opportunities left.

This proved to be the case: Garth scored a handsome 48 points in the final round to bring his score to 150, but that was nowhere near what he needed. The final scoring saw me claw my way back to just behind John and - finally - just past him, to reach a score of 186 to his 182!

It took some doing. My savior was the eight-farm, which I completed, and the bonus points tile: 4 for each type of animal I had, which gave me 12 points and just moved me past John's score. My final board is below:

John finished his ships, his mines, and two villages in the final round, which gave him a lot of points. He didn't ship away as many goods as he might have liked, though he was extremely wealthy (7 coins!) at game end.

Garth was able to get the skill that gave him 1 VP for every tile he'd shipped, but that was about it. He'd completed his farms, but the bonus points weren't as high-scoring as he needed. (Apologies for the photo; the reflected light was a pain, and this long-shot was the best I had).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great report Merric. I'm even more keen to play this now.. I love a game where the lead changes frequently (unless I'm winning ) and you can't really predict what your opponents are going to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
[...] and I was very clearly going last, which wasn't something to be overjoyed about.
[...]
I was only two buildings away at the start of the final turn, with one of them unplayed on my board. I just needed the last to appear. (I was lucky: it did!)

When being last in player order, i'm surprised you got it. If a tile is worth 15+ points for a player (in your case 36 points), the players before him in player order will usually grab it. In our group, you need to concentrate on this city to finish it early (say round 3), or ensure to be first in player order to grab the necessary tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
MerricB wrote:
[...] and I was very clearly going last, which wasn't something to be overjoyed about.
[...]
I was only two buildings away at the start of the final turn, with one of them unplayed on my board. I just needed the last to appear. (I was lucky: it did!)

When being last in player order, i'm surprised you got it.

I don't think John or Garth were paying enough attention. (It also came up twice, I ended up buying it from the black tiles).

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
... we forgot about the alternating mine/castle until turn 3 (so turns 3 and 4 had the mine rather than the castle on the "6" square).

I've played a few games of this, and read your session report - have to say, I had no idea what the rule is you're talking about. Dug out my manual, read through it - ack! This needs to be big / bold / noted in the "Summary" column / written on a board somewhere to stand out!

For anyone who didn't catch it:
In a 3 player game, the dark green castle with a 6 on it alternates between a castle (phase A, C, E) and a mine (phase B, D).

Outside of that - love the session report. My gaming group is really only starting to get into the game, and so far it's been a big hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.