Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carmen Musarra
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card states that X unit receives 1 wound in addition to any other wounds from this attack, does that include 0? Like if I miss my roll, does the defending unit still receive one wound? Had a little disagreement the other night.

I say no. I say in addition to any wounds means 1 or more +1 additional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd assume that the additional wound would not be dealt unless the initial attack inflicted wounds. I could be wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
Boise
Id
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've interpreted it (and I think the way the iOS does it) is that any truly means ANY: whether that attack does 0 wounds, 1 wound, etc, the ability would add one wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes.

You write "If I miss my roll," but each die is a roll to wound, not a roll to attack. The attack is an arbitrary decision by the player, and the ability supplies one extra "roll-free" wound for that attack.

"Any" amount includes 0; and 0 + 1 = 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you're not going to take my word for it, but I am positive that you were incorrect. "In addition to any wounds" means however many wounds are inflicted, even if that's 0, add 1 more wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Any' means "any" and includes "none". It's +1 wound on top of whatever is normally dealt (even zero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw that is how it is implemented in the iOS app (presumably with Plaid Hat's blessing) as well (e.g. that champion does 1-3 damage when attacking). I think it may be clarified in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Musarra
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Fwiw that is how it is implemented in the iOS app (presumably with Plaid Hat's blessing) as well (e.g. that champion does 1-3 damage when attacking). I think it may be clarified in the FAQ.

Well damn. I guess I was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
QPCloudy wrote:
When a card states that X unit receives 1 wound in addition to any other wounds from this attack, does that include 0? Like if I miss my roll, does the defending unit still receive one wound? Had a little disagreement the other night.

I say no. I say in addition to any wounds means 1 or more +1 additional.

I know the question has already been answered numerous times, but the key here is the wording. It doesn't say, "if wounded by this attack" (in which case I would agree with you), it says "in addition to any other". Which means regardless of how many wounds you might get, this gives one more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Maelena's Special Ability:

"When attacking with Maelena, in addition to any Wound Markers dealt by the attack itself, add 1 Wound Marker to the card being attacked."

And then check the first FAQ question about her ability:

"Q: Does Maelena have to do damage to a Card in order to inflict the automatic wound caused by her BURNING BLADE?

A: No. The Card Maelena is attacking always takes the automatic wound from Burning Blade, even if Maelena doesn’t inflict any wounds on her roll."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
The question asked, and the intended question are completely different. So remember its always better specify what card you are referring to and dont be vague.

In this case the question was never if any also meant 0, since that is not how Maelena is worded

As has been said, her card specifically says 'in addition to any', keyword being 'addition' and not 'any'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone was having trouble with the concept of 'addition' - it was whether that applied when you missed your attack roll completely, hence we answered why we did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.