Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lambert
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I recently purchased Seafarers and have so far only played it a couple times, with four players and with 3. So I haven't got to the huge scenarios yet. But when I first pulled it out to see how the board looks set up, I had some thoughts as to what they should have included in the 5-6 player expansion, if they wanted to give you something for your money. Feel free to agree/disagree/tweak. Not that this is really important, but perhaps it might lead to some interesting new scenarios/rules variations/customizations.

-- More expanders to make the board bigger.

I know you don't need to use the edge pieces anyway, but they make it look nice. You get 8 more ocean hexes, but the scenarios need more land, so where are you supposed to put that ocean? The easiest thing would have been two more "X" pieces to make it even longer (adding another row of 6), but they could also do something to make it wider, to add another row of ten. [looking at the frame pieces themselves, this might make it come out sort of crooked, but it could be done].

-- 2 more ships of *every* color.

This is to compensate for the bigger board and having to cover more distance.

-- 1 forest, 1 pasture, 1 farmland.

Since you only got one of each of these in Seafarers, these would round things out. And give you something besides 1 gold and 8 water hexes in a $20+ box.

So what do you think? Making this list, I'm beginning to see why they *didn't* include some of these things that I wish they did. You start getting into some issues of scale. If the board has more producing hexes, then you might need more resource cards, or more settlements to build. For example:

- 1 more city of every color
- 1 more settlement of every color

- 2 more resource cards of every type

But then you run into balance problems - like needing to increase the number of victory points by 1 or 2 to compensate for having more settlement pieces to play. But there is one scenario (Greater Catan) that already calls for each player having 8 cities, so that is nothing new. A few extra pieces would allow you to play a few larger scenarios, but stick to the regular number in the smaller ones.

Since the list just got pretty long, perhaps some of it should be added to the basic Seafarers box instead (like the extra city and settlement). There was not enough for your money in that box to start with.

When I first got Settlers, I read the reviews on this site and others, and saw people saying that Cities and Knights was a better value while Seafarers didn't give you much; so I bought C&K instead. 3 years later, I like Seafarers better, but I would have bought it sooner if not for those comments. So perhaps it would benefit Kosmos/Mayfair to beef it up a little bit (both basic Seafarers and the 5-6 expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Well since I work on creating big scenarios, I purchased 2 basic game boxes..
Originally I planned on simply using the wodden pieces to create an 8-player expansion, but with the size of my scenarios, and the fact that in some of them, only 2 players start on each "mainland" (Read; Catan and Xalan) the players would never meet up with each other..

I do agree with you, there should have been more board expanders.. But that's easily remedied, if you have 2 seafarers (or regularly play with someone who has seafarers) since you can use the H-G and D-C pieces, making the board 4 hexes wider (and the X and X-X pieces making it 5 hexes longer)

The largest frame with one seafarers is too small for 2 basic games and 1 seafarers expansion.. I always end up with 7 spare hexes.. Imagine putting the 5-6 player hexes on top of that..

As I said, I agree with you, this should have been in the box.. But to me, ofcourse it doesn't matter (I just ordered 2 basic game and 2 seafarers 5-6 player boxes.. Next thing is to order an extra Seafarers and then naturally Cities and Knights.. I don't use C&K expansion in my scenarios, except for one part.. The new trading resources for my own additions to the game.. I realised too late, there were only 6 of each in the 5-6 player box

Well to make a long story short.. I agree with you..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamim A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have to agree. The price point is ridiculous for this and also, I'm really really angry about the fact that this also requires the 5-6 player standard expansion. Also, the brochures that they throw in with the basic game is VERY misleading. They show a diagram of what items to buy to get the correct expansion. The diagram makes it look like you can get a 5-6 player expansion by buying the basic Catan game, then the seafarers game, and then the seafarers 5-6 player expansion. However, it's obvious that you also need the basic 5-6 player expansion since that includes the extra development cards, roads, settlements, and cities. Very misleading and over-priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.