Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone! I had decided to take a break from purchasing new games for a few months, because my wife and I have been lucky enough to add too many to our collection over the holiday and have yet to play all of them. As luck would have it, Agricola: All creatures big and small came back in stock and has forced me to make just 1 more order (been wanting to get it for a long time). In order to round out my order and get free shipping. I am looking to add either Fantastiqa or Agent of Smersh (since it is now the same price due to a big CSI discount).

These are both games I want (typically play 2 player), but I am having a real hard time deciding which one to get now and which one to get perhaps 6 months from now. I am hoping someone has played both and could make my decision a little easier...Any input would be great, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff slaga
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems like two very different games: a deck builder w/ board presence vs a story driven game much like Araabian Nights????

Personally I think Fantastiqa is very playable for two and scales well to four. It's the most played game of our post Xmas haul. We like the easy access but complex strategy decisions, the artwork, and that u get powerful cards easily and often. The only thing we would improve is the "cluttered" iconography of the cards--which can lead to frequent mistaken card plays.

for the record: I dislike Agricola cuz I feel that's it's multiplayer solitaire but a couple we play with ironically, said that Fantastiqa reminds them in an oblique way of the solitaire but future planning w/ some effect upon others of Agricola. The love Agricola and liked Fantastiqa.

I decided against Agents of Smersh myself even though I was initially attracted because it appears to play better w/ more than two players and I'm not really into the story thing---which is it's "thing".

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply! I ended up posting this in both forums and got some great reply's. I knew they were very different games, so I was unsure if posting my question would even be worth it. Needless to say, I am happy that I did end up posting. I went ahead and decided to go with Agents of SMERSH for a couple of reasons. First, it was on sale for only $49 (Fantastiqa is always around $45) and came with the encounter book. Second, I love a good story, but have no real story games yet, but have a few deck builders already. So it looks like story first and then maybe another deck builder later down the pike. Thank you again for your response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
An interesting exercise. You asked the same question in two forums, and got a much stronger response over on the other side from the Smersh fans. A compelling outcome, but perhaps its just that Smersh has had time to build up a larger following since release?

I have no opinion on either game, but I was strongly considering Fantastiqa. On the basis of your threads however, I shall have to consider SMERSH also, which until now was completely off my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Fantastiqa. It's a great twist on deck-building and the components are, well, fantastic. It has a dual-effect in that the game set-up is very interesting and is fun to jump into, PLUS, when the game is over and everyone is satisfied, it's a beautiful addition to the shelf.

It is a great two-player experience with lots of "think ahead" strategy for fulfilling quests and moving about the board when adventuring.

I like the concept of deck-building games, but I'm not into Dominion and I'm bored with Ascension. THIS game gets it right: take the mechanic and add a board, fantasy elements and a bang for your buck with awesome pieces, card quality and an overall esthetic that I've not had in other games.

Visit Fantastiqa, you'll love your stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
Go with Fantastiqa. It's a great twist on deck-building and the components are, well, fantastic. It has a dual-effect in that the game set-up is very interesting and is fun to jump into, PLUS, when the game is over and everyone is satisfied, it's a beautiful addition to the shelf.

It is a great two-player experience with lots of "think ahead" strategy for fulfilling quests and moving about the board when adventuring.

I like the concept of deck-building games, but I'm not into Dominion and I'm bored with Ascension. THIS game gets it right: take the mechanic and add a board, fantasy elements and a bang for your buck with awesome pieces, card quality and an overall esthetic that I've not had in other games.

Visit Fantastiqa, you'll love your stay.

Oooh nice nice things you have to say about it! I canNOT wait to get it (held up by Las Vegas pre-order--when will I ever learn?!) Dominion went over like a lead balloon here, too, and the only other deck building game we have is Seasons which we are finding to be great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.