Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
New to us all (a recent purchase of Tim’s). An interesting trading/set collecting game matched with a superficially silly method of trying to establish trading colonies – but in fact the strange “shuffle and drag to extract a coloured block” mechanism represents a perfect way of balancing probability. It just looks silly (and repeated play will probably wear out the board!). I took the view that the first and most important thing to do was to get the largest possible hand, so on my very first round I managed to increase to an 11-card hand and got to 13 shortly after. Simon was building trading stations and looked to be getting out to an early lead, but my large card holding started to take effect. I traded for just about any set I could get, using the ones on planets I didn’t have much presence on to increase my technology level. Then a late burst of station-building put me into contention, though I missed one green station that I had a decent chance of on my last action. I reckoned if I'd built that I was sure of victory, but missing out on it meant it was going to be tight. Tim had also been building a lot of stations and when the final round finished it turned out we both had 65 points; however my superior technology level acted as tie-breaker and so I won. Therefore it’s a good game! Actually, I do like it, it’s quicker than many we play (we tend not to play games particularly fast as most of us agonise, at one point or another, over what to do) and the random initial set-up is a nice touch. Robin, however, hit the same problem as recently in Res Publica – lots of pairs and not enough longer sets. Perhaps I was lucky with my first hand, in managing to get a set of three and four. Still, definitely worth playing again. When I lose horribly, I'll decide it's not so good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.