Hide
6 Posts

King of Tokyo: Power Up!» Forums » General

Subject: Power Up and 5-6 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
Contrarily to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to prune my collection.
badge
Meow.
mb
As a general matter of fact, I feel that 5-6 players makes the life very hard for monsters in Tokyo. The main issue is that random rerolls means player will often strike when they didn't intend to, and each player will deal an average 1 flat damage per turn, more once powers come into the mix. That means in my large group, players never stay in Tokyo past early-game because they don't want to lose half their life (or more) for two VPs. Two perverse effects:

- Since monsters leave Tokyo ASAP, there's only one of them at a given time, and up to 5 monsters striking it, which makes the problem even worse.
- A monster in Tokyo will leave before its turn and not strike monsters outside.

You might say this is dependent on group psychology, and indeed we tried to shake things a bit by having more aggressive Tokyo monsters, which was kind of successful because having to spend your turn healing was hardly a good thing, and you couldn't get revenge on the Tokyo monster because after its death you would either be the most wounded or late in VPs/tech. So things started to self-balance a bit.

Then Power Up came into the mix, rewarding healing. I began seeing half the table solely grinding energy and hearts, preventing themselves from ever dying while never trying to enter Tokyo or distribute a consciously willed punch before someone was on the verge on winning by VPs. (The plan only shifting after the second elimination, generally 1h into the game.) This was a bloody effective strategy, and the experience resulted in being actually less fun for everybody involved, because of its slow pacing.

Any similar or opposite experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mallory
United States
Las Vegas
NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With everyone trying to roll hearts, wouldn't it be relatively safer in tokyo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Contrarily to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to prune my collection.
badge
Meow.
mb
Only about 3 players are rolling hearts, but they still have quite consistently an unwilling punch on their third reroll. Add that to the other player willing to smash heads, you risk losing 5+ life before gaining your 2 VPs. We tried having the most aggressive monsters staying in Tokyo; but punching regenerative things it not efficient, and if you do stuff you could've done outisde, you're basically trading 2 additional VPs for 4 damage, while people are gaining long term advantages.

I didn't stress that I personally like Power Up. I like that it gives a gambling aspect to hearts, while they were a bit too straightforward in the base game (you want to heal just enough to be at your maximum). I like that they now give a path of winning instead of solely a way of not losing. I like the fact that you can get something out of hearts in Tokyo without sacrificing the tension of being there. I also think my group is doing it wrong by adopting monolithic strategies, but that means we're not probably alone to have such a metagame, we're less and less willing to play with the expansion, and I find that's a shame. That might have to do with the fact we yet have to see a victory by VPs, making the sight of it not really threatening, and short-term not really important aside from surviving - especially when surviving means evolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, maybe try increasing Tokio VP bonus to 4?

I suggest doubling the value instead of increasing to one, as after one game you will see how it goes This is a method for establishing range boundaries; 2 is not enough, and how much is too much?

If it turns out to be overpowered, decrease it to 3. If not, leave it at 4 - both ways you will have a more balanced experience in your group : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The group I usually play with is pretty crazy-aggressive. I can only think of one match where someone won through VP's. Last match I started off the first round going into Tokyo, I thought I'd get a quick +2 points while people farmed Energy Cubes early on, I ended up getting killed before it even came around to my second turn.

I just got the Power Up! expansion, looking forward to playing next week, I'm hoping it will help make people a little more passive and mix things up a bit. Of course, from the looks of the cards, the right combo of power ups could just make someone even more aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had this experience at all. How are people accidentally rolling an average of 1 claw each turn? That makes no sense, mathematically. If you were to simply roll the six dice once, you'd have an average of 1 claw, but after rerolling, that should decrease. Are they rerolling all their numbers?

Also, if everyone's rolling for hearts, then Power Up should speed up the game, since people will get cards that will give them better options for winning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.